PDA

View Full Version : Yacht Club- Tell Me About It!

SBETigg
02-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Finally, after all these years, we're trying something new. We love the monorail resorts and have a hard time breaking away. Our last few stays were at our favorite Grand Floridian. But the husband and I have decided to take another break of our own without kids (one's in college, the other will be in France) at WDW, and MJ's Denise got us a nice deal at the Yacht Club.

And I realized that I probably hear less about the YC than any other WDW resort. People talk about Stormalong Bay, Yachtsman's Steakhouse, and I hear about the Beach Club and Boardwalk now and then, but very little about the Yacht Club as a resort. So tell me what you know, what you love, or what you didn't, about the Yacht Club.

Transportation options: how are the buses? I know it's convenient to Epcot and DHS, which is why we chose it. WS was our favorite place on our last adult-only stay. Quick Service- do they have one? Is it open late? How are the rooms? Views (we went standard, so I guess that might mean parking lot)? Or anything you want to share. Thanks!

MarkC
02-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Sorry you haven't received any responses yet. We have never stayed at Yacht Club but have several times at its fraternal twin Beach Club. I'm guessing the rooms are similar to Beach Club and are very nice. Its a great place to stay for an adults only vacation. It is much more quiet than most other resorts. No quick service restaurants but the Beach Club has a marketplace where you can grab a few items. Pool is awesome. You are right about a great location-- you are about a 5 minute walk from World Showcase.

We've had very good luck with the bus service. Maybe a couple of times we've had to wait 10-20 minutes but that's been rare. There is no bus service to Hollywood Studios, so you either have to drive, walk about 20 minutes, or take the boats, which can be slow. That's the only negative. We normally end up driving there. I can't imagine you won't love the place. The grounds and location are both awesome. Enjoy!

Jenemmy
02-12-2010, 04:50 PM
It has been a few years since we stayed there -- and it was only 2 nights at that. We actually booked an off property hotel (don't even ask me why -- good rates, I suppose) but we were miserable. We called Reservations and they gave us Yacht Club. We had a view that overlooked the back of the hotel/Boardwalk/Swan and Dolphin. I ADORED relaxing on the balcony and taking in the early morning sights before the family got up.

The room was lovely, as was the location. IMO, there is quite a formal air about it. I had the urge to always be sure my kids were quiet, looking straight ahead and not slouching as they walked through the lobby. LOL. While I prefer things a bit more casual, there is absolutely nothing I can find to complain about. As the last poster stated, I really think this is a perfect resort for a grown ups only trip.

For the life of me, I can't recall the quick service option. I know we did room service one evening and were pleased with that.

TammiMcMan
02-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Hi Sherri,

Like you, we found it pretty hard to break away from the GF. We also got a great deal to stay at the YC, so we gave it a try. The biggest plus for us, was the proximity to Epcot's world showcase. We were in there constantly, just to grab a bite to eat, see the entertainment or do some shopping. We also enjoyed having the Boardwalk close by for other dining options.

While the GF feels like a secluded resort, the YC puts you more in the middle of the action. One of the biggest differences though is the view. You'd be hard pressed to find a room at the GF with a bad view, even the lower priced garden view rooms. At the YC, I strongly recommend booking a lagoon view room. Most of the standards do overlook the parking lot or convention center. If your budget doesn't allow for the lagoon view, request a room overlooking the gazebo. Try to avoid any rooms in the front of the resort. All in all, it felt a little more "grown up" than the BC. The BC has the character meal, so it tends to have more children and more activity in the lobby area.

We didn't have any problems with the buses and found them to be pretty convenient. For quick service meals, you can go out by the pool to Hurricane Hannahs or walk to the Beach Club's Marketplace (sorry, I don't have the exact hours).

Scar
02-12-2010, 05:06 PM
I had the urge to always be sure my kids were quiet, looking straight ahead and not slouching as they walked through the lobby. LOL.:rotfl: Did you call them "Muffy" and "Skippy"?

WelshieLover
02-12-2010, 05:31 PM
We stayed at the YC some time ago. To be honest we found it very much like the BC with the exception of the decor (a little more formal). The restaurants for the most part are shared as they are in between the 2 resorts overlooking the Storm Along Bay pool area. Quick service if I remember correctly was a very small space off the lobby that served coffee and breakfast and lunch sandwiches. We were not impressed with it and there was no seating at all. Beaches and Cream would be better for a quick lunch or dinner and they do have a take out window in addition to full service.

You are so close to meal choices at the BW Swan and Dolphin too. EIther the Swan or Dolphin has a late night counter service I believe. Also EPCOT is at your back door.

As far as rooms go on our visit we had a standard room that overlooked the quiet pool. I think you will like it very much.

Jenemmy
02-12-2010, 08:30 PM
:rotfl: Did you call them "Muffy" and "Skippy"?

ROFL!!! Yes, and since at that time I only had boys, it didn't go over well.......

bruin1344
02-12-2010, 08:34 PM
ive never stayed at YC but have been there many times, its seems to me like its quieter and less children running around than the beach club

SBETigg
02-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the responses! It helps. Sounds great. I think we will be at World Showcase quite a bit. And the formal feel won't bother us at all. We're used to the GF and we feel comfortable in that kind of environment. Plus, no kids with us. They're older now, anyway. Tammi, thank you for the view advice. It's something to consider.

mouseketeer mom
02-13-2010, 07:51 AM
I liked when Samantha Brown toured the Yacht Club on her show. Did you see that Sherri? How wonderful you are branching out and trying something new!! We always say we are going to do that,and then end up back at the Poly. Have a fantastic time with your DH!!

SBETigg
02-19-2010, 09:10 AM
Thanks, Lisa! I did see the Samantha Brown show, but a few years ago. Maybe I'll see if I can find that online somewhere. Good idea! I'll be sure to do a trip report and let you know how we liked it.