PDA

View Full Version : Rumors about a Disney Extreme Park

hauntedmansiongirl
02-10-2010, 09:46 PM
I just talked to my sister who is down in Orlando, and she said that everyone down there (incl. the hotel staff- non-Disney) is talking about Disney making a 5th, extreme themed park at WDW. Has anybody heard anything about this? Thanks!:mickey:

Scar
02-10-2010, 09:52 PM
I've heard about it, but it probably won't happen until after they build the parks in Texas, Indiana, Missouri, and The Carolinas. ;)

Genie1953
02-10-2010, 10:34 PM
I've heard about it, but it probably won't happen until after they build the parks in Texas, Indiana, Missouri, and The Carolinas. ;)

What parks would these be?

DizneyFreak2002
02-10-2010, 11:12 PM
What parks would these be?

All thrill based parks.. BTW, the monorail will connect to every one of them to, via Orlando!!!!

Dragongirlx
02-11-2010, 03:38 AM
All thrill based parks.. BTW, the monorail will connect to every one of them to, via Orlando!!!!

And don't forget the one in Scotland - that's going to be one long monorail line

btharvey
02-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Yep ... it'll go through the Atlantic Oceannull. Cars will queue up for miles, and the trip will only take about (4115 miles @ 35 mph) 4 days, 21 hours, 58 or 59 minutes. The driver's section will be reserved for ... reserve drivers.

SBETigg
02-11-2010, 07:52 AM
I just talked to my sister who is down in Orlando, and she said that everyone down there (incl. the hotel staff- non-Disney) is talking about Disney making a 5th, extreme themed park at WDW. Has anybody heard anything about this? Thanks!:mickey:

You'll have to forgive the good-natured teasing. What people mean is that this is a rumor that has floated for ten years or more. It has never really gotten past the rumor stage, and it's pretty doubtful that it will happen at this time or for the next five or ten years. You'll hear a lot of things from CMs, past or present, or locals that don't have any bearing on the reality of what's in the plans for WDW, and some that do turn out to be true. This one has been shot down pretty thoroughly.

JabberJaws
02-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Yeah this rumor has persisted in one form or another for quite some time, the most prominent that I can recall being a Disney Villains themed park w/ mostly thrill rides/attractions.

For one though, it is just a rumor. Two, IMO a disney "extreme" park or thrill park will NEVER happen. Disney is a family destination through and through and they would never build a park based around a single group of people (thrill seekers), plus..fiscally it wouldn't work and wouldn't fit with Disney's branding.

That being said, there have been talks of Disney creating an experience similar to Discovery Cove at Sea World, utilizing the Bay Lake area. This would be an upcharge "theme park" but not really a theme park anymore than Discovery Cove is a theme park. It would be built around extreme-ish natural experiences (skills courses, outdoor walking/nature hikes, etc.) This could be what is being talked about down there?

Let me do add this one caveat in there though, speaking from experience as I was an in-park frontline CM as well as a disney corp CM (in marketing), CM's really know very...very little. Basically about as much as the general public, though they like to act like they know a lot! :D

seanyred
02-11-2010, 05:16 PM

Hey you forgot about Disney buying out Six Flags near Chicago and making it a Magic Kindgdom:cool:

Joannelet
02-11-2010, 07:44 PM
You know this drives me crazy because when I was a cast member in 1998 we would have to attend tons of classes. One of our classes was with an imagineer (dont' remember which one sorry-if I look in my notes I'm sure I can find his name...) but he had said THEN that there was 5 theme parks in Orlando. We questioned him on this for a long time and he wouldn't give us ANY info except that something was being worked on that an area was being worked on etc....We were asking him if he was including the water parks in this etc and he said NOPE actual theme parks like the 4 that we know. We were looking for areas that were being developed at the time trying to figure out where this "5th park" was to no avail. We did find an area where they were working but that was by animal kingdom and well its where animal kingdom lodge stands today......
This was in 1998!!! I still have NO idea what this guy was talking about!!!!

forever a child
02-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Hey you forgot about Disney buying out Six Flags near Chicago and making it a Magic Kindgdom:cool:

Louisville, Kentucky is now up for grabs!:hi:

DizneyFreak2002
02-13-2010, 11:16 PM
THIS JUST IN: Disney is building a new park in Virginia called Disney's America... Oh wait, nevermind... LOL...

