PDA

View Full Version : Duggars on the cover of People Magazine

Mousefever
02-10-2010, 05:46 PM
I noticed that there is an article about the Duggars this week in People Magazine. Their 19th baby was born prematurely in December. The cover asks how many babies are enough. The implication is that people are wondering whether the Duggars will stop having children, now that they've had such a scare with their premature daughter. I haven't read the article, so that's just conjecture.

I, personally, love watching their show on TLC. Their religious views are much more conservative than mine, so I don't agree with them all the time. It really seems, though, that they are a very loving family. They treat each other with respect and kindness. The show has also offered more glimpses of the little kids being loud and obnoxious, so it's a little more realistic than it used to be.

Amy

SBETigg
02-10-2010, 06:54 PM
I really have no concern if they do or do not have more children. They seem to be in a position to do what they want without burdening others. I don't have a problem with people having as many children as they want and can love and handle. I have no idea about the health situations involved.

But I'm not a Duggar fan or a viewer. I know people who enjoy the show and that's fine. But for me, I just don't think having a bunch of kids is a reason to be on TV and have a show. It doesn't interest me. But hey, people have shows for worse reasons, right? I think it's weird, the kinds of things that warrant reality shows, but as long as people are watching, that's how it is.

caryrae
02-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Never seen the show but was wondering does having that many babies (seems like one a year, lol,) have any affect on a womans body? Or is there really no difference with having one baby or 19?

citizensnoopy
02-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Never seen the show but was wondering does having that many babies (seems like one a year, lol,) have any affect on a womans body? Or is there really no difference with having one baby or 19?

It definitely takes a toll on a woman's body. Childbirth is not a 100% safe situation --- in fact it can be quite scary! Each time a woman becomes pregnant, she's at risk for many things: preeclampsia/eclampsia, deep venous thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, amniotic fluid embolism, gestational diabetes (which increases the risk of developing type II diabetes in the future), postpartum hemorrhage ... you get the picture. If a woman's had more than two C-sections, there's a risk of uterine rupture as she approaches term.

Mousefever
02-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Yes, Michelle Duggar had her baby early because she developed preeclampsia and her blood pressure kept spiking. They had to do an emergency c-section or risk her life and the baby's.

Amy

Granny Jill A
02-11-2010, 02:37 PM
I can't imagine wanting to be pregnant all the time. I had one child and while the result was most satisfying, the experience was a heck of a lot of work. I was glad when it was over.

The Duggars seem to have everything under control in their lives, but I do think it's odd that they would subject their children to being on display all the time.

d_m_n_n
02-14-2010, 06:05 PM
I don't watch this show just because I really don't see anything fascinating about it! I grew up/live in a very conservative/traditional catholic community. I can name at lest 5 families off the top of my head that had at least 14 children. These are the families that have to rent out school gymnasiums for Christmas get-togethers. lol...I didn't see TLC following any of these families around!! :D

TigChatt
02-14-2010, 09:48 PM
While I don't have a premie, my sis in law does. What the Duggars fail to realize about "adding" more babies is this, they have to be VERY cafeful now with Josie. They have 18 other kids that can get sick with a normal cold, but because she is a premie it could be very bad for her. RSV is a very serious thing. She will also be behind on normal stuff and need extra attention. My nephew is 3yrs old and was born that early too. He has to have therapy, stay away from sick kids etc....Plus not to mention the risks to Michelle and any other kids she has due to it being a lot worse that being 3 months early. I think that the Duggars have gotten lucky so far. I don't have a problem with them having that many kids. I just hope they realize it will be hard raising Josie.

NotaGeek
02-15-2010, 12:44 AM
I don't have a problem with them having that many kids. I just hope they realize it will be hard raising Josie.
They have 17 babysitters for Josie. I have seen a couple of episodes and it usually ends with me freaking out -- the particular episode I am remembering is when the mother says that one of the older kids takes one of the younger kids and helps raise them. So much for kids being kids ... and before anyone flames me, this isn't the turn of the century ... 18 children by 1 woman is ridiculous in the present world and aside from archaic religious beliefs I feel really bad for these kids ... I am not sure how raising your kids in this type of sheltered environment and then exposing them on TV for profit is excusable from a "Christian" or ethical stand point.

