PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Time at Disney World

Rekenna
02-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Hi Guys!

So we have been in the Fall a couple of times and have thoroughly enjoyed the decorations, weather, MNSSHP and the reasonably low crowd levels.

I would love, love, love to go to Disney when the Christmas lights and decorations are up. We are considering going either the 1st or 2nd week of December this year. There is me, DH, DS12, DS5 and DS3. We will drive down from Kentucky and we are slightly considering a split stay between WDW and Universal (but, we are leaning in spending the whole week at Disney). I am looking at a room at POR in Alligator Bayou with the Trundle bed, this would be the first time we would get to stay at a moderate so that's pretty exciting. Thinking about MVMCP, specials/discounts, weather, crowds and overall Christmas decorations.

What I would like some input/advice on:

1. MVMCP-I'm sure it's a lot of fun, please provide some details.

2. Weather-This probably varies, but just a general idea, is it still warm enough to swim?

3. Discounts-I have read that Disney is planning on scaling back on discounts/specials the back half of the year-does anyone know though historically what the discounts were? Free Dining, Room Discounts, Extras?

4. POR-I have read many great reviews of the Resort and it seems to be a favorite of many, I hope it will soon be a favorite of ours-any tips?

5. Decorations-Are all the Parks and Resorts decorated all the time? For Halloween, MK has some Fall decorations, but they really put out all the stops for MNSSHP that you wouldn't see during the day.

6. Dining-Are there any special dining things going on at Christmas? Characters in special costumes, special dishes only served at Christmas, special items in the bakery?

7. Any other special things I'm not thinking of?

Thanks for all your help, I can't wait for your replies!:mickey:

faline
02-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Here's information on Mickey's party (http://intercot.com/infocentral/holidays/christmas/mvmcp.asp). We've attended several times and enjoy this very much. We especially like seeing snow on Main Street, watching the holiday show at the Castle, seeing the holiday parade and the special holiday fireworks!

Weather at this time of year is quite variable. We've spent the whole day at the pool in the month of December. On other occasions, we've worn winter coats to the park and could seriously talk wind chills. Be prepared for both extremes and anything in between - sometimes you can have both extremes within a few days time.

Discounts have varied. We were there in December of 2009 and had free dining. Here's information on historical discounts (http://intercot.com/infocentral/discounts/historicdiscounts.asp).

I only stayed at Port Orleans Riverside once or twice and that was a number of years ago. Be sure you take the boat to Downtown Disney - it's a great ride.

Holiday decorations are very evident in the parks and many of the resorts. Be sure to visit Wilderness Lodge and the Grand Floridian.

I'm not thinking of any special dining for this time of year. Other things you might want to check out are the Candlelight Processional in Epcot; Santas around the World - also in Epcot.

jensantuit
02-10-2010, 04:19 PM
We went to Disney in December for the first time this past December (we usually go in September). We went the second week, the 6th to the 12th.

MVMCP was a lot of fun, the parade and fireworks were great. It was fun to see everyone all dressed up for the holidays. During the party take a couple minutes to stop on Main Street and see the snow falling. Also before the party they have a show at the castle where at the end, they light up Cinderella's castle, it was amazing.

The weather when we were there was variable. The beginning of our week was warm, we were comfy in short sleeve shirts and shorts during the day and sweatshirts at night. One day it was in the 80's. At the end of our week, it was cold in the mid 50's. I would recommend layers and bring a little bit of everything. We did not swim when we were there, but we did pack our suits just in case.

There are some other things that we did while we were there. The Osbourne Festival of Lights at Hollywood Studios was amazing and something not to miss. The gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian was another fun thing to go and see.

All the parks are decorated for Christmas as well as the hotels. And the decorations are themed for each park or hotel.

I hope this helps, if you have other questions please feel free to ask. :mickey:

Rekenna
02-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Thanks guys for the great responses. DH and I are both getting excited about it!:mickey:

MaxPower
02-10-2010, 11:20 PM
The Osbourne Lights at Disney's Hollywood Studios create unbeliveable Christmas Magic- and it's free. Plus they make it snow from the rooftops as the lights dance to Christmas music- a must see.

debandbub
02-12-2010, 07:58 PM
We've gone early December several times, and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It's just beautiful.
Never did MVMCP, so sorry, I can't help you there.

Weather is sooo iffy. We've been during both a cold snap and a warm week. Pools are heated so swimming would not be out of the question.

Discounts- We've always seemed to get a good deal, but we also use Magical Journeys- HIGHLY recommend contacting them. They will make sure you get the best deals.

POR- one of our favorite resorts, no doubt. Beautiful grounds, cool pool, Bob the piano guy at the bar in the evenings, good food court. You can also take a horse and carraige ride around the resort, though we've never done it. And as a PP poster said- the boat ride to and from DD is really nice. (but it can get chilly in the evenings after dark, make sure you bring a jacket or sweatshirt) You'll love it.

Decorations- everything, EVERYTHING, is decorated beautifully and tastefully. Take the monorail to visit all the monorail resorts to check them out. The parks are beautiful, and you can find so may spots to have your Christmas card photo taken, if that's something you do.

Dining- not sure if they have holiday-only items. We're vegetarians, so we just kind of look for what we can eat and gloss over the rest of the choices! But you will see characters in holiday costumes.

Other stuff- yes, as PP's said- do not miss Osbourne Spectacle of Lights. It will take your breath away.

I hope you have a fantastic time!