PDA

View Full Version : Ian's No ADR Trip - A Summary

Ian
02-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Just thought I'd post this little review of our recent trip, since there's so much discussion these days about the need to have ADR's for every meal, over-schedule, etc.

This last trip that we just finished we decided we weren't going to make a single ADR for our entire stay. Not one. We decided that we were just going to wing it and hope for the best. We're tired of being slaves to our dining reservations and having to say things like, "Sorry kids. You don't have time to meet Mickey, because we just have to get to Epcot or we'll miss our ADR." Ridiculous.

So how did it work out? Quite well, actually. We were able to get in at every place we tried without exception. We ate breakfast at Ohana, Hollywood & Vine, and 1900 Park Fare, dinner at Teppan Edo, Le Cellier and Chefs De France, lunch at Rainforest Cafe and The Plaza. We even had ice cream and snacks at Beaches & Cream. No ADR's, no problems.

And boy was it really great not having to worry about being in a certain place at a certain time. We ate when we got hungry and picked a place close by and were never turned away. Not once.

Now admittedly January is pretty slow. I don't think I would try it during the summer or over Christmas. But from now on when we go during a down time we are definitely passing on the ADR's and playing it by :mickey:.

jillluvsdisney
02-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Good for you. I'm glad it worked out. January is a great time to try that.

We used to make ADRs for every day. The last few trips we left a day or 2 open and that plan worked well for us.

mouseketeer mom
02-06-2010, 06:43 PM
That is fantastic, and you got into some wonderful places!

faline
02-06-2010, 06:47 PM
A few years back, we did just fine on a last minute June weekend trip. Because it was last minute, we decided we'd just wing it with dining so didn't even attempt to make dining reservations before we left. We figured we'd just be prepared to be turned away from some places. Despite the lack of dining reservations, we were able to have lunch at Le Cellier and Liberty Tree Tavern. I don't remember any other places we dined but we were pleasantly surprised with our experience.

Madame Leona
02-06-2010, 07:10 PM
We usually don't do the dining plan (with the exception of free dining) and we don't make adrs. I've always had decent luck but I would never wing it during free dining. I had a hard time getting adrs and when we got there, I couldn't change any of our times.

buzznwoodysmom
02-06-2010, 07:12 PM
I would definitely love to try that if we go back during a slower period. Our last two trips were in the summer and then Thanksgiving day week so ADRs were necessary. But we feel much the same, kind of tired of having to tell the kids to get out of the pool because we've gotta be ready to be back in the park for an ADR. We cancelled a few ADRs this past Nov. because we were just having too much fun to go get ready for dinner. Glad it worked out for you and your family.

Hammer
02-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Glad this worked out for you and you got to eat at some nice places. While you note that this was feasible due to the time of year, I also wonder if the time of day mattered as well. For dinner, what time did you try for a walk-up? As I like eating dinner at around 7:30 (as does the rest of my family), I would think it would be harder to obtain a walk-up table than say 5:00-5:30.

Patricia
02-06-2010, 08:29 PM
I know I'm not the norm.. but I still never make ADR's. I never have a clue where I'm going to be and have no desire to switch parks if I'm having fun. We always eat what we want.

Tink#64
02-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Thanks Ian! Always enjoy learning from your experiences! We only make a couple of adr's - only for the 1 or 2 places that are a must do for that trip, the rest we wing! I can't imagine having those restraints on our day - everyday!

We always enjoy our dining experiences in WDW, but we aren't there for the food, so for us dining is second fiddle to our time doing everything else we want to do whenever we want to do it!

Thanks for reminding us that it's ok "wing it" sometimes!

Ian
02-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Glad this worked out for you and you got to eat at some nice places. While you note that this was feasible due to the time of year, I also wonder if the time of day mattered as well. For dinner, what time did you try for a walk-up? As I like eating dinner at around 7:30 (as does the rest of my family), I would think it would be harder to obtain a walk-up table than say 5:00-5:30.It varied. We definitely ate dinner most times between 5 and 6, but I think our Teppan Edo meal was more like 7 or so.

I agree with you, though, that a willingness to be flexible with when you eat is critical if you want to go with no ADR's. If you're picky about what time you eat, I wouldn't try it.

