PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Old Key West

azcavalier
02-12-2010, 12:27 PM
So, we're DVC members, and Old Key West is our home resort, but we've never stayed there. We have reservations in May to stay there. We're on the wait list for Bay Lake Towers or the Villas at Wilderness Lodge, but I doubt we'll actually get either of them. And, truth be told, i'm kind of excited to stay at Old Key West as well.

I know that it's the first DVC property, and I think that the rooms are bigger than most, but that's about all I know.

Mickey'sGirl
02-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Honestly, our 6 year old son is extremely upset that we will NOT be staying there for a portion of our trip this year (our home resort is BWV, and then we'll be going to AKL). Both of the boys LOVED it, as did we.

We had a 1BR overlooking a golf course, and not too far from the main building and Olivia's. The room was huge, the balcony was spacious, the view was agreeable, the pool was fantastic, check-in was painless, and Olivia's serves very good food.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did! :thumbsup:

KAT1811
02-12-2010, 07:59 PM
We LOVE Old Key West!!! We were there for two weeks in November. We were overlooking the golfcourse in a 2BR. The pool area is wonderful, Olivia's was great and never crowded, the resort is nice and quiet, the bus service some of the best I have ever had at WDW, and the boat ride to DTD was a great treat!!! I can't say enough wonderful things about OKW!!!

It's funny we were thinking of trying another DVC resort this year but can't bring ourselves to stay anywhere other than OKW! We liked it that much!!!

P.S. - BLT is the last DVC resort we would stay at. Personally I'm not a fan of contemporary decor. Plus (I may be wrong) but it seems like you are off in "left field" so to speak. The skyway walkway to connect to the CR, I just couldn't warm up to it. DH and I looked at the sample units wheh they were building BLT and it just didn't feel "Disney" to us. Just my :twocents:, to each his own.

epceddie
02-13-2010, 01:00 AM
My wife and I are DVC members at Old Key West and we love the resort. Allison loves having a jacuzzi tub in the spacious 1BR's that we've stayed in and we had a wonderful stay one time in a studio with a porch in Building 45 that overlooked the waterway the boats use to go to Saratoga Springs and Downtown Disney. The studios are also very spacious (with two twin beds), we like the main pool, and we've always had peaceful, relaxing vacations at OKW. Plus, we like to go during the low seasons and we're really able to stretch our 150 vacation points. We've been able to visit OKW three times a year the last couple of years and this year will be no different. We went in January, we're returning in May, and we'll also be going in October.

Checkers
02-13-2010, 09:46 AM
My wife and I are DVC members at Old Key West and we love the resort. Allison loves having a jacuzzi tub in the spacious 1BR's that we've stayed in and we had a wonderful stay one time in a studio with a porch in Building 45 that overlooked the waterway the boats use to go to Saratoga Springs and Downtown Disney. The studios are also very spacious (with two twin beds), we like the main pool, and we've always had peaceful, relaxing vacations at OKW. Plus, we like to go during the low seasons and we're really able to stretch our 150 vacation points. We've been able to visit OKW three times a year the last couple of years and this year will be no different. We went in January, we're returning in May, and we'll also be going in October.

Couldn't agree with you more! OKW is one of our "homes" and we just love it. Now that it is being refurbished this year we will love it even more. Also, I believe the studios have 2 Queen beds if I'm not mistaken.

azcavalier
02-13-2010, 04:35 PM
P.S. - BLT is the last DVC resort we would stay at. Personally I'm not a fan of contemporary decor. Plus (I may be wrong) but it seems like you are off in "left field" so to speak. The skyway walkway to connect to the CR, I just couldn't warm up to it. DH and I looked at the sample units wheh they were building BLT and it just didn't feel "Disney" to us. Just my :twocents:, to each his own.

:) The only reason we're interested in staying at BLT is because we have never stayed for Wishes, or any of the end-of-the-night fireworks shows. We've never wanted to fight the crowds/traffic to get to the buses, and then have to wait to get on a bus back to the resort. Plus, we have always had smaller children with us, and that's just too late for them. So, since it's just the two of us, we figure that if we stay at BLT, we can walk to the Magic Kingdom. And all the other parks we can drive to and get great parking. So, we wouldn't be staying there because of the decor...just because it would be so convenient to the Magic Kingdom.

g8rgirl29
02-13-2010, 05:28 PM
We Love OKW! The laid back atmosphere is just what we need at the end of a day of rushing around the parks. I love the large size of the rooms cuz even if you are in a studio you feel like you have space to spread out when you get back to the room. Plus the 2queen sized beds in the Studio are great as opposed to one queen and one pull out. The rooms are older but clean and I think items have been replaced as they need repairs in my experience. I love meals at Olivia's, it is a much slower pace with great wait staff. From the front desk staff, to bell service to mousekeeping we have had wonderful experiences. I especially Love the bell service staff. Some of the staff have been there since we went in 2007 and it feels like going home when we are there. I love catching up with them and seeing how their year has been. I love taking the boat ride to DTD. The pool never seems crowded when we are there, bus service is fantastic. The only thing we have noticed is that towel animals are far and few between. If you have daily mousekeeping and tip you will see more animals I think. They always go out of there way to do fun things with DD's stuffed animals though if they don't leave a towel animal.

WelshieLover
02-15-2010, 11:59 AM
We are not DVC members but have stayed at OKW twice. We never would have tried it if we did not have friends who we stayed with our first visit. It is so beautiful. If you have a car it is perfect as you can park right outside your room. The views we have at the 2 different locations we stayed at were beautiful - overlooking the golf course, and lakes with fountains, no parking lot views! The rooms are so much larger than the other DVCs. The full size laundry room is much better than the stackable washer dryer at the other DVCs. There is something so relaxing and so tropical about this resort which coming from the northeast we really loved. Olivias is great and never crowded and the boat to DTD is an attraction in itself.

badkitty
02-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Couldn't agree with you more! OKW is one of our "homes" and we just love it. Now that it is being refurbished this year we will love it even more. Also, I believe the studios have 2 Queen beds if I'm not mistaken.

Is the refurb happening now? What is being done? Does it affect the views at the resort?

I will be there in three weeks.

ChewyStriker
02-18-2010, 03:19 PM
We are not DVC members, but OKW is our favorite resorts. We'll be arriving there on Sunday and it will be our fourth time renting points to stay there. We love the size of the 1br units with the jacuzzi tub and the ability to do laundry with a 4 year old in tow if need be. I, as a mom, love banishing the boys to the sleeper sofa in the living room and getting the master bedroom all to myself each night (ahh...the rewards of doing all the vacation planning! :secret:)

Most of all, I think we just love the ambiance. Love to stroll along the main area and listen to the island music. We also enjoy the boat ride to DTD. Good luck with whatever you choose!