PDA

View Full Version : Newport, RI

ryca1dreams
02-08-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm looking at going to Newport next May (2011) and would like to take day trips out to NYC and Boston. Would I be better off staying in or near Newport, somewhere within driving distance?
Any suggestions on a place to stay? I personally like B&Bs (especially ones with some history) and will be with family (DW & DS(13)).
Thanks in advance.

momef3grls
02-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Is beautiful. My daughter is in school up there and we have gone multiple times. A day trip to NYC might not be a great idea. It is at least a 4 hr drive each way and that is without traffic. Boston is very managable and only about a 45min drive. We usually stay in Seekonk, MA. I am not sure on B&B's in the area but I am sure you could find some. Try to stay in the 195 corridor and you should be ok.

NJGIRL
02-08-2010, 02:54 PM
I agree with Tina. I would leave NYC for another trip. There is so much to do there it will keep you busy for a week by itself.

I suggest you split you time between Newport, Boston & Salem. Spending two or three whole days in each will give you a nice taste of what they have to offer. Salem is only about 45 mins from Boston.

We haven't done B &B's but in Newport we stayed at the Marriott (on the water) which had the trolley station right next door. We took the trolley to the mansions which was nice since there was alot of walking from mansion to mansion already. The mansions are so cool to tour!

In Boston we stayed at the Omni that was across from the Boston Commons. We did the Freedom Trail that was full of interesting history.

In Salem we stayed at another Marriott (it was actually in Peabody which is 5 mins out of town). We followed a marked trail through town (just like Boston) which will lead you to all the witch & pirate attractions including the Seven Gables House. Loved Salem and would like to go back!

EmmMOM2
02-20-2010, 06:51 AM
Iagree as well stick to Newport and Boston. NYC isn't close at all.

Though there is plenty to do in Newport itself. The mansion tours are always nice, though a bit pricey. Make SURE to do the cliff walk, it's beautiful and free. :) The cliff walk itself always takes me a couple hours.

Do you need suggestions on places to stay? Just make sure you pick a place thats within walking distance to the shops along thames or american cup blvd....area. I like that area the best.

My favorite place to eat is on Thames and called "Brick alley pub" check it out, the food is great!!

Just got back from a Boston trip myself, let me know if you need a recommendation on where to stay. Check out the Boston Science Museum if you have extra time, it's quite impressive. The Freedom Trail is a must do for tourists. You can walk it yourself or get a guided tour (there are many of them).
If you like baseball check out a redsox game (Always fun).
Walk along the water near where the aquarium is, its a beautiful place..

dream6
05-09-2010, 01:57 PM
If you are really set on making a day trip to NYC you could always stay somewhere in Connecticut. That way you are central to the three places you want to go. Just be prepared to do some driving. I went to school in Newport and it is one of my favorite places in the world :) Brick Alley is a fun restaurant to go to as a previous poster said - but the Black Pearl is one of my favorites.

If you are going to stay in Newport, there are a million (well, maybe not a million...) bed and breakfasts to choose from but one doesn't really jump out at me.

EpcotNut
05-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Make SURE to do the cliff walk, it's beautiful and free. :) The cliff walk itself always takes me a couple hours.

Totally agree - an absolute MUST-DO. AS far as where to stay...you could stay in Providence as well. Close to Boston (40 min) and Newport (20 min) with tons of history, plenty to do and LOTS of great restaurants. I also agree re: NYC - too far for a day trip (especially given the traffic). If you are willing to do an overnight in the city ($$$), you can take the trainf from Providence.

Whatever you decide - enjoy!:thumbsup:

EpcotNut
05-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Another great restaurant in Newport - the Red Parrot. My favorite, without question!:thumbsup:

ravsluvdisney
05-11-2010, 07:35 PM
My DH and I spent our anniversary a few years ago in Newport. We stayed at a beautiful B&B called the Cliffside Inn. Great place, only a minute to get to the Cliff Walk (which is a must do) and great breakfast that is included each morning. Newport is a great place to spend a long weekend. Enjoy!

CPT Trips
05-12-2010, 01:29 PM
I think some of the driving times given are very optimistic . . . getting to Boston from either Newport or Providence will take longer than predicted.

Heck, it'll take you 45 minutes to find a parking space :)

crazypoohbear
05-18-2010, 08:29 PM
I think some of the driving times given are very optimistic . . . getting to Boston from either Newport or Providence will take longer than predicted.

Heck, it'll take you 45 minutes to find a parking space :)

I was thinking that. I live in Metrowest (40 minutes outside of boston)
My son goes to school in Providence and it takes me 45 minutes on a good day, driving at a off times to get to providence and for me it's a straight shot down 495 to 95 and his dorm is the exit before the Providence place mall!
OH and I tend to drive 70 as my cruising speed! and I know where all the cruisers sit with radar! a tourist would not have this valuable information!

A much more realistic version of Newport to boston would be just over one and 1/2 hours without our fabulous rush hour traffic.
Then going from boston to Salem is another 25 minutes with minimal traffic.
Unless you already have tickets to a sox game or are willing to pay an arm and a leg forget it!

You also could go from Newport to Cape Cod, plenty of B & B's there! beautiful beaches and shops.

Mfarquar
05-19-2010, 09:46 AM
I agree with CPT Trips! I have recently moved to MA and live just South of Boston. We have friends that live in Newport and Narragansett, RI. It takes us about 1.5 hours to get to their house. I would plan on the same from Newport to Boston WITHOUT any traffic and without parking.

If you are intent on visiting Boston, I suggest splitting the trip between Newport and Boston so that you can maximize your time and minimize your stress. :)