Supercali
03-19-2010, 10:32 PM
There was an article in the Orlando Sentinel about Reedy Creek's projections for the next 10 years of WDW. It implied that there may be a 5th major park, but it wouldn't be open before 2013. I think it assumed that it may open sometime between 2014-2018. The article also said that there may be two minor parks (like a water park, etc.) open within the next 10 years. As for the theme of the major park, I don't know, has anyone else heard any recent good rumors?:thumbsup:

seanyred
03-19-2010, 10:55 PM
There was an article in the Orlando Sentinel about Reedy Creek's projections for the next 10 years of WDW. It implied that there may be a 5th major park, but it wouldn't be open before 2013. I think it assumed that it may open sometime between 2014-2018. The article also said that there may be two minor parks (like a water park, etc.) open within the next 10 years. As for the theme of the major park, I don't know, has anyone else heard any recent good rumors?:thumbsup:

right now I wouldn't hold your breath. Seems like they are more focused on the MK expansion.

Personally I would prefer to see each park get an expansion instead of just adding a 5th gate. Especially DHS and AK.

Supercali
03-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Why can't they add a fifth theme park and add to their existing parks? It's not like they don't have the money.:thumbsup:

Scar
03-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Why can't they add a fifth theme park and add to their existing parks? It's not like they don't have the money.:thumbsup:One of the main problems is they wouldn't be able to staff it at $8.00/hour.

Ian
03-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Why can't they add a fifth theme park and add to their existing parks? It's not like they don't have the money.:thumbsup:It's not about having the money or not having the money, it's about spending your money wisely. What possible upside is there for Disney to adding a 5th gate? It's going to cost them well North of a billion dollars and what will they get for it in return?

The only possibly reason to add a new park is to make more money. How will they make more money by adding a 5th gate? Will more people come to WDW if they have a new park? Maybe in the short term, but long term almost definitely not. People's vacation budgets are relatively fixed. Will people spend more money when they visit? Probably, because ticket prices will be raised, but overhead will go up too.

It's actually a relatively simple equation. Will spending one or two billion dollars to build a new theme park plus the hundreds of millions it takes to operate the park every year generate enough additional revenue in return to make it a wise investment.

Also, as Scar mentioned, where will they get the workers to staff this park? They're already dreadfully short of competent, Disney-quality labor. By creating a need for an additional 5,000 - 10,000 Cast Members will they be putting themselves in an untenable labor situation? More untenable than the one they're in right now, that is.

And here's another thing to consider ... if Disney really wanted to build a 5th park for Orlando the time to start it was 2 years ago when the economy was softening, labor costs were way down, materials costs were down, and you could have had the new park ready to open just in time for the economy to recover and really cash it. Why start now when the economy is finally starting to show signs (however minor) of a recovery? Costs are going to go up and by the time you get the park opened it'll be too late to take advantage of the renewed interest in travel.

caryrae
03-20-2010, 11:50 AM
I heard the next Park would be the "It's A Small World Park" with that song being piped in all over the Park all day long.:listen:

Hammer
03-20-2010, 12:15 PM
The only possibly reason to add a new park is to make more money. How will they make more money by adding a 5th gate? Will more people come to WDW if they have a new park? Maybe in the short term, but long term almost definitely not. People's vacation budgets are relatively fixed. Will people spend more money when they visit? Probably, because ticket prices will be raised, but overhead will go up too.

It's actually a relatively simple equation. Will spending one or two billion dollars to build a new theme park plus the hundreds of millions it takes to operate the park every year generate enough additional revenue in return to make it a wise investment..

I agree that long term, there will not be any real benefit. They still need to spend money to maintain and hopefully add to the 4 parks that are already there in Orlando.

