PDA

View Full Version : First Night - Downtown Disney or Boardwalk?

tkdmom
02-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Hi everyone!

We will be arriving at about 6 pm on Sat., March 20 for our first WDW visit in 8 years. We will not be going to the parks that evening, but wanted to spend the evening immersed in Disney.:mickey:

Do you recommend Downtown Disney or Boardwalk? We spent time at DD 8 years ago but did not go to BW at all. It will be myself, DH and DS(17).

Any advice would be much appreciated!:)

Rekenna
02-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Both are very nice! I see that you are staying at POFQ, on the resort section of Intercot it says you can take a boat on the Sassagoula River to DTD-so that might be nice. A relaxing boat cruise to DTD for dinner and a little Disney shopping to get you in the mood...:mickey:

comicguy
02-14-2010, 04:51 PM
I second the boat idea to DTD. Nothing like wandering around DTD to get me in the mood for all things WDW. I can eat, shop, and experience WDW and still not go to the parks.

I should add we do this on our arrival day, so maybe I am a bit biased.:secret:

sassafras
02-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Definitely DTD! There's not as much to see and do at the Boardwalk, although it is fun to go over and see everything there. Plus the dining and boat ride to DTD !

tkdmom
02-14-2010, 06:01 PM
It sounds pretty much unanimous - DTD it is! Thanks everyone!:thanks:

caryrae
02-14-2010, 07:09 PM
We did the boat ride on our last trip and it was very nice. I think it drops you off close to the Rainforest Cafe, so when you get off the boat you will right in the Marketplace area.

bruin1344
02-14-2010, 07:30 PM
Although i love jellyrolls and espn club, DTD is best option since they have great restaurants, nice shops, and some entertainment.

Tink#64
02-15-2010, 12:55 AM
I second the boat idea to DTD. Nothing like wandering around DTD to get me in the mood for all things WDW. I can eat, shop, and experience WDW and still not go to the parks.

I should add we do this on our arrival day, so maybe I am a bit biased.:secret:

:ditto:

DTD on arrival day is one of our WDW traditions ever since our 1st trip! It's just our way to kick off our WDW week! :D

dumbo ears
02-15-2010, 11:49 AM
I would say boardwalk because ive always had a love for it at night. It was the first place I went to on my first real disney trip. Its just has a elagance and ambiance at night that can't be missed. DTD defintely does have some great things to see and do and probably more things to do but it will defintely be crowded. but if you want the true disney feel and very little crowds you will want to go boardwalk. I would recomend the big river brewery. they have great burgers and my parents enjoy their beers and wines. Also if you could go over to one of the other resorts in the boardwalk area and eat. they all have great places, shulas at the dolphin is excellent! hope this helps!:thumbsup:

tkdmom
02-15-2010, 12:00 PM
I would say boardwalk because ive always had a love for it at night. It was the first place I went to on my first real disney trip. Its just has a elagance and ambiance at night that can't be missed.

Thanks for this input dumbo ears. DH and I discussed and he really has his heart set on BW. He thinks we should do something that first night that we have never done before.

We'll keep talking and make a final decision at the last minute. I guess the up side is that no matter what we decide, it will be a wonderful evening!:magic:

MaxPower
02-15-2010, 12:34 PM
The Boardwalk has a much calmer feel than Downtown Disney. However, some would intgerpret that fact as "boring." If you want a lot of choices and activity - go to Downtown Disney.

crazygoalie39
02-16-2010, 01:05 AM
We absolutely love the Boardwalk. The atmosphere is amazing. It's one of my favorite places to be at WDW at night. But, since you're saying at POFQ, it would definitely be easier to go to DTD and might actually be almost as fun taking a nice boat ride.

VWL Mom
02-16-2010, 07:51 AM
With a DS17, I would go for BW. If he likes sportsl, you could eat a ESPN and probably catch some of the Final Four games or maybe some spring training games. My DS14&DS17 enjoyed walking the BW at night, watching the performers, and playing some of the games. Was a relaxing way to spend an evening.

IMO, DTD on a Saturday night will be very crowded with kids "hanging out". Not exactly my cup of tea.

divinedi
02-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Tradition for us has become to go to DTD on our first night. We've generally been up for a long time by the time we get to DW, go to room and unpack and head to DTD to get a bite to eat at Wolfgang Puck's, then wander around knowing this is our first day and we are finally 'home' :cloud9:!!! Then it's an early night so we're ready for our first full day at DW:thumbsup:

kemps@wdw
02-26-2010, 11:01 PM
We usually arrive @ WDW later in the aftenoon as well and always spend our 1st night @ DTD. A light supper, pin trading, World of Disney, and getting all my scrapbooking supplies. Early to bed, after a looooong road trip, and fresh and ready EARLY the next AM to hith the parks!

Pop Centurion
02-26-2010, 11:13 PM
I'd say DTD also. Try to take a ride on Characters in Flight to get a beautiful view during the sunset then follow by a nice dinner. After that just enjoy yourselves walking through DTD shopping and exploring the different shops.

Darbylew
02-27-2010, 12:30 PM
We always arrive late afternoon so we always
go to DTD for the evening. We like to eat at
Wolfgang Puck's Express. Great food! Then we
look around the shops and stop at Ghiraradelli.
Not sure what the characters in flight is? Wish
I knew something about it. Shorty can you tell
us about it? :confused:
Love going in all the shops!
GOING BACK IN MAY! :D

cer
02-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Characters in Flight is a new HUGE tethered helium balloon that you take ride up in and can see the World!

queenmom9497
02-27-2010, 04:09 PM
The last 2 years, we've done DTD....and this year we are staying at Boardwalk so.....we'll maybe do both! Luckily, we are arriving early in the day so we might hit a park instead....DTD is an awesome place to hang and get acclimated for the magic to begin. Tons of shops and yummy restaurants....can't go wrong with DTD....esp if you are arriving earlier in the day....if you don't have a park hopper pass and/or don't want to "waste" a pass for just a few hours...then definately do DTD. You could, if you have a park hopper, go to Epcot, take a boat to BW, hang out there for a while and end your nite at Disney STudios....or vice-versa.....