View Full Version : DisneyorBust returns to the 'World" Day 1

DisneyorBust
02-11-2010, 09:55 AM
When: February 2nd thru February 5th
Cast: Me, DisneyorBust and my DW
Why: Do you need a reason to go to WDW?
Resort: Polynesian

DAY 1
We had a 1:50 pm flight to Orlando from Pittsburgh via Southwest Airlines.
The flight was smooth, with a great crew and we arrived just before 4pm. With only carry-on luggage, we quickly made our way to the Magical Express area, no need to stop at the counter, and within 2 minutes we were on Magical Express!
We waited only 7 minutes and were then on our way to the most magical place on earth! The Polynesian was the first stop, this trip has started out great! We arrived 'home' and made our way into the Great Ceremonial House. The unique smell of the Poly welcomed us back and we were happy to be there. DW had done the on-line check in and we were able to walk right up to the counter. The CM that checked us in was earning her 'ears' and needed a little assistance from her trainer but the check was smooth and friendly, normal treatment at the Poly.
We were given at room at the Somoa Longhouse, which was ready, so we made our way to the room and found that it looked out towards the Volcano pool, very nice!
Due to the time of our arrival, we opted to forgo the parks and just enjoy the resort. The only plan for the evening was a dining ADR at the California Grill, so we freshened up from our trip and changed into appropriate attire for the restaurant. We took the resort Monorail (love the Monorail!) and arrived at the Contempory. Had a little diffficulty finding the podium to check in, but soon we were riding the elevator to the California Grill. We were seated shortly after and had a great server.
Brief review: We immediately found the California Grill to be a bit loud. We shared a flatbread as an appetizer and found it to be quite good. DW ordered the Sweet Potato Tortalloni for her entree and I had the Bison. DW liked it, thought is was good but not great. I thoroughly enjoyed the Bison, very tender and flavorful. The corn/mushroom risotto, not so much, not bad but not good either, rather different. All in all, we're glad that we tried it but don't feel that it's worth 2 Dining credits if you're on the DDP.
We also found that the Dress code was ignored by a number of guests, plenty of t-shirts, short shorts etc. We didn't attempt to view WISHES! from the balcony, just prior to the beginning large groups made there way with their children. We opted to watch from our table, and found that we'd rather watch from the hub!
After dinner, we returned to the Poly and took in the ambiance before returning to our room. Need sleep before we hit the parks!

SBETigg
02-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Love that Poly smell. The California Grill is my favorite. T-shirts and shorts are actually allowed in the current dress code. Preferably nicer shirts and dressier shorts, but as long as they aren't swimwear, ripped, or torn, or covered with questionable language (in the case of tees) they'll probably be allowed in. Sorry it wasn't the best for you, but glad you found it okay.

faline
02-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Nice, relaxed beginning to your trip!

kakn7294
02-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Eric, no kids? How'd you manage that one? I'm glad you had a great first day. Looking forward to reading more!

mouseketeer mom
02-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Oh! that Poly smell...I can imagine it right now...You got a great longhouse too! Great start.

DisneyBarb
02-12-2010, 10:45 AM
that Poly smell is heaven...its our families favorite resort.. sounds like a great start to your trip!

ibrowse17
02-12-2010, 12:08 PM
The smells of Disney:cloud9: Have a great rest of your trip:thumbsup:

pdrlkr
02-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the Report! :balloon:

KylesMom
02-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Great start - it's always nice when travel plans actually work this time of the year with no delays! :mickey:

princessgirls
02-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Very nice start to your trip!!

Perfect...

Thanks for sharing!
Julie:mickey:

Beach Club Babe
02-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Sounds like you're off to a great start!

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Sounds like a good start

vizsla
02-20-2010, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the report.

Melanie
03-07-2010, 11:35 AM
I was reading your ending, so I think I should start from the beginning. :thumbsup:

Great start to your trip. Love when everything goes smoothly like that.

DizNee143
03-08-2010, 09:05 AM
sounds like a wonderful start to your vacation! :mickey:

yjgirl32
03-08-2010, 10:37 AM
I would love to try the Poly one year. Went to Ohana's for dinner and fell in love with the place. Thanks for sharing.