Also, as Scar mentioned, where will they get the workers to staff this park? They're already dreadfully short of competent, Disney-quality labor. By creating a need for an additional 5,000 - 10,000 Cast Members will they be putting themselves in an untenable labor situation? More untenable than the one they're in right now, that is.

And here's another thing to consider ... if Disney really wanted to build a 5th park for Orlando the time to start it was 2 years ago when the economy was softening, labor costs were way down, materials costs were down, and you could have had the new park ready to open just in time for the economy to recover and really cash it. Why start now when the economy is finally starting to show signs (however minor) of a recovery? Costs are going to go up and by the time you get the park opened it'll be too late to take advantage of the renewed interest in travel.

Disney has and will continue to have a staffing problem due to the low wages they pay. As Florida is a right to work state that prohibits strikes, the unions will never truly have any real bargaining power. Disney knows this and can offer lower benefit packages. If Disney wants to get the "Disney" quality labor, they need to raise wages.

As the economy is starting to show signs of recovery (and while some may see it as minor, history has shown that economic recoveries start out small and take a few years to fully take hold), Disney should pour the money into the expansion of Fantasyland. When that is ready in a few years, travel should be back to normal levels (as travel is one of the last industries to recover as vacations are planned in advance).

Supercali
03-20-2010, 12:43 PM
I understand that many on the boards would like to keep WDW in a time capsule, but I must disagree. Sure, right now with the current economy it wouldn't be wise to add a fifth park. However, within the next 10 years the economy and population will grow enough to more than support it. We can all make up reasons why they should or shouldn't add a fifth park, but I trust that the company knows more about the numbers and facts than we do. Time will tell how the fifth park scenario plays out.:thumbsup:

finaldynasty
03-20-2010, 08:05 PM
If Walt builds it, they will come!! :mickey:

seanyred
03-20-2010, 08:46 PM
I understand that many on the boards would like to keep WDW in a time capsule, but I must disagree. Sure, right now with the current economy it wouldn't be wise to add a fifth park. However, within the next 10 years the economy and population will grow enough to more than support it. We can all make up reasons why they should or shouldn't add a fifth park, but I trust that the company knows more about the numbers and facts than we do. Time will tell how the fifth park scenario plays out.:thumbsup:

I'm not opposed to a 5th gate someday. However, I do think that AK and DHS are still incomplete parks. If I was running the show I would be focusing on "plusing" what is currently already their instead undertaking a huge project like a 5th gate.

Supercali
03-20-2010, 11:32 PM
You're absolutely right DHS and DAK need more attention. Here's hoping for an expanded Pixar Place or Lost ride and Beastly Kingdom someday!:thumbsup:

bruin1344
03-21-2010, 11:33 AM
You're absolutely right DHS and DAK need more attention. Here's hoping for an expanded Pixar Place or Lost ride and Beastly Kingdom someday!:thumbsup:

I agree.

MidnTPK
03-22-2010, 05:37 PM
THIS JUST IN: Disney is building a new park in Virginia called Disney's America... Oh wait, nevermind... LOL...
As a local who was very familiar with Disney's America, I have to take issue with grouping it with rumors. It was real plan announced by Michael Eisner and the then-governor of Virginia, and then abandoned.

Whether it was a good idea or not is another matter.

The sad reality of the situation was that the park was defeated by nimby-ism who worried about the park bringing too much traffic too close to historic battlefields. Well, fast-forward to 2009 and guess what the area has: mind-numbingly awful traffic for 12+ hours a day from all of the housing development that went into this area instead.

If the park had been built, the infrastructure to accommodate all of the traffic would have been built, better master planning would have been done, and the area would be much more appealing and efficient today.

Ian
03-22-2010, 07:18 PM
As a local who was very familiar with Disney's America, I have to take issue with grouping it with rumors. It was real plan announced by Michael Eisner and the then-governor of Virginia, and then abandoned.

Whether it was a good idea or not is another matter.I agree, actually. Disney's America was a really for-real theme park that (I think) would have been a great addition to their stable of offerings.

