PDA

View Full Version : Main Street Electrical Parade to Return to WDW!

Kim Possible
02-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Message updated by Figment! on 02-24-2010 at 12:40 PM:

For information pertaining to the whole Summer Nightastic! event, please see Summer Nightastic! News & Info (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=167580)

--------------------------------------------------
Message originally posted by Kim Possible on 02-10-2010 at 08:00 PM:

Main Street Electrical Parade Returns to Walt Disney World Resort this Summer

by Thomas Smith | Social Media Director, Disney Parks
Disney Parks Blog
February 10th, 2010

Big news today…we’re thrilled to announce that one of the most beloved attractions in Disney history, the Main Street Electrical Parade, is returning to Magic Kingdom Park this summer – and it’ll be better than ever. The classic parade will feature new LED lights and new audio technology when it begins its limited engagement at Walt Disney World in early June 2010.Tinker Bell will lead the parade waving from the basket of a magical balloon aboard a new float. The parade’s return is part of Summer Nightastic! — an amazing lineup of new and enhanced entertainment planned this summer at Walt Disney World theme parks.
it's official! yay!!! can't wait to go see it

faline
02-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Wow! I love that parade! It makes me wish I had booked a trip later in the year!

DizneyFreak2002
02-10-2010, 07:19 PM
MSEP is 70's-80's.. Disney has gone retro... I think this is only for the summer??? Maybe a brand new 21st Century SpectroMagic or some sort of new parade will debut soon.. I'll miss Spectro... I love that parade.. But glad to hear MSEP is comign back, even if for a short run...

EDIT: MSEP will habe new floats for its return to the Magic Kingdom!!!

KylesMom
02-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Here's me jumping up in the air :mjump: - this is so exciting! While I'll miss Spectro, DS was too little to remember ELP as it was removed after his first or second trip - but DH and I play the song from time to time & tell him how much he loved it. Can't WAIT to see it again this next trip! :mickey:

dinahvixen
02-10-2010, 07:28 PM
You do not even know how serious I am when I say I have to figure out a way to get down there for that! This is my childhood parade! My absolute favorite! It takes us two years to save for a Disney trip, and we just went this Sept - but where there's a will, there's a way! I have to take my girls to see my parade!

beksy
02-10-2010, 07:44 PM
have any official end dates been released yet? I have to see this and need to know when to go!

Kim Possible
02-10-2010, 07:52 PM
not sure about an end date but it is set to start in june, but my mom was THRILLED when i told her, as this is her favorite parade. she always cries during it, and i can't remember the last time i saw it.

John
02-10-2010, 07:58 PM
See the link above in this forum and follow the intercot twitter account. We announced this before it was up on the disney site :)

Melanears is covering the press event for us.

CaptSmee
02-10-2010, 08:08 PM
OMG!!! I want to go to "Summer Nights Fantastic!" Maybe we'll get Flotsam & Jetsam swimming around at Fantasmic as well?!?! :D

ElenitaB
02-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Mel made me super happy with all INTERCOT tweets this afternoon! Looking forward to more good news tomorrow.

I can't wait to see ELP again, and the new fireworks sound intriguing.

Melanie
02-10-2010, 08:44 PM
No dates were announced tonight at the press conference - just 'summer'. I can tell you that the room gasped with excitement and broke into applause. :clappy:

Here is the official press release:

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (Feb. 10, 2010) – The “Main Street Electrical Parade” lights up the streets of Magic Kingdom and headlines a season of after-dark excitement coming to Walt Disney World Resort.
“After the sun goes down, our Walt Disney World parks will light up the night with ‘Summer Nightastic!’, ” announced Meg Crofton, president of Walt Disney World Resort, at a media event Wednesday.

Disney magic will shine and shimmer in a whole new light. Here’s a look around:

* With floats and characters appearing for the first time at Walt Disney World Resort, Disney’s “Main Street Electrical Parade” returns with its joyous sights and sounds. Direct from Disneyland and marking its first engagement in Florida since 2001, the cherished parade will be led by Tinker Bell waving from the basket of a magical balloon aboard a new float. Pinocchio and Snow White join the parade this summer, aboard bright new floats. Disney’s “Main Street Electrical Parade” is set for its summer-long nighttime premiere in early June at Magic Kingdom.

* The Twilight Zone™ Tower of Terror welcomes “drop-ins” this summer with even more pulse-racing surprises. New lighting effects and the addition of a new drop sequence, created especially for “Summer Nightastic!”, will bring unexpected frights to guests who step into that infamous service elevator. If they dare.

* What could be more summery than fireworks on a star-studded night? Magic Kingdom will treat guests to a special summer fireworks spectacular. The night sky will explode in vivid colors and brilliant visual effects as whimsical music fills the air.

