PDA

View Full Version : Acadia National Park

Davyjones
02-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Hey Gang,

My wife and I will be going to Acadia in Maine at the end of August along with some friends (4 of us). Has anyone been there and if so, do you have any suggestions for places to stay? We will be there for 3 nights. Been doing some research and haven't seen anything that has really stood out for us.

Thanks a bunch for any input my friends!! :mickey: :thumbsup:

BRJARE3
02-11-2010, 09:06 PM
We love Acadia. You can spend all 3 days in the park and not see all of it. The town, Bar Harbor, is very touristy. So not what we pictured when we went there. We stayed at a small hotel about 3 miles from the entrance. Not sure of the name. We went 6 years ago. They have so many hotels. We prefer Bed and Breakfasts, but we have children now and most do not allow them to stay there. Enjoy the beautiful hiking trails and scenic drives.

MNNHFLTX
02-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Lucky you! It's been about 7 years since we've been to Acadia, but we have wonderful memories of our visits there (we used to live in New Hampshire). We always went the B&B route too and Bar Harbor has some very pretty ones. Recently some friends stayed at the Primrose Inn up there and really liked it. They had a private porch and entrance that overlooked the shaded yard--perfect for enjoying a glass of wine in the evenings. We always preferred to stay in some of the less touristy towns, like Southwest Harbor or Bass Harbor, although I have no idea what lodging is there anymore. But both beautiful areas.

When you go, make sure and eat at one of the local lobster pounds. As far as hiking trails, the Ocean Path offers beautiful views (although it can get a bit crowded on weekends). Park your car at Otter Point at the top of the trail and stroll the length of the trail down to Sand Beach and enjoy the scenery there (a nice place for a picnic but the water is too cold for a swim--at least for us!) Then take the island shuttle back up to your parked car.

SnowWSue
02-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Hi-I've stayed at the Mira Monte Inn and the Manor House Inn that are in Bar Harbor. Both were very nice. The Manor House Inn has some very cute cottages.

I loved Bar Harbor and Arcadia National Park was awesome. It was one of the best vacations ever!

Davyjones
02-19-2010, 08:04 PM
Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions, gang!!! :mickey: We do consider ourselves lucky that we can go to Acadia! We hear so many good things about it, so we're looking forward to it!! Looking forward to crossing another national park of the list!!!!!

I'll look into all the places you guys mentioned!! Thanks a lot!! :thumbsup:

Stickey
03-10-2010, 12:54 PM
I suggest a B&B located in town. Some B&B' s are a long walk into the center of town, while others can be $$$$. An in town location will allow you to walk to the restaurants and shops.

The Black Friar Inn was outstanding, however it has new inkeepers now. Castle Maine is a larger b&b and is a solid choice, especially if it is your first stay at a b&b. Research several inns to find the best fit.

Acadia is a spectacular park. You will see a lot on the park loop road, but you will need to park and explore some of the trails to maximize your experience. A sea kayak tour is fun as well.