PDA

View Full Version : Chefs De France or Bistro De Paris?

azcavalier
02-10-2010, 11:17 AM
My DW and I are going to go to WDW for four days to celebrate our 15th anniversary. No kids. So, we're going to try a couple of restaurants that we've never eaten at before. So far, we want to eat at:

Le Cellier (her favorite)
Teppan Edo (we both love this)
California Grill (have always wanted to try this)

and then we thought we'd try one of the restaurants in France for dinner one night. What is the general opinion on these two choices?

Scar
02-10-2010, 12:46 PM
They are not comparable. Bistro de Paris is 10 times better, but much more expensive too. If you can aford it, do Bistro.

SBETigg
02-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Bistro de Paris is intimate, quiet, and very much fine dining. Elegant dishes, sauces, everything you think about good, more traditional French food.

Chefs de France is more street cafe, bustle and noise, gleaming brass, and the idea was more nouvelle cuisine with fresh local ingredients and lighter touches-- but the execution isn't quite the same as it was once intended. Not all that light, just not as big on sauces.

Chefs is one credit on the dining plan, and moderate-expensive. Popular with families as well as couples. There is a children's menu. Bistro is not on the dining plan and is expensive. Not popular with families. There isn't even a children's menu. I like them both, despite Chefs de France's occasional shortfalls (when it's good, it's very good) but Bistro is the one for a truly impressive meal.

cather74
02-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Has anyone ever tried the wine pairing menu?

azcavalier
02-10-2010, 02:22 PM
So is Bistro more of a Signature restaurant experience then? We're already hitting California Grill, so I doubt we could afford two in four days....hmmm....

WelshieLover
02-10-2010, 02:49 PM
So glad you asked this question. Which one is the one on the main floor and which is upstairs. We ate upstairs many many years ago.

SBETigg
02-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Bistro is the one upstairs, and yes it is a Signature Dining experience and in that price range.

dlpmikki
02-10-2010, 04:38 PM
We ate there last week (bistro) and it was incredible. The food and service was impeccable. We each had 3 courses. Drinks wise we had a kir to start with, a bottle of wine and finished with port. Total cost (with TiW discount) was $200. Not cheap by any means but we felt it was worth it as a treat. We plan to go there in October for an adults night out from the children as my sister loves french food.

Hammer
02-10-2010, 05:32 PM
I happen to like both restaurants. Bistro is a more initimate dining experience and Chefs dining room is seating like a French bistro as is the menu. I find it amusing that people say that the food is great at bistro, but found the food to be so bad at Chefs. The two restaurants share a kitchen using the same ingredients. As Bistro is small, you receive very personalized service.

As this is a kid-free trip, I would recommend Bistro as they do not provide a children's menu.

dlpmikki
02-10-2010, 05:36 PM
I like the food at both but they don't have the same menu.

Hammer
02-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Mikki, I know they don't have a same menu, but the chefs use the same materials cooked by the same people. People make comments that the food in general is bad at Chefs. I don't think that a chef takes more time on a dish for Bistro than one served at Chefs. Service is a whole other story, but again Chefs has never tried to bill itself as an initimate experience.

BTW- Rather than starting my meal with a Kir, I ended my meal at Bistro with a Kir and Illuminations from my window seat!

Scar
02-10-2010, 08:52 PM
So is Bistro more of a Signature restaurant experience then?Better.

Scar
02-10-2010, 08:55 PM
I find it amusing that people say that the food is great at bistro, but found the food to be so bad at Chefs. Just for the record, I didn't say the food at Chefs was bad, but it is much better at Bistro. :thumbsup:

Hammer
02-11-2010, 01:01 AM
Scar, I just don't think it is fair or accurate to compare the two restaurants, which many people do (though I don't think you ever have). The example I can think of, though it is non-Disney, is comparing a Spanish restaurant which specializes in tapas to a restaurant like the Columbia restaurant, probably the fanciest, nicest Spanish restaurant in Tampa. I think both are delicious and would eat at both, but I would not think to compare the two restaurants against each other as they are meant to showcase 2 different styles of Spanish dining, much like Chefs and Bistro do for French dining.

Scar
02-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Christine,

I agree with you, but to be fair to me, the OP was asking for opinions on both restaurants. I was just giving mine.

Hammer
02-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Scar, agreed. My comments had nothing to do with your postings but were a general commentary on postings I have seen here in the Dining forum ( as I need to read everything being a moderator). Sorry if it seemed like I was picking on you, as I really did not mean for it to seem that way.