PDA

View Full Version : pass ports?

apequet
02-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Ok...so I'm sure it's in here some where, but I can't find it...:confused:

So, I'm going to ask again. Does U.S. Citizens need pass ports for a 3 night cruise to the Bahama's?

ElenitaB
02-10-2010, 08:28 PM
As of January 2007, all travelers — including U.S. citizens and all foreign nationals — traveling to the United States by air, such as Guests flying to Orlando from Canada, are required to carry a valid passport. Yes, you're travelling on a ship, not a plane. However, should you or a family member need to return to the U.S. for any reason (illness, urgenty family matter, etc.), you need that passport.

Here's a link to DCL's recommendations (http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/planning-library/passport-information/).

Ed
02-10-2010, 10:26 PM
This question comes up a lot, and there's usually a big debate re: YES vs NO.

The bottom line is that while you are not presently REQUIRED to have a passport, you're tempting fate if you don't have one.

As Ellen pointed out, if some sort of emergency pops up and you have no choice but to fly back into the US, you're out of luck without one.

Scar
02-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Ed,

This is slightly off topic, but what if your passport is lost or stolen while out of the country?

ElenitaB
02-11-2010, 10:19 PM
My passport was stolen while I was out of the country (actually, I was living abroad). I went to the local consulate and it was replaced that very same afternoon because all the necessary information was on record.

Jeffybob
02-12-2010, 08:29 AM
We make copies of our passports, leaving them with a couple of family members on the mainland well as taking copies with us.

Our copies are placed in the stateroom safe just in case something were to happen to our travel documents, we're covered. Better safe than sorry!

-Jeffybob (Boardwalk DVC Member since '98) :mickey:

2009 - BWV (2), DCL - Eastern Caribbean
2008 - BWV (2)
2007 - BWV
2006 - DLR (2), SSR, BWV, DCL - Western Caribbean
2005 - HH, BWV (2)
2003 - BWV
2002 - BWV, Disneyland Paris
2001 - BWV, DLC - Bahamas
2000 - BWV
1999 - BWV, HH, VB
1998 - BWV, Swan

Ed
02-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Ed,

This is slightly off topic, but what if your passport is lost or stolen while out of the country?

Ellen has the right idea (below).

My passport was stolen while I was out of the country (actually, I was living abroad). I went to the local consulate and it was replaced that very same afternoon because all the necessary information was on record.

And this is exactly what we do (below):

We make copies of our passports, leaving them with a couple of family members on the mainland well as taking copies with us.

Our copies are placed in the stateroom safe just in case something were to happen to our travel documents, we're covered. Better safe than sorry!

Having copies makes it a whole lot easier for the authorities to verify your identity and expedite getting a duplicate passport issued to you.

thrillme
02-12-2010, 10:06 AM
I actually LOVE this question because there's been so much of it on cruising boards. I just got my passport last year...and my girlfriend and I went around about this and I won.

Here's the scoop. Walking/driving across the border into Canada, Mexico you need at a minimum...a "passport card"...This will not allow for plane travel...only land and sea transport. It's part of the Western Travel Initiative...(it also includes Burmuda and the Caribbean...)

It's about the size of a credit card and a few states are starting to include this option on a person's drivers license. (Enhanced Drivers License). The Passport Card is only about $45 for the first time and $20 every 10 years to renew for adults...(children under 16 are $35 will need to be renewed after 5 years). It's very convenient.

Closed Loop Cruises (cruises that start and stop at the same port in the US). US citizens do NOT need a passport for this. They CAN get by, at a minimum, with a state issued birth certificate (not the hospital one). A passport or passport card however will be a bonus.

Now for the catch:
Should you become disabled while visiting another country...you cannot fly home without the FULL passport. If you miss your transport (because you arrived late or any other issue to include weather related problems)...you cannot fly home with just your birth certificate or the passport card. With a full blown passport...you're free to travel anywhere in the world (however some countries may require a visa in addition to a passport).

I personally got the full fledge passport so I wouldn't have to worry about anything...but...if this is likely to be only a one time thing...there may be other considerations.

State Issued birth certificates may run about $20-$60 for your certified copy. You'll still need one to get a passport card. At a minimum the passport card is nice because should you need a passport it would be a lot quicker to "upgrade" a card to a passport than to start a NEW passport.

Now there has been some back and forth discussion on many cruise boards that "occasionally" cruise passengers have been known to be "hassled" by presenting ONLY a birth certificate. Since this is "LEGAL" for "closed loop cruises"...the passenger ALWAYS wins but...it can be annoying if you should get a new port official that may not be up to speed (I personally don't like a fight when I start a vacation).

I personally think that a lot of this birth certificate thing will go away "eventually" and everyone will be required to get at minimum a passport card.

In summary...You can get away with a STATE ISSUED "certified" birth certificate for your "closed loop cruise"...but...I would recommend considering at a "minimum" a passport card (it's a great form of secondary identification...but that's another story). If you even remotely "think" you might like to fly to another country in the next 10 years...get the FULL passport. When you break it down...your first passport really only costs $10 a YEAR for 10 years...then $7.50 a year after that. That's not much for world wide freedom.

LVT
02-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Thank you. A lot of us Americans don't seem to get the idea that the rest of the world requires a lot more ID.

apequet
02-15-2010, 06:09 PM
thank you all for the info. This will probably be our one and only trip out of the country. I'll look into a pass card just in case.:thumbsup: