View Full Version : Ticket question

stephntampa
02-09-2010, 09:16 AM
I currently have a 3-day pass with one day left on it. I purchased this ticket in December. I am saving the last day for a visit in March with friends during spring break. What I would like to do is upgrade my ticket to the Fl resident weekday pass, but here is the question: the time my friends are visiting, season/weekday passes are in a blackout period. Would Disney allow me to visit the park that day and upgrade the ticket after the visit? Or do I have to upgrade prior to using the last day on my pass? Also, I am aware that the upgraded ticket expires on the day I first used the 3-day pass. Thanks fellow intercotees!!

faline
02-09-2010, 09:53 AM
I guessing you bought the no-expiration option in December? Otherwise, the tickets would have expired within 14 days of your purchase. Also, my understanding is that you have to upgrade your ticket within the 14 day window of first use or you are unable to upgrade.

stephntampa
02-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Sorry, should have been more specific :blush: It is a 3 day-play pass, so it expires 6 months after the day of first use.

DizneyRox
02-09-2010, 12:56 PM
I believe the 14 day upgrade limitation is still in place.

Tick-Tock
02-09-2010, 02:30 PM
I think you can use the value of your ticket to buy a pass, but only if you do it before you use the last day (once the last day is used, the ticket won't have any value to apply toward the pass you want to buy).

The 14-day period applies to upgrades to MYW tickets, but it's my understanding that you can always take what you have to the window and apply its value to another ticket. (For example, I have a two-year-old MYW ticket, no expiration option, with three days left. I can't add more days to this ticket, but I can apply whatever value this ticket has toward buying a new MYW ticket for, say, eight days.)

From Disney's Tickets FAQs:

Q. Can new tickets be upgraded once they're purchased?

A. Yes, the new Magic Your Way tickets can be upgraded before your vacation begins, or within the 14-day window you have to use the ticket after it's first used. Upgrades include extending the ticket length (i.e., adding more days) or adding any combination of Options: the Park Hopper® Option, the Water Park Fun & More Option*) and/or the No Expiration Option.

Q. Can I upgrade an existing ticket? Can a Park Hopper® ticket purchased before these new tickets were introduced be upgraded?

A. In general, you can upgrade to any type of ticket – provided the new ticket is of equal or greater value than the old ticket – by simply paying the difference. However, no refunds will be issued if the new ticket is of lesser value.

CleveRocks
02-09-2010, 03:03 PM
I think you can use the value of your ticket to buy a pass, but only if you do it before you use the last day (once the last day is used, the ticket won't have any value to apply toward the pass you want to buy).

The 14-day period applies to upgrades to MYW tickets, but it's my understanding that you can always take what you have to the window and apply its value to another ticket. (For example, I have a two-year-old MYW ticket, no expiration option, with three days left. I can't add more days to this ticket, but I can apply whatever value this ticket has toward buying a new MYW ticket for, say, eight days.)

From Disney's Tickets FAQs:

Q. Can new tickets be upgraded once they're purchased?

A. Yes, the new Magic Your Way tickets can be upgraded before your vacation begins, or within the 14-day window you have to use the ticket after it's first used. Upgrades include extending the ticket length (i.e., adding more days) or adding any combination of Options: the Park Hopper® Option, the Water Park Fun & More Option*) and/or the No Expiration Option.

Q. Can I upgrade an existing ticket? Can a Park Hopper® ticket purchased before these new tickets were introduced be upgraded?

A. In general, you can upgrade to any type of ticket – provided the new ticket is of equal or greater value than the old ticket – by simply paying the difference. However, no refunds will be issued if the new ticket is of lesser value.I'm afraid you're misunderstanding what you quoted from the FAQ; I highlighted the contradictory statements in red.

Once a ticket is past 14 days from its first use, it can't be upgraded or added to. PERIOD. A ticket for which the No Expiration option was already purchased ... that ticket can be used for admissions, but it has no value that can be applied to the purchase of another ticket.

Please understand that "applying the value of trhe ticket" is just another way of saying "upgrading that ticket" ... they're exactly the same thing.

So again, to clarify, a Magic Your Way ticket has a 14-day window from the date of its first use (whether or not the No Expiration option was purchased). It is ONLY during that 14 day window that the ticket maintains any monetary value. It is only during that 14 day window that you can upgrade or add to that ticket.

I don't enjoy being the bringer of bad news, but I also wouldn't like it if you expect to be able to do something with that ticket but then get disappointed when you can't do what you want. :mickey:

CleveRocks
02-09-2010, 03:10 PM
I just looked it up in a reference created (on another message board) by a current WDW CM who works in ticketing. It is true that the entitlements on the Play Three ticket expire 6 months from the date of the ticket's first use. But unfortunately, it's also true that the same 14-day window (for upgrading) that applies to regular MYW tickets also applies to Play Three tickets.

Tick-Tock
02-09-2010, 03:51 PM
So, you're saying that the second FAQ I quoted relates only to non-MYW tickets? When dealing with MYW tickets, the second FAQ is subject to the conditions of the first quoted FAQ?

I'm just trying to get this clear for my own understanding. I don't actually plan to try to upgrade, add to, or otherwise do anything with the tickets I have except use them to get into the park.

Tick-Tock
02-09-2010, 04:55 PM
I did some more reading and it looks like my understanding was based on older procedure (from the first 18 months or so of MYW, before they became strict on the 14-day rule). Good to know in case I ever do want to exchange.