* Other fun! The return of the Sounds Like Summer concert series to Epcot and extended evening hours at Disney’s Animal Kingdom several times a week add up to summer fun as only Disney can do – at all four Walt Disney World theme parks.

Kim Possible
02-10-2010, 10:03 PM
No dates were announced tonight at the press conference - just 'summer'. I can tell you that the room gasped with excitement and broke into applause. :clappy:

Here is the official press release:

so are they bringing the summer nighttastic thing from DL to WDW?

jillluvsdisney
02-10-2010, 10:12 PM
I called my sister about 2 seconds after I heard about this. We are going in August. OMG!!!
That parade is one of my oldest memories of Disney World. The first time I saw it was June 1978. I was 6 years old. I even have the parade music on my iPOD.:cloud9:

Rekenna
02-10-2010, 10:25 PM
We've never gotten the opportunity to see MSEP, so this id great. However, we love SpectroMagic and will make extra sure to get great seating for it on our upcoming trip!

kakn7294
02-10-2010, 11:23 PM
My DH and I must be the only 2 people in the world who aren't happy about this. We love SpectroMagic and don't like the MSEP.

elmjimmlm
02-10-2010, 11:44 PM
I remember a little about this parade from when I was younger and I can't wait to see it again...

DizneyFreak2002
02-10-2010, 11:45 PM
My DH and I must be the only 2 people in the world who aren't happy about this. We love SpectroMagic and don't like the MSEP.

I'm not thrilled by it.. But, it is only a summer thing... My hopes is SpectroMagic is being taken offline for the summer to be improved and taken into the 21st century...

All good things eventually come to an end... Spectro ran for a long time... MSEP is being updated to make it modern... New floats being added... I think its a good move which I hope leads to an even bigger improvement in show...

I'll miss Spectro as its my favorite parade of all time, but times are a-changin...

Goofy4TheWorld
02-11-2010, 08:07 AM

No your not, I am very upset. I have only ever know know Spectro, so while I am not completely closed-minded about its replacement since I have never seen it, I have been watching SpectroMagic on the web with my two year old in preparation for our June trip for months now, and he already knows where several of his characters are. All that work wasted.

I am going June 5-11 so maybe I will get to see both Spectro/Wishes and their replacements and judge for myself.

Melanie
02-11-2010, 08:08 AM
so are they bringing the summer nighttastic thing from DL to WDW?

The name yes, but the offerings are different.

Stu29573
02-11-2010, 09:22 AM
This is great news! As one who was raised on MSEP, Spectro always seemed like kind of a knock-off. I grew to enjoy it, but it never had the same charm. Now we have MSEP back! Hopefully it will be running in November, when we are planning our trip, but I'm not holding my breath.

By the way, Baroque Hoedown- best parade music EVER!:thumbsup:

Goofy Pluto
02-11-2010, 09:51 AM
I have mixed feelings about this. I LOVE Spectromagic and was looking forward to seeing it again this summer. One of my best experiences was seeing that parade for the first time. Truly a magical, moving experience for me. One of my fondest memories of WDW.

However, it's been so long since I've seen MSEP that I can't even remember it. So I am looking forward to seeing it this summer (August!), I'll miss Spectromagic, too.

SurferStitch
02-11-2010, 01:05 PM
I wish they would keep MSEP for more than just the summer. And, too bad it won't be there for the month of May...we just decided to do a quick 5 day trip the first week of May! Oh, well.

DH and I definitely don't want to do WDW in the summer...too hot, humid and way too crowded. June, July and August are definitely out of the question.

It would be great if it were still around in October. I read that the summer fireworks are the same as what was done at the P&PP, so we've seen them already. Definitely the best fireworks we've see at WDW yet!

beksy
02-12-2010, 09:35 AM
DH and I definitely don't want to do WDW in the summer...too hot, humid and way too crowded. June, July and August are definitely out of the question.

It would be great if it were still around in October. I read that the summer fireworks are the same as what was done at the P&PP, so we've seen them already. Definitely the best fireworks we've see at WDW yet!

I agree. After the last summer trip I swore I wouldn't go during that time again, but this could change things! I'm just waiting to see how late I can go and still catch everything.

GothMickey
02-12-2010, 11:55 AM
I think I am ok with this. MSEP is a classic parade, one I enjoyed as a child. SpectoMagic has been running for how long now, 20 years? Time for an update.

My view: I think TDA wanted to get rid of MSEP at DCA due to WoC opening soon. Crowd control would be a nightmare. Also, I understand the floats for SpectroMagic have a termite issue. Any truth to that? So, how do they resolve these two issues? Send SpectroMagic away for the summer to repaid the floats and upgrade the parade. Shut down MSEP at DCA and ship it to Magic Kingdom to replace Spectro during its refurbishment. Magic Kingdom keeps a nighttime parade and ads a bit of nostalga, while TDA's nightmare issue of crowd control is taken care of.