Living so close to the D.C./Virginia area I, for one, really mourn it's loss.

Imagineer1981
03-24-2010, 01:31 PM
I think one day there will be a 5th park, there will be a 2nd downtown disney area over by Animal Kingdom, there will be a 3rd water park, but its all going to take time. Look how much Disney has changed in the last 30 years, its crazy the growth and upgrades. They will add more resorts, upgrade the current parks, etc...but unfortunately for us, we have to be patient :(

tomatoe pie
03-26-2010, 04:46 PM
it could be a roller coaster park. coasters come in all different sizes, shapes, colors and designs. that would be fun. :mickey:

my imagination can see roller coasters that don't even look like a roller coaster.

has anyone ridden crushes (from nemo) roller coaster at disneyland paris? that is one of the most interesting and fun coasters i have ever seen. :number1::pixie: i wish we had one in wdw.

MidnTPK
03-26-2010, 04:52 PM
has anyone ridden crushes (from nemo) roller coaster at disneyland paris? that is one of the most interesting and fun coasters i have ever seen.
I have. I agree that it is really great. I remember feeling like I was floating. A great but smooth thrilling ride without being shaky.

TheRustyScupper
03-26-2010, 11:31 PM
It's not about having the money or not having the money, it's about spending your money wisely.

Especially when this could be 2-5 years of bonuses for Disney senior staff.

Aurora
03-27-2010, 02:36 PM
I really don't see a fifth gate coming to fruition for a very long time, if ever. The late 80s and 90s were periods of explosive growth and financial optimism, the likes of which I don't think we'll ever see again in our lifetimes.

For comparison, in the 11-year period between 1971 and 1982, Disney opened two theme parks (Magic Kingdom and Epcot), two resorts (Poly and Contemporary), and River Country. In the 12-year period from 1988 to 2000, Disney opened two more theme parks, two water parks, and 15 resorts, (three of them DVC). (PM me if you want a list.)

Since 2000, only six resorts have opened, four of them DVC.

WDW's expansion plan currently is selling DVC. I'm sure they're re-examining their business models yet again, as the market for DVC buyers is probably close to saturated. They haven't opened a "regular" resort since 2002, and that was Pop Century, which had already been in the works for years.

It's encouraging to me that they're re-doing Fantasyland. To me that says they're interested in getting visitors back by investing in what they already have. I'm optimistic about the Studios because of that (although they REALLY need some fresh ideas there).

Morpheous
03-28-2010, 01:48 AM
I have to say I don't think a Fifth Park is likely within the Foreseeable future. They are about to reimagine Fantasy Land in the Magic Kingdom, these kinds of things aren't cheap. Especially to the level of what Ive heard they are doing.

Not to mention the Billion Dollar Re-Imagining of California Adventure at the Disneyland Resort. I think of any Disney theme park California Adventure was the one with the biggest need for some investments for changes. Outside of Soarin, and Its a Bugs Life and California Screaming California Adventure really lacked for a Disney Feel.

I just don't see Disney planning to sink any more money at the moment in order to build a 5th Gate. Until their current projects are completed, especially since the new Cars Ride at California Adventure is supposedly the most expensive ride Disney has designed to date.

I have to agree with other posters that its just far more likely that Disney will focus on improvements of current parks over entirely new parks. They can generate a great deal of interest by building one new top attraction, and hyping it up, far cheaper then designing an entirely new Park.

Ian
03-28-2010, 08:27 AM
They haven't opened a "regular" resort since 2002, and that was Pop Century, which had already been in the works for years.Right and bear in mind that Pop Century still sits half built. They've never even bothered to complete the second half of it. What does that tell you?

I have to agree with other posters that its just far more likely that Disney will focus on improvements of current parks over entirely new parks. They can generate a great deal of interest by building one new top attraction, and hyping it up, far cheaper then designing an entirely new Park.Right, I totally agree. The ROI on building an entire new theme park isn't there anymore.

