PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake Today

civilmousefan
02-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Any other Intercotees feel the earthquake this morning? At 3:59 A.M. CST an earthquake woke me up. For a very short time the house shook and it sounded like things were hitting the house. At the time, I thought a tree in my yard was losing limbs because of snow and wind. I later learned it was an earthquake. The epicenter was about 15 miles from my home, about a 3.8 in magnitude, but did no damage.

jillluvsdisney
02-10-2010, 06:05 PM
I work in Lake County. A few of my co workers felt it. They were all up getting ready for work. The midnight shift also got a few phone calls from people who felt in in the Barrington area. I was worried about the foot of snow that fell and wake up to WGN telling me there's been an earthquake.:confused:

I slept thru it even though I am a very light sleeper.

StitchFan#1
02-10-2010, 07:19 PM
We felt an after shock here too! It was only a split second.

Scar
02-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Forgive me for saying this, but I think it is inappropriate to be even considering this when... well you know...

civilmousefan
02-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Scar:

Unfortunately I don't know ... what are you referring to?

Goofy4TheWorld
02-11-2010, 10:22 AM
I assumed he meant Haiti, but I don't really get where he is coming from???

Scar
02-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Right... Haiti.

And just to be clear, I don't really care that you (meaning anyone) talks about it, talk about it all you want. I was just giving my opinion.

bucky at disney
02-11-2010, 01:57 PM
I know most of us feel terrible about the situation in Haiti.

But I don't feel that would be a reason to not talk about an earthquake that affected some people here on Intercot. Especially since an earthquake in that part of the country is not as common as in other parts.

Scar
02-11-2010, 02:10 PM
But I don't feel that would be a reason to not talk about an earthquake that affected some people here on Intercot.In that case, my apologies. I was unaware that people were affected. I thought I read there was no damage or injuries.

civilmousefan
02-11-2010, 02:54 PM
My original intent was to ask the question of the day here in northern Illinois - 'did you feel it?' I never thought that the experiences we had with the small earthquake in any way compared to the terrible situation in Haiti.

The epicenter of our earthquake was in a rural area and not strong enough to do any damage. The effects of feeling the earth shaking, however small and short in duration was what I was trying to learn from fellow intercotees. As pointed out by a previous post - this is uncommon for this area. According to this mornings paper even scientists were not aware there was a fault at this location.

magicofdisney
02-11-2010, 03:39 PM
My initial question was where you were referring because none of your earlier posts indicate a location. Fortunately, others provided that information.

TheMartellFamily
02-13-2010, 09:02 AM
I slept right though it.

teambricker04
02-15-2010, 03:35 PM
People have been saying that we could feel it here in Chicago (I live in the north parth of the city), but I slept through it and never felt anything.

I think that this is maybe not that big of a deal to some, but considering that we in the central part of the country actually live on a major fault line, it is very important. What causes minimal damage in a place like Southern California could actually be catostophic here in Illinois.