As Hannah Montana said: It's the best of both worlds.

MegaDisney
02-12-2010, 03:16 PM
MSEP will have new floats for its return to the Magic Kingdom!!!

The floats were already added for the Disneyland Nightastic promo last summer. There are no new additions for WDW.

I also wonder if they are changing the name back to "Main Street Electrical Parade" from its current name "Disney's Electrical Parade: A California Classic"

We better get the parade back after you guys on the East Coast are done with it! You still have Walts Office!

Melanie
02-12-2010, 04:07 PM
I also wonder if they are changing the name back to "Main Street Electrical Parade" from its current name "Disney's Electrical Parade: A California Classic"

It was announced by Meg Crofton as the "Main Street Electrical Parade", and I hope that is indeed what's it called here.

TheVBs
02-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Please, please, please let this last longer than just this summer!!! We love this parade! :mickey: But, we're not likely to be back sooner than Oct. of this year, or maybe not even until 2011.

MinnieMommie
02-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Love the Electrical Parade and Love the music. Does anyone know if they will use the same music? Sorry this is a limited engagement but hope I will be able to see it before the run ends. Look forward to posts about the time frame. :joy:

Tink#64
02-13-2010, 01:04 AM
I am going June 5-11 so maybe I will get to see both Spectro/Wishes and their replacements and judge for myself.

We'll be there the same week! I'm wondering which parade it will be then? WDW's site is showing Spectro, but that doesn't mean that it won't change & they were just figuring for park hours, events, etc. Very curious indeed. I'm excited tho, we've never seen MSEP, and although we love Spectro, I would love the ooprtunity to see this! :mickey:

GrmGrninGost
02-14-2010, 03:39 PM
We had almost decided we weren't going to WDW this year. This changes everything! We will have to make it down for a long weekend at least! :mickey:

badkitty
02-15-2010, 01:40 PM
By the way, Baroque Hoedown- best parade music EVER!:thumbsup:

:ditto:

Love, love love the score! I even walk on my treadmill to it. It sets a great pace and I imagine all the floats as I am listening to it.

badkitty
02-15-2010, 01:47 PM
The floats were already added for the Disneyland Nightastic promo last summer. There are no new additions for WDW.

We better get the parade back after you guys on the East Coast are done with it! You still have Walts Office!

So what will be in CA while the MSEP is in FL? Didn't the music change when they updated the floats and title? (I haven't seen the new version yet...)

Something isn't clear to me. The press release stated "Pinocchio and Snow White join the parade this summer" but from my memory, Pinocchio was already on a float in the parade and Snow White walked with the dwarfs behide a mine car. I just listened to the original music again and Pinocchio and Snow White music are there.

MegaDisney
02-15-2010, 02:44 PM
So what will be in CA while the MSEP is in FL? Didn't the music change when they updated the floats and title? (I haven't seen the new version yet...)

Something isn't clear to me. The press release stated "Pinocchio and Snow White join the parade this summer" but from my memory, Pinocchio was already on a float in the parade and Snow White walked with the dwarfs behide a mine car. I just listened to the original music again and Pinocchio and Snow White music are there.

The music is the same just remastered.

The Snow White and Pinocchio floats were taken away at some point and returned after the "re-do" of the floats and lighting.

Tinkerbell now leads the parade, the Blue Fairy is gone. She also sends "pixie dust" down the parade floats. This was all added for Summer Nightastic at DLR last summer.

DCA will have no night time parade. World of Color will take its place.

Rumor is that when MSEP returns to the west coast it will return to Disneyland.

Stu29573
02-15-2010, 03:45 PM
:ditto:

Love, love love the score! I even walk on my treadmill to it. It sets a great pace and I imagine all the floats as I am listening to it.

"They Might Be Giants" does a pretty good version too....

badkitty
02-15-2010, 07:57 PM
The music is the same just remastered.

The Snow White and Pinocchio floats were taken away at some point and returned after the "re-do" of the floats and lighting.

Tinkerbell now leads the parade, the Blue Fairy is gone. She also sends "pixie dust" down the parade floats. This was all added for Summer Nightastic at DLR last summer.

DCA will have no night time parade. World of Color will take its place.

Rumor is that when MSEP returns to the west coast it will return to Disneyland.

Thanks so much MegaDisney!