When they added all those new parks and resorts during The Disney Decade, that was an attempt to turn Walt Disney World into something more than a two or three day stop that was part of an overall Central Florida vacation. In other words (although people may not believe it now or remember it), back before the Studios opened most people would spend maybe 3 or 4 days in Disney World and then also travel to other spots like Kennedy Space Center, Busch Gardens Tampa, Gatorland, Cypress Gardens, etc.

Eisner saw that and wanted to give people a reason to stay longer and that thought process is what gave us DHS and AK (not to mention about a dozen new resorts).

But that goal has been met now. They've extended the average stay to about its limit, so there's just no additional revenue stream to be had from adding an entire new park. Well ... at least not one that justify's that level of expense anyway.

No, I agree with you ... adding single signature attractions or expansions of existing parks now suits their needs much more appropriately from a cost/benefit standpoint.

seanyred
03-28-2010, 08:33 AM
Not to mention the Billion Dollar Re-Imagining of California Adventure at the Disneyland Resort. I think of any Disney theme park California Adventure was the one with the biggest need for some investments for changes. Outside of Soarin, and Its a Bugs Life and California Screaming California Adventure really lacked for a Disney Feel.

I just don't see Disney planning to sink any more money at the moment in order to build a 5th Gate. Until their current projects are completed, especially since the new Cars Ride at California Adventure is supposedly the most expensive ride Disney has designed to date.

Agree, about California Adventure. Went there for the first time in 2008 and it was enjoyable but it still felt like the magic was missing (Hollywood Studios feels that way sometimes). Also the new Cars ride at CA is going to be using the same technology (hopefully updated) that was used for TestTrack, so it probably is extremely expensive.

It just makes more financial sense to add to current parks. I think there are enough Hotels/DVC resorts at WDW property. Although it wouldn't surprise me if current Deluxes get partial DVC conversions.I hope the focus does shift back to the parks and stays that way for awhile.

Ian
03-28-2010, 03:30 PM
I hope the focus does shift back to the parks and stays that way for awhile.I've seen the latest concept art and promo shots for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

For Disney's sake, I hope the focus shifts back to the parks, too, or they're in trouble.

Snowgod
03-29-2010, 08:30 AM
The 5th park will come and Marvel will be a big part of it. :cool:

Jll3Sonex
04-09-2010, 10:57 AM
I'd like to see some new things in the Disney area - new rides in Tomorrowland, new exhibits and/or rides in Epcot. (SSE's revamp... eh. Been there twice since, and ridden it three or four times, and I really prefer the original.) AK feels badly overcrowded - I know it's supposed to feel 'initmate', but there's a big difference to me between inimate and cramped.

DHS is pretty good - maybe I haven't spent as much time there, but it doesn't seem as 'worn' as the other parks.

Maybe what I really want is a 'time capsule' park setup - where the old rides stay the same, and several completely new rides come on line every five years or so. I was SO excited with Mission: Space I couldn't wait to get there after it opened. But a revamped Fantasyland? Um...

:confused::rolleyes:

Ah, sure. That'll draw me down posthaste.

:crowd::crowd::shake::crowd::crowd:

Back in the day, the Tomorrowland episodes were always my favorite. EPCOT and Tomorrowland have been my favorite park and park sections. So I'd LOVE to see more future-themed stuff put in... though I guess one of the big problems with trying to keep EPCOT and Tomorrowland ahead of the times is trying to figure out where the future is headed!

Ms. Mode
04-09-2010, 12:37 PM
My DH tells me my dream job is being a Disney CM...so we plan to retire there in the next 10 years so I can get a job. It's good to know that they will need worker bees even in a bad economy. :thumbsup:

wjdoc
04-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Not that this has any bearing on anything but maybe something to add into the theories....

Being an engineer i am seeing that projects are being bid much much cheaper these days than ever before. Suppliers are giving great rates on materials, contractors need work just to stay afloat, painters need things to paint and so on and so forth... If you have the money, (which i am assuming disney does), now is the time to get things built at a great price. I am just assuming but i bet this is probably why that fantasyland refurb seemed to come out of nowhere and start very quickly.