MJessica
02-15-2010, 05:54 AM
I don't watch them on a regularly basis either but 19 kids seems a bit too many.

bouncer
02-15-2010, 09:37 AM
I agree that 19 is too many. I would think that after multiple C-Sections that at some point a doctor must have advised against getting pregnant again. One of their recap shows had her describe each child's birth. I can't remember the exact number but I think she said she had 3 previous C-Sections and this would make 4. While I don't abide by their religious beliefs regarding children I don't find them archaic. God said to go forth and multiply. He did not say stop at 2.5 average children per family. Their belief is to trust in God above all else. I don't find that archaic. In fact, it makes me examine my faith and wonder if I am truly trusting God the way I should be.

As for the other kids, I agree to let them grow up and be kids, but a little responsibility never hurt anyone. I had 2 older sisters and an older brother. I know that they took care of me more than a time or two and no one would consider criticizing my parents for that.

So even though I have only one child and plan to keep it that way for my own reasons- I don't disagree with the way the Duggars are handling their own situation. As previously stated at least they aren't having that many children and look to the government (our tax $$) to pay for them. I think they should call it quits with babies here though.

DisneyPrincess21
02-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Regardless of what anyone feels about the Duggars personally, it is their right to have as many kids as they want, and it is their right to be whatever religion they want. We talk a lot about being tollerant, being accepting of everyone, the woman's right to choose and freedom to be whatever religion you want, but when a family chooses to be Christian's and raise there children as such, all of the sudden that "freedom to choose your own religion" goes right out the window. And women have "the right to choose" to keep every child they conceive and if everyone wants to look the other way when a woman chooses not to value life, then they also need to look the other way and allow the woman a right to value everyone of her children's lives.

Just because having 18 kids now days isn't "the norm" doesn't mean it is unethical. The only way it would be unethical is if they weren't supporting and loving these children, and as you can see the children are very well taken care of.

And people who don't like the Duggars, you have "the right to choose" to turn the channel.

The duggars aren't doing anything illegal or unethical with the raising of their children, and people shouldn't be so quick to try and remove their freedoms as Americans, because if someone was telling you how you could live, think, and raise your children you wouldn't be so open to other people's right to critique your life

Now I think the Original Topic was about them being on the cover of People, i thought the rules were to stay on topic and not "flame" others with discussions on religion etc. But since the subject of the Duggars "archaic religion" was brought up then i felt the need to defend their religious rights.

murphy1
02-15-2010, 05:24 PM
I think it's fine to have that many kids IF you are raising them and not having your daughters do it. I have three daughters and I want them to fulfill their destiny and enjoy their own lives, not be a part of my plan. That's just me though.The Duggars are very sweet people with admirable qualities, but it seems they have succumbed to some of the same things that maybe Jon and Kate did.

MNNHFLTX
02-15-2010, 06:37 PM
The duggars aren't doing anything illegal or unethical with the raising of their children, and people shouldn't be so quick to try and remove their freedoms as Americans, because if someone was telling you how you could live, think, and raise your children you wouldn't be so open to other people's right to critique your lifeI don't think anyone is suggesting that the Duggars are doing anything illegal or that the be removed from their civil rights. Most of us probably have a hard time imagining having that many kids and so have opinions about it. As for me, I agree that it's their legal right to have as many kids as they can support. But from an ecological standpoint and with the burgeoning world population, I do not necessarily think that it is the responsible thing to do to have so many children in this day and age. That is just my personal opinion about it--no offense intended to anyone who feels differently.

NotaGeek
02-15-2010, 07:08 PM
So what the Duggars are doing is ok, but somehow the thread about Jon and Kate ended basically berating them for doing just about the same thing (minus the end of the marriage of course)? I don't see how the Duggars are different -- they are also using their family to have a show, get money, take vacations ... except of course in the Duggars case the dad has all the power and dictates how the entire family runs.

For the record, I never said that the Duggars didn't have the right to choose to follow whatever religion they choose, I fully believe they are crazy, regardless of how they justify their family dynamics by using their religion.

BrerGnat
02-15-2010, 11:43 PM
For the record, I never said that the Duggars didn't have the right to choose to follow whatever religion they choose, I fully believe they are crazy, regardless of how they justify their family dynamics by using their religion.

What he said! :thumbsup:

Mousefever
02-16-2010, 02:00 AM
So what the Duggars are doing is ok, but somehow the thread about Jon and Kate ended basically berating them for doing just about the same thing (minus the end of the marriage of course)? I don't see how the Duggars are different -- they are also using their family to have a show, get money, take vacations ... except of course in the Duggars case the dad has all the power and dictates how the entire family runs.