Thanks Ian! Always enjoy learning from your experiences! We only make a couple of adr's - only for the 1 or 2 places that are a must do for that trip, the rest we wing! I can't imagine having those restraints on our day - everyday!I think we may do this next time. Just make one or two "important" ADR's and then wing it the rest of the way.

SBETigg
02-07-2010, 10:45 AM
I think it's really cool that you were able to do all this without ADRs. Good to know what's really possible. In a quieter season, of course, but it's still inspiring. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Joannelet
02-07-2010, 11:40 AM
I was wondering where your trip reports were!! :)
I'm so happy that you reported on this! When we did the dining plan in December not only are we never doing the dining plan again but it made me realize how ridiculous all the ADR's were. I dont' like planning my vacation around eating, it drives me nuts because we miss out on so many other things. Plus we don't get to do the order of the parks the way I want because it depends on where we are eating that day and that too drives me nuts!
For future trips I am only planning on making 1 or 2 ADR's and that is it...I'm tired of stressing out over where we have to be and how long its going to take me to get there.
Now that I have a child its even more difficult because half the times I made an ADR it wasn't a time that the baby ate and ended up having to feed him before or after our ADR anyways. This way if I don't have an ADR and he needs to eat at a certain time I will just get any counter service for him if need be. This just allows for more flexibility and less to be running around for. Thanks Ian for posting this! I really appreciate it!

MegaDisney
02-07-2010, 12:01 PM
My last two trips to WDW I felt like a "slave to ADR's" and it was one of the reasons I didn't enjoy my trips as much as I would have liked.

I felt like we were running here and there just to eat and didn't have time to relax and enjoy the trip.

Thanks for posting this, on my next WDW trip I am gonna try and do it ADR free!

JPL
02-07-2010, 02:17 PM
I don't mind having a few ADRs but never like being tied down on vacation so I often go ADR free. I can always find some place to eat and if I can't get a TS I can survive on CS since there is still enough variety. Glad to hear it worked out for you. After travelling with my cousin and her twins last year I realized how silly it is for families to be a slave to the ADR.

Jeff
02-07-2010, 02:52 PM
That's good to hear.
I'm looking forward to being able to go at a non super busy time someday. I would love to not have to have o make ADRs.

sndral
02-07-2010, 03:48 PM
I sometimes wondered this last trip just what good ADRs where - we waited several times well past our ADR time and watched what were clearly walkups be seated before us. The only place we saw a walkup turned away was La Cellier.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-07-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm glad to hear everything worked out for you. ADRs do take a lot of itme out of your day. We found that the ADRs at resort restaurants were especially time consuming but other than Epcot, that's where the best places seem to be.

TheVBs
02-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Great news! So glad to hear this worked out for you. :mickey:

We've done the everyday ADRs and the dining plan and won't be doing either again. I would much rather make just one or two ADRs, have more freedom and take our chances on walk-ins, or just get CS.

Kim Possible
02-07-2010, 05:04 PM
that's awesome that it worked out so well! for my trip i always have to make reservations because the places i love are usually the popular ones

Ian
02-07-2010, 06:22 PM
I sometimes wondered this last trip just what good ADRs where - we waited several times well past our ADR time and watched what were clearly walkups be seated before us. The only place we saw a walkup turned away was La Cellier.Yeah, it's funny you mention this, because when we ate at Le Cellier we walked up to the reservations kiosk out front (the one that's set up actually outside the gate there, not the one inside the restaurant) and stood in line behind a couple who had ADR's and were checking in.

When it was our turn, we almost jokingly asked, "I don't suppose there's any chance you have a table available?" and the CM was like, "Oh well we could seat you right now if you'd like?" :thumbsup:

So when we went inside, the couple that had been ahead of us was speaking to the hostess and I heard her telling them, "The wait could be up to 30 minutes." Not wanting to wait that long, I checked in with her and was told, "Oh you're next to be seated!" and we literally had a table inside of 2 or 3 minutes.