JPL
02-15-2010, 10:14 PM
I love Spectro but the MSEP evokes memories of my childhood and watching it with my Grandmother so I am really looking forward to see it return to the Magic Kingdom. I'm sure it will bring tears to my eyes the first time I see it :blush: I can't wait to hear Boroque Hoedown and see Elliot travelling down Main St :cloud9:

Goofy4TheWorld
02-15-2010, 10:25 PM
OMG, I just watched MSEP on YouTube, and I think I am going to puke. Black and white TV may bring back some fond memories, but it has a place in the past, and no amount of nostalgia can make the old better than the new.

The music for MSEP has to be the most bizarre and disgusting thing I have ever heard. I really am nauseous listening to it in the background as I type. :cry:

I am not looking to pick any fights, but I just can't hep but put in my two cents...:sick: Am I missing something more than just nostalgia?

Stu29573
02-16-2010, 07:29 AM
OMG, I just watched MSEP on YouTube, and I think I am going to puke. Black and white TV may bring back some fond memories, but it has a place in the past, and no amount of nostalgia can make the old better than the new.

The music for MSEP has to be the most bizarre and disgusting thing I have ever heard. I really am nauseous listening to it in the background as I type. :cry:

I am not looking to pick any fights, but I just can't hep but put in my two cents...:sick: Am I missing something more than just nostalgia?

The only thing you are missing is the whole point.

The idea is that you are blending the Victorian Main Street with the future. Kind of like those wacky inventions you see from the turn of the last century and those daring young men in their flying machines. The music reflects that blend.

You may not appreciate that idea or frame of reference, but please don't bash things held in such high regard by others. It only causes problems.

Thanks!

murphy1
02-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Grew up with this! Awesome!! I haven't been that crazy about Spectro, the white-masked guys on the floats are a little freaky.

MegaDisney
02-16-2010, 10:00 AM
:(

I have no words.

Let us old people enjoy our Nostalgia.

I have been seeing the MSEP since I was around 5 years old. I saw it with my great grandparents. I saw it with my family, friends through the years and new friends from Intercot.

MSEP holds a special place in TONS of peoples hearts.

Maybe the young people who grew up never knowing a world without remote control TV's, Microwaves, Computers, Cell Phones and Digital Music can skip the Parade and go see the Idol experience. Now thats "ENTERTAINMENT"! :D

badkitty
02-17-2010, 12:18 AM
Grew up with this! Awesome!! I haven't been that crazy about Spectro, the white-masked guys on the floats are a little freaky.

Oh, my thoughts exactly! I have only recently warmed up to Spectro but it still doesn't compare to MSEP!

beksy
02-17-2010, 08:57 AM
:ditto: That sums up my feelings. I can't wait to see MSEP again. The last time I saw it I was still going with my parents on every ride and this time will be my first solo trip! Great way to remember it by. Now I need dates!

Granny Jill A
02-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Wow! I love this parade. So glad it's coming back.

Now if they could just resurrect the Nations parade at EPCOT, I would be a happy camper.
That music with those drums just gave me chills. Fortunately, I have the CD, but it doesn't replace the visual impact of the costumes and dancers.

DizneyFreak2002
02-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Wow! I love this parade. So glad it's coming back.

Now if they could just resurrect the Nations parade at EPCOT, I would be a happy camper.
That music with those drums just gave me chills. Fortunately, I have the CD, but it doesn't replace the visual impact of the costumes and dancers.

I agree with you.. The music to the Tapestry of Nations parade is some of my all time favorite.. And I listen to it almost nightly... But, it doesn't compare to seeing the parade live, hearing the music in World Showcase, and the amazing costumes and floats that were showcased... Shame they ended it...

olivegirl
02-18-2010, 02:07 PM
My daughter never had the chance to see this, so we can't wait to go this year, thanks for the update everyone.:thumbsup:

IloveDisney71
02-18-2010, 09:07 PM
My brother called me the other day and told me about this. We are both so excited to hear that it's coming this summer. This is the parade we remember from our childhood! We are trying to figure out if we can make a quick trip to see it. :mickey:

joelkfla
02-24-2010, 02:50 AM

I was watching a home movie of someone's trip to the Grand Canyon on YouTube.

Big deal! It didn't look that "grand" to me.
:thedolls:

wdw dude
03-05-2010, 02:35 PM

That's my all-time favorite. I watch it on youtube a lot, but it's not the same as being there. :(

:mickey:

EPCOT84
03-06-2010, 11:13 PM
:joy:Yeah for WDW! The name "Main Street Electrical Parade" is back ! It was "Disney's Electrical Parade" when at California Adventure :(
MSEP is back. Time to par-ty !:dance:

wdwfan10
03-11-2010, 11:32 AM
OMG! I'm so happy the MSEP will be back! We are going in August and I can't wait to see it again! :joy:

spoiled
03-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Cool Can't Wait Till I Go This Summer:number1:
Disney Rocks!
So Happy This Is Back!:blush: