PDA

View Full Version : If they moved the Super Bowl to saturday night...

gueli
02-10-2010, 07:51 AM
would you object ?

Look I understand, football is traditionaly played on sundays, but ever since they moved the start time back...

Just think about it for a minute-
How many people have a party ? Go to watch at a bar...
Now people on the west coast do not have to worry about it, save for the hangover- but wouldn't it be nice to have the big game on saturday- have it on late, be able to crash and get a good nights sleep without having to worry about work the next day ...

What are your thoughts ?

kakn7294
02-10-2010, 09:07 AM
I like Sunday. No particular reason other than tradition. I don't have issues with the time since we're in Eastern Standard Time. I watch it from home with the hubby and kids so I don't worry about the drunks in the bars or at parties. I think that if it were on Saturday, it would just give people an extra day to be idiots, get drunk, and cause problems. No thanks!

SBETigg
02-10-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm pretty much in agreement with Kathy. I like Sunday. It's a football day. Why give people a reason to indulge more? Having work the next day for a lot of people probably helps cut down on problems that might arise with overindulgence. I watch at home anyway. The excitement after the game keeps us up far longer than we should be on a Sunday night, but we make it through Monday. And plus, by Monday, it would be old news. As it is, the excitement lives as people can get back to the Monday grind with the shared experience of talking about the big game and all the commercials. It's a tradition that needs to stay as is, for me.

vicster
02-10-2010, 09:47 AM
I would prefer Saturday so I have the next day to clean up after the party instead of having to go to work!

Maleficent's Dad
02-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Mike & Mike (from ESPN Radio & ESPN 2) both suggested this the week leading up to the Super Bowl.

The NFL and the Networks want to keep it on Sunday - for one simple reason: Ratings. Sunday nights are the most popular TV nights of the week - consistently the highest ratings.

So it all comes down to the almight buck $$$
What else is new?

Personally, I'd love the idea. Not because I want to get slobbering drunk and not be hung over the next day, but simply because our household is an "early to bed, early to rise" type of family - and if we stayed up late on Saturday, we could sleep in on Sunday (at least a little).

Scar
02-10-2010, 10:53 AM
So it all comes down to the almight buck $$$
The NFL will never, ever, move the game from Sunday, nor do I think they should. Now what I do think they might do is move the game to the Sunday before President's Day. Maybe even increasing the season to 18 games. Of couse this would all have to be in the new CBA.

Greenlawler
02-10-2010, 10:57 AM
When I was growing up, my biggest problem with Sundays was evening church. There are hundreds of thousands of people who feel guilty once a year for skipping out to see the game...In fact the first time I ever played hooky it was for the 1977 Super Bowl not from school, but church.
Anyways, I am at a church now where we do not meet on Sunday nights. I do find it funny that the argument for moving revolves around a hangover. :mickey:
Irony

tink2006
02-10-2010, 10:58 AM
[Personally, I'd love the idea. Not because I want to get slobbering drunk and not be hung over the next day, but simply because our household is an "early to bed, early to rise" type of family - and if we stayed up late on Saturday, we could sleep in on Sunday (at least a little).[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I also think that too many peole call in sick the next day. Those that do go to work spend most of the day talking about the game/commercials.
I live in indiana (yes, we are mourning our loss) where some schools opted for a 2 hour delay or cancel school - not to give kids a chance to catch up on their sleep but because the schools have so many people call in sick the next day.... Not enough bus driver etc.

It just seems we would all be more productive if the game were on Saturday. Just my :twocents:

WDWfanatic742
02-10-2010, 11:47 AM
I am glad that they have moved the start time up the last few years. The game ended and I looked at the time and was like wow, it was only 10:30.

I say we should get a National Holiday the day after the Super Bowl. Nobody wants to go to work/school the day after. I know I didn't :D

JanetMegan
02-10-2010, 11:49 AM
I personally would love it swapped to a Saturday for exactly the reason other people are not agreeing with-which is I would like to party and get slobering drunk and not have to work the next day ;) I'm not really a big "tradition" person so I guess I don't really see the NEED for it to be on Sunday always-

kakn7294
02-10-2010, 04:22 PM
I understand what everyone is saying and probably most people are the responsible sort who only want to be able to stay up and watch the game, maybe enjoy a party, and not have to worry about getting up in the morning for work. I don't have a problem with that at all. What worries me is the small percentage of people who are complete idiots and party to excess, causing problems such as drunk driving accidents, destruction of property, and other serious crimes. I don't want to give those people another day to continue their "celebrations".

vicster
02-10-2010, 04:33 PM
What worries me is the small percentage of people who are complete idiots and party to excess, causing problems such as drunk driving accidents, destruction of property, and other serious crimes. I don't want to give those people another day to continue their "celebrations".

Do you honestly think it matters to those people if they do it on Saturday or Sunday?

kakn7294
02-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Do you honestly think it matters to those people if they do it on Saturday or Sunday?No but if the game is on Saturday and they don't have to go to work on Sunday, then they have an extra day to go out and do it all over again - and plenty of them will.

Scar
02-10-2010, 08:35 PM
No but if the game is on Saturday and they don't have to go to work on Sunday, then they have an extra day to go out and do it all over again - and plenty of them will.The type of people you are talking about don't need the excuse of a football game to do those things. Nor will a job prevent them from doing it.

kakn7294
02-11-2010, 12:07 AM
Whatever...

RAIDER
02-11-2010, 09:09 AM
I would prefer it on a saturday .
That way i wont have to go all bleary eyed to work monday morning as it finishes around 4am in the UK monday morning :D

PirateLover
02-11-2010, 11:50 AM
I wouldn't mind moving it to Saturday, although we make do on Sunday. As others have said, people who want to get sloppy drunk will do it no matter what day. With the game on Sundays they are the ones calling out from work or slogging through the day hungover.
I do usually indulge in alcoholic beverages while watching the Super Bowl and I actually had a snow day this past monday. I had one or two more maybe than normal, but I didn't get sloshed just because I had off the next day. I think the average person would have a similar attitude. Also we always invite friends over and cook tons of food, so as previously mentioned the cleanup time would be nice.