PDA

View Full Version : Driving from CT to Disney - need advice!!

Diznut
02-06-2010, 10:08 PM
So here we go again. We're planning our next trip to Disney. We are going in May. Me, DH, and 2 kids (2 and 5). We are on a tight budget and opted to drive. This will be a new experience for us. We are staying off property at the Hawthorn Suites.
So I pretty much need advice about driving down - where to stop, when to leave, how long it usually takes, etc. And any advice about the hotel would be great too. First time staying at this property. Thanks in advance! Happy to be back on the Intercot site to help plan our trip.

faline
02-06-2010, 10:21 PM
We've driven from Massachusetts before. It's a long drive. We used to leave around 4 in the morning. From here, it's about 27 hours from Disney. We've never done the drive with kids your age - my daugher was 7 the first time we drove it and was a really good traveler. With two drivers trading off every few hours, you should be able to make it into South Carolina or Georgia your first day out. If your kids are not used to long car trips, you might have to settle for half way there on your first day. We never made hotel reservations on the way down as we never knew how far we'd get. We would stop around 10 or so at night (in the early days, we'd drive almost straight through and stop in a rest area for a few hours of sleep in our van though I don't recommend this!) and find a hotel.

Tink#64
02-06-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm sorry I can't help you more with your specifics, we're in KY & have only driven once.
We too are driving this year and I have to admit that we are spoiled to flying, but I'd rather drive than not go to WDW! We also drove our last trip & survived so we figure we can cut travel cost by more than half so ROAD TRIP! Our DS's are 12 & 14 & they entertain themselves with the DVD players & their Ipods & phones. I pack plenty of snacks & drink and we stop every few hours for everyone to get out & stretch, bathroom, get a meal, gas, or whatever.

In the past we've made ressies at what we figured to be half way point in driving trips, but we aren't this year. I really prefer to just drive until we feel like stopping & then we find something right off the interstate based on what signs we see! We're about 13-1/2 hour drive, which translates to at least 15 with stops, so we'll drive as long as we want on the first day, I'm hoping maybe 9 - 10 hours & then only have a few left the next morning & arrive at WDW fairly fresh & ready to start our vaca! I'm not a good car rider, I get too bored/restless! I can't hardly stand more than about 9 - 10 hours in the car & I'm ready to scream! Not the kids - me! :blush:

Wishing you a magical trip! :tink:

MIKESMOM
02-07-2010, 06:05 AM
I drive south from Maine a couple times a year.I'm not sure what route you are planning on taking but I would avoid the DC, Alexandria VA area at all cost. When driving this route I have NEVER not hit HEAVY traffic. We usually take I-84 in CT, to I-81 in PA,pick up 17 in Winchester VA. This brings you to I-95 just above Fredericksburg,VA. We never make hotel reservations because we are never sure how far we will drive.
Have a safe & magical trip :mickey:

CanadianWDWFan
02-07-2010, 09:37 AM
We almost always drive from the Toronto Area so I can't help you on the specifics of your drive but I do have tips.

Our youngest has been driving since he was six months old and he is now 6yo. We do the trip at least once per year so I think that we have the drive down pat. It takes us around 22 hours so our drive is similar to yours. Like mentioned before, DVD players are a must. Handheld gaming systems are good as well. Our boys do like to read so we always have books around. With all the extras that we bring, we almost nerve hear "Are we there yet?" :D

We never have reservations for a hotel on the way down, but we do like to have a distance/town to reach on each day. We are drive commandos, we only stop for gas and food. But I know others like to stop every couple of hours just to get the kids out of the car to stretch their legs. My take on this is that every stop just adds time to the over all trip.

For us the drive is part of the experience, a time to enjoy since you are with your family and on the way to WDW.

mom2Z&A
02-07-2010, 12:10 PM
I drive south from Maine a couple times a year.I'm not sure what route you are planning on taking but I would avoid the DC, Alexandria VA area at all cost. When driving this route I have NEVER not hit HEAVY traffic. We usually take I-84 in CT, to I-81 in PA,pick up 17 in Winchester VA. This brings you to I-95 just above Fredericksburg,VA. We never make hotel reservations because we are never sure how far we will drive.
Have a safe & magical trip :mickey:

Great point Mikesmom - :thumbsup: I second that! I only have one other reason to add avoiding I-95S driving down from CT. This would be to avoid the NJ turnpike and Delaware Memorial Bridge into MD (the toll is an utter ripoff itself and the traffic there can be pretty bad as well). Don't pick up 95 till your well south of DC. If you follow Mikesmom advice you'll avoid that whole section on I-95 :D

Good Luck on your drive down!

wdwfansince75
02-07-2010, 03:42 PM
OK, time for the I-81 pitch....
Having done the WDW trip from NEPA and Central PA, and having visited NEPA from SC many, many times, I am a big I-81 fan....If you are North of I-78, I recommend I-81 to I-77 to I-26 to I-95, and on to !-4.

Not sure that 17 through VA saves any time, and it is decidedly less scenic....I-77 is a great choice....The 81/77/26 route has no major obstacles. Mileage is slightly greater than 95 all the way, but the openness and scenary is worth the very few extra miles. Believe it saves at least some time, and by avoiding most potential traffic jams, can save lots of times on bad days.

Lots of good stops along the way...newer major chains all along the route, both for rooms and for eats....almost no bad exits or choices....

PETE FROM NYC
02-07-2010, 08:12 PM
DW and I did the road trip last September.
We left Queens on Sunday morning to avoid the DC traffic everyone warns about. Now, we did not go directly to WDW. We did a couple of days at the Virginia theme parks. Other than our detour in Virginia, we did 95 all the way, and never had any problems with traffic.
DW does not drive, so I was taking it nice and easy because I had never done that kind of drive before. Each day, I just kept driving until I felt it was enough.
One thing that we did notice was that you have to get off of 95 for toilets and restaurants in most of the states we went through. We did travel with a cooler filled with drinks and sandwiches. We arrived at WDW a day earlier than expected, and that extra night we spent in Knights Inn right outside of WDW for less than $40. Then we had nine nights staying at Pop Century, then another four nights at an outside hotel to do the other area parks. After that we went to visit family in Tampa area for a couple of days before heading back home.
The trip totalled 23 days, around $45 in tolls round trip and 2700 miles on the car.
Now we are looking to do the same next September.
If you have any more questions, PM me your phone number and what time to call and we will try to give you our best answers.
Enjoy your trip.