Here are the good things about the Duggars, in my opinion. The Duggars are consistent with their stated values. There are children that are in far more dire circumstances than those helping raise or being raised by siblings. Michele Duggar nurses every child for several months to a year, so it's not like they are whisked away to be raised by someone else at birth. Even though it's far less common in the past 80 years for older children to provide a lot of the care for their younger siblings, it's not exactly archaic. My Great Aunt Be (92) was raised by her older sister to a large extent. The Duggar children are fairly well-rounded, despite being sheltered. And yes, I agree that they are sheltered.

As far as the ecological impact of them having 19 children, I agree that it is large. I would love to see them actively pursue the application of Biblical principles regarding stewardship of the Earth. As I am terrible at recycling, etc, unless it is very easy, I need to examine the log in my own eye before casting dispersions at others. I applaud any of you that really make an effort at living green.

There are many, many things they believe that I do not, but I respect them because they do not preach at me, the viewer. They just present their own beliefs for the viewer to judge for themselves. I don't find their views crazy, just consistent with how they interpret the Bible. Even though my interpretation is much less literal.

My problem with Jon and Kate was not with the original concept, and I enjoyed the show at the beginning. I viewed Kate as sarcastic, funny, and realistic. I appreciated that they appeared to really love each other, despite the jabs. I think the turning point of when I started not liking the show as much was when Kate freaked out about Aunt Jodi and the gum incident. Then I read a blog by Jodi's sister about Kate's controlling behavior. Although I recognized that her blog is just her opinion, the things she said about Kate seemed plausible. However, I still didn't think there was anything wrong with the show.

Enter the failure of their marriage and the massive reaction of the paparazzi. (I think the paparazzi is disgusting, by the way, and I NEVER read gossip magazines or watch gossip shows.) I thought that Jon and Kate should withdraw their kids from the public spotlight. The kids were all in school by then, and defenseless against what other children might say about them or their parents. Divorce is difficult enough without everyone knowing the ugliness of your parents' messy split. I am glad the decision was made to pull the show, despite feeling empathy for their situation.

Michael, I think we probably have a lot more beliefs in common than not. It seems that whenever I post something, however, we don't see eye to eye. That's unfortunate, and I'm sorry if I've rubbed you the wrong way.

Amy

diz_girl
02-16-2010, 10:53 AM
While I admire the Duggars for sticking to their beliefs, their having all of these children stems from the guilt over a miscarriage that Michelle had while she was on the pill. That miscarriage might have been coincidental to the pill or not, but since one in six pregnancies ends in miscarrige, she's pretty well ahead of the curve now with so many children and few, if any more, miscarriages.

Now that she's a bit over 40, the complications to both her and any future children that she has will increase significantly. She will most likely start to see more complications with any future pregnancies and probably more miscarriages due to the fact that her eggs will start to go bad at a faster rate.

Each of their children is beautiful and I wish them the best, but it might be time to stop now.

thrillme
02-16-2010, 02:18 PM
I guess I have to side with SBETigg and several others. I really don't watch this show...I think for ME "I" could never handle 19 kids but it's really their right and their business.

At one time I thought the 19 kids was excessive and by todays standards...yes it really is. HOWEVER I know a lot of people in my grandmothers generation that had at least that many (my grandmother was one of 10). So I guess I've lightened up a bit. I also thought their religious views were a bit "strict" but then I met someone who share similar views...and well...I kind of understand a little bit more of why they go the path they do with the strictness of it all. (I don't have to "agree" I just can see their side)

Now...my clincher is NO FEDERAL TAXPAYER SUPPORT. They are supporting these kids on their own. They got a recent gig with a show that helps pay for some of the "vacations" or such...but it's not MY $$ supporting them. If they were taking government funds for these kids (like Nadia Sulman did)...THEN I would not be pleased :mad:. But they are managing their budget successfully, making sure the kids are fed and they are proud to be "debt free". Good for them.

I really don't think it's horrible for kids to be helping out with the little ones and doing chores. Back in the day that this was the norm...everybody came out quite fine. As much as I can tell from the show...the kids seem to be happy and well balanced. Of course...that's what we're supposed to see.

Now on the PHYSICAL part of it. I personally think at 40 her body has had enough. She has a lot of responsibility already and to "lose" her because of preclampsia or other pregnancy related disease would be so devastating to her family. I kinda feel they were "lucky" this time but what kind of problems could be in store for the newest baby by her being born too early?