I watched and it took close to 20 minutes before the couple with the ADR's were seated. :D

caryrae
02-07-2010, 06:43 PM
We also never make ADR's except once we did one for T-Rex just in case but it ended up not being needed, there was a whole big section not being used. We just never know what we will be in the mood for or where we will be or even if we will be hungry at that time. Like you said we are on vacation and don't want to be at a certain place at a certain time throughout the trip, I have enough of that at work.

javamama
02-07-2010, 07:16 PM
good for you guys I hate having to stress about this stuff 180 days out, what park has EMH, all that stuff c'mon we're on vacation and we're worrying about eating? I do it like the majority, but I'm not a fan at all. I like the old way of walking up putting your name on a list, or calling ahead when your down there-kwim? I'm glad it worked out for you guys, and you ate at some great places too that's even better! I wish May was like this still, but I don't think so anymore. Thanks for the update!

Hammer
02-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Yeah, it's funny you mention this, because when we ate at Le Cellier we walked up to the reservations kiosk out front (the one that's set up actually outside the gate there, not the one inside the restaurant) and stood in line behind a couple who had ADR's and were checking in.

When it was our turn, we almost jokingly asked, "I don't suppose there's any chance you have a table available?" and the CM was like, "Oh well we could seat you right now if you'd like?" :thumbsup:

So when we went inside, the couple that had been ahead of us was speaking to the hostess and I heard her telling them, "The wait could be up to 30 minutes." Not wanting to wait that long, I checked in with her and was told, "Oh you're next to be seated!" and we literally had a table inside of 2 or 3 minutes.

I watched and it took close to 20 minutes before the couple with the ADR's were seated. :D

Sorry, if I had been that couple, I would have been absolutely livid that anyone without an ADR was seated before me. Sorry Ian, but your family should have been made to wait. I know if your family had been the ones with the ADR and some walk-up was seated before you, you would have been fuming.

CaptSmee
02-08-2010, 12:19 AM
I'm going to do the same thing on an upcoming trip for the same reason. Let's hurry! We have to get to so and so! Sheesh! Is it the end of the world if we miss an ADR? Unless maybe it's Ohana? :cloud9:

Belster
02-08-2010, 12:51 AM
Wow!!! I am impressed at your leap of faith!!:thumbsup:

I have been thinking of doing this myself...I don't if I can muster up the courage.

Melanie
02-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Being local now, we've tried out the no ADR thing quite often recently, and have had pretty good luck.

Regarding your seating at LeCellier, did it have anything to do with the couple having reserved a two top and you guys needing a four? I can somewhat understand that, but they should have still been seated first.

TinksDH
02-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Family size can also make a difference in being able to obtain last-minute seating. We are a family of 5, and as such, seating flexibility is greatly reduced for us. If you are a family of 4 or less, your table options are much greater. Granted, some restaurants have the ability to push two 4-seat tables together to make a 6-seat table, but you need for both of them to be side-by-side and open up at the same time. I often watch smaller groups who arrive later than us at a check in station get taken before us due to the group size. So for us, we tend to like to make ADR's just to ensure we get to eat when we want to. We also find that we get immersed in the day and by the time we realize we are hungry, it is late enough that getting a walk-up seating would be much more difficult.

Ian
02-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Sorry, if I had been that couple, I would have been absolutely livid that anyone without an ADR was seated before me. Sorry Ian, but your family should have been made to wait. I know if your family had been the ones with the ADR and some walk-up was seated before you, you would have been fuming.Oh Christine, I totally agree with you. The only thing is, that couple had no idea that we didn't have ADR's, I'm sure.

Also, as will be discussed shortly, there are far fewer 2-top tables in Le Cellier than there are 4-top, so that probably contributed to it.

Regarding your seating at LeCellier, did it have anything to do with the couple having reserved a two top and you guys needing a four? I can somewhat understand that, but they should have still been seated first.I'm quite certain it did, Mel. We immediately took notice that the number of two person tables was a lot less than four person tables. I'm sure that made a huge difference.

Family size can also make a difference in being able to obtain last-minute seating. We are a family of 5, and as such, seating flexibility is greatly reduced for us. If you are a family of 4 or less, your table options are much greater.Just for the record, we were a 5 person party for most of the trip as one of our friends traveled with us. She happened to be visiting her Mom down in Tampa when we ate at Le Cellier, which is why we were only a party of 4 at that point.

forever a child
02-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Glad to hear that walk-ins can still enjoy sit down meals. I was beginning to wonder about ADR controlling my trip.:down:

I plan on doing walk-ins for our next trip. We eat when we are hungry and not on any set schedule. Being that there are just two of us I don't think we will have a difficult time. :thumbsup:

Thanks for great post!:mickey:

Hammer
02-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Oh Christine, I totally agree with you. The only thing is, that couple had no idea that we didn't have ADR's, I'm sure.