I dunna know...I guess as long as they "take care of their own"...no one really has room to beef.

murphy1
02-16-2010, 02:41 PM
I'm pretty sure they have to get some kind of financial help now for the baby. I remember seeing them on Larry King last year and they were on a high deductible insurance plan that doesn't have maternity coverage. This baby is going to require a ton of care not just now, but probably a large part of her early life if not beyond that.

NotaGeek
02-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Michael, I think we probably have a lot more beliefs in common than not. It seems that whenever I post something, however, we don't see eye to eye. That's unfortunate, and I'm sorry if I've rubbed you the wrong way.

Amy
No sweat ... this is a message board, not real life. Being a moderator, I rarely get rubbed the wrong way on any single post. We are all allowed our opinions, we don't know each other so there's no possible way for you or me to know how our own life experience influences our thoughts. Even more so, this is a TV show, so there's no reason for anyone to be offended.

JanetMegan
02-17-2010, 11:23 AM
I personally really enjoy the show, the kids are well cared for, healthy seem well rounded even though some of them do have a good bit of responsibility. I do worry about Michelle's heath though, especially after this last one, but at the same time I respect their belief's. Maybe they could try some other methods of umm control? Maybe not to prevent pregnancy but to maybe help avoid it?

Aurora
02-18-2010, 01:50 PM
I am raising three children and it is a daily and hourly battle to try to teach your children right from wrong and what is moral and not in this day and age. They are constantly bombarded, and I do mean bombarded, with images, sounds and conversations that I would never choose for them. I'm not talking about television shows or movies, which I have some control over, but billboards, magazines on display in stores, Internet ads, foul-mouthed and sexually active kids in grade school, acceptance of rampant cheating in order to get ahead, etc. Kids today have a much rougher road to travel to become decent, ethical adults than ever.

My point is that if the Duggars' 19 children grow up to be decent, ethical adults because of their close-knit, loving and responsible family, they'll be contributing a lot more to our society than a lot of parents I know with far fewer kids.

DisneyPrincess21
02-18-2010, 03:56 PM
I am raising three children and it is a daily and hourly battle to try to teach your children right from wrong and what is moral and not in this day and age. They are constantly bombarded, and I do mean bombarded, with images, sounds and conversations that I would never choose for them. I'm not talking about television shows or movies, which I have some control over, but billboards, magazines on display in stores, Internet ads, foul-mouthed and sexually active kids in grade school, acceptance of rampant cheating in order to get ahead, etc. Kids today have a much rougher road to travel to become decent, ethical adults than ever.

My point is that if the Duggars' 19 children grow up to be decent, ethical adults because of their close-knit, loving and responsible family, they'll be contributing a lot more to our society than a lot of parents I know with far fewer kids.

:exactly:

alphamommy
02-18-2010, 05:38 PM
I don't watch the show, and don't have anything against anyone who does. I can't make any statements about their beliefs, how their kids are being raised, or the responsibilities of the older ones in taking care of the younger ones.

However, I had preeclampsia, and our DD10 was born 6 weeks early via emergency C-section. While her condition was not as dire as Josie's, I cannot imagine having cameras following us around during the whirlwind of her birth, or the days afterward when she was still in the hospital.

:soapbox: on:
They need to be concentrating on all their kids, especially that tiny one! I wish them the best.
:soapbox: off

magicofdisney
02-19-2010, 12:42 AM
-- they are also using their family to have a show...
They are not using their family to have a show. I'm fairly certain their original plan was to have a large family, show or not.

I realize I'm not in the majority because I love being pregnant and I love having those babies. But my husband had to cut me off at 4. ;) He said, "No way, no how, uh hu. We're done!"

I watched a couple of the early specials that were offered back when they only had 14 children, LOL. But I don't watch it now simply because following a family around doesn't entertain me (Roloffs being the exception).

I see nothing wrong with the older children being given so much responsibility. I think they're just being prepared for life in general. Ultimately, only time will tell how well this does or doesn't work because we'll either see specials on TLC called "Where Are They Now?" or we'll not hear from them again. :)

Granny Jill A
02-24-2010, 04:36 PM
A previous poster mentioned concern about Michelle's health if she continues to have children. At 43 years of age, she would be still raising children well into her "senior" years. I know she takes very good care of herself, but the idea of her chasing after kids in her 60's is too much to contemplate.

I love my grandkids, but I get worn slick by a full day with them.

Good luck to Michelle and all those kids.