Also, as will be discussed shortly, there are far fewer 2-top tables in Le Cellier than there are 4-top, so that probably contributed to it.

I'm quite certain it did, Mel. We immediately took notice that the number of two person tables was a lot less than four person tables. I'm sure that made a huge difference.

Except whenever I make ADRs for Le Cellier, it is always a party of 2. We are usually seated within 5 minutes and almost always at 4 top. I think that is the issue I have with that host/hostess. Most Le Cellier hosts/hostesses put parties of 2 at a 4 top. I just think the person who was working messed up (though you did benefit ;) ).

Ian
02-08-2010, 07:00 PM
I would guess it depends on how busy they are, Christine. If Disney can put four paying guests at a four-top table in front of 2 paying guests I'd be shocked if they didn't take that opportunity most times.

Not saying that it's right at all, but just knowing how they operate that's what I would expect them to do.

Hammer
02-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Ian, what you're saying can be true, but that could also backfire. I know that my sister and I spend more at a meal than some families of four as we always have alcohol (usually more than 1) with our meals and order all 3 courses. You know how big of a moneymaker alcohol is for a restaurant. We can't be that unique :) !

Ian
02-09-2010, 07:25 AM
Ian, what you're saying can be true, but that could also backfire. I know that my sister and I spend more at a meal than some families of four as we always have alcohol (usually more than 1) with our meals and order all 3 courses. You know how big of a moneymaker alcohol is for a restaurant. We can't be that unique :) !Ha ha ha ...

Trust me, there is no one who consumes more alcohol on a trip to Disney World than parents with two kids in tow. ;)

Granny Jill A
02-09-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm glad to see this thread pop up. I don't like to schedule my vacation around eating, so I just say No to ADRs.

The "free" dining offers have really disrupted the spontaneity of a vacation. I'm sad that I can't just pop in to sample a restaurant like the old days.

rubato
02-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Hearing this makes me VERY happy! I absolutely hated having to stop what we were doing every single day to make it somewhere else on time. And, with Disney transportation, we would be struggling to make it or be an hour early! So, I will just try this next time. We always travel in the very off season, so shouldn't be a problem. Last month, there were empty tables everywhere we went, except Le Cellier. But, since it wasn't that good, I don't need to go back there! :mickey:

Septbride2002
02-11-2010, 04:17 PM
That's awesome but I doubt it would work as well in the fall.

Ian
02-11-2010, 05:44 PM
That's awesome but I doubt it would work as well in the fall.Nope. The only time I might try it in fall would be early September.

Once it gets to be MNSSHP time and the DVCers show up, I think you'd be out of luck.

Septbride2002
02-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Nope. The only time I might try it in fall would be early September.

Once it gets to be MNSSHP time and the DVCers show up, I think you'd be out of luck.

Not to mention the free dining crowd :secret:

~Amanda

eandrsmom
02-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Thanks for posting your report. I hate being a slave to ADR's. On our next trip, we won't be using the dining plan, so I probably won't need to worry too much about ADR's. Whenever I pay for the dining plan, I feel like we have to make ADR's, so that we get our money's worth. I think that not purchasing the dining plan is going to make things a lot less stressful.

biodtl
02-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Our last trip was the first time we made more than 1 or 2 special (can't miss) ADRs and to be honest, our experience wasn't much different than when we didn't - either way we have been lucky enough to get in where we wanted.

So next time, we'll probably go back to the old way - making ADRs only for the can't miss stuff and playing it by ear for the rest. I'm sure it helps a lot that we are VERY flexible - we will eat lunch at 2:00 and eat dinner at 8:30pm. If we have to , we'll pick up snacks (or leftover DDP desserts) to hold us over until meal time.

We usually end up calling the dining line in the morning before we head out and just ask what is available for the park (or nearby resorts) we are visiting. We don't care if it's lunch or dinner and we're not picky on times or type of food.

Even if we don't get our first choice, we still end up happy and satisfied and it's a great way to end up trying new and different restaurants.