PDA

View Full Version : Tommy's Birthday part 4

BigThunderFan
02-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Well hello again everyone, hope you all are having better weather than we are! I AM SO SICK OF SNOW!!!
Nothing like another trip report to help warm me up and remind me of beautiful sunny WDW.

1/26 Animal Kingdom
Today we headed off to AK to face the mighty Yeti! My son has been looking forward to this since our last trip when he was just under 44". We followed the very small rope drop group over to EE and I got fastpasses for all of us while DW & DS rode. DD was too short and really wanted to ride, but we spent many hours letting her know this was one she couldn't ride and she did very good. She loved just checking out the sights and watching the trains come flying down the hill out of the tunnel. She screamed with each train just like she was on it :) I think it helped she made a friend of the little boy next to her. After they got off, DS was a little shaken (not stirred) so I just hopped in the single rider line and got on the first train. Later on he was ready to ride again and same response, a little shaky getting off, but now he says it was his favorite ride!
Afterwards we moseyed over to Africa and rode KS. This was the best safari experience we ever had. All of the animals were up and in plain view, and many were right next to the vehicle. We passed within a couple feet of one of the baby giraffes, and again about 5 feet from the white rhino. Our safari guide was great, and full of information. All four of us loved it and we picked up a set of FP for it again later.
Now it was off to ITTBAB. We spent some time slowly moseying (my word for today) around the Discovery Island Trails and looking for different animals we may not have seen. We walked in and right into a show. The kids loved it, especially the part with the bugs leaving before you!
Next it was on to Dinoland USA and to Dinosaur. This was DD first time and she didn't like it very much. For such a brave girl (she loves HM and did ok on ToT) she did not like the loud dinos and the jerky ride. Made a cute picture though :)
We grabbed another set of FP for this later and decided to grab some lunch. I walked over and got some BBQ for DW & me at Flame Tree, while the kids had Restaurantasaurus burgers & chicken nuggets. Afterwards we headed to Camp Minnie Mickey, which was a first for us. We had planned to see the FOTLK, but just missed it. So we hit the characters. We got some good time with Goofy, Daisy, and Miss Bunny from Bambi before the crowd from the show came out and the place was packed with Brazilians who ran right up to all the characters to take pics, despite the cast members protests. Needless to say we hightailed it out of there. We went and rode EE again, then let the kiddos blow off some steam at the Boneyard. Man what a cool play area, but it scares me if I can't see the kids for a second or two.
We rode a few more times on Dinosaur and EE before one last trip on Kili Safari. This one was nowhere near as good as the morning one and very disappointing. Another thing, we missed the final Lion King show. Oh well, now we have some new things to look forward to on another trip!
Random notes: We saw DaVine (sp) for the first time, this was something I really wanted to do after reading about her and it was really neat. We also met Terk from Tarzan and Flik from A Bug's Life on the character trails. I took a LOT of pics here of just random stuff. The details around EE and it's queue. The buildings in Harambe. The animals on the Tree of Life. There are so many little details at AK and I really love this park. We were planning on returning on 1/28, but ended up changing our mind last minute.

We skipped the 4:45 parade since it was pretty crowded and caught an early bus to AKL for our ADR at Boma. I love Boma but DW does not. At ALL. Coupled with that, we had very poor service (or complete lack there of) this night and now I think I may never get to go again. Sad because I really like the food here. But DS did really good, and he loved the zebra domes!

We were back at WL by 7:30 and all hit the pool for a little while. We called it an early evening and got some much needed rest!

Again, thanks for reading! The snow is bad here, and I'm bored at work so you all might get day 5 today as well!

SBETigg
02-05-2010, 03:25 PM
What a great AK day! So glad the DD didn't get upset that she couldn't ride Everest, too. So much to look forward to in future trips!

BigThunderFan
02-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Yeah, this was the one I was worried about. For months all she wanted to do was watch "the Yeti Ride" on the computer and she thought it was so cool. I guess we did a good job explaining to her that she would get a special chance to ride it next time. Space Mountain caught us off guard. I think that one was more because the cast member made her wait at the exit rather than allow her to ride another using the child swap pass.

faline
02-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Lovely Animal Kingdom day! Sorry about ther service at Boma - that must have been quite disappointing!

pdrlkr
02-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

dtootsie42
02-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Another great day!

Joannelet
02-06-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm so glad you enjoyed animal kingdom :)
I was a cast member there and I too believe the attention to detail in this park is exceptional and sometimes can be under appreciated by many who go there.
But it sounds like you actually lingered about and enjoyed it :)
(which is how its supposed to be :)

Great report!!
Its snowing here too by the way well over a foot of snow and so I'm enjoying these trip reports very much while my DS naps :)

KylesMom
02-08-2010, 09:23 AM
We, too enjoy AK very much. Dinosaur is one of those attractions that you never how one will react until their first ride. Needless to say, I remember DS being horrified the first year (or two :D) that he rode. We make him sit on the end now for the full effect!

Sorry to hear that your dinner at Boma was disappointing, especially knowing that it wasn't your DW's favorite to begin with. Nice way to finish the day, though! :mickey:

vizsla
02-10-2010, 05:17 AM
Thanks for the report.

DisneyorBust
02-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the report. I agree with you concerning the details at AK, this holds true for each park as well. I like to slow the touring down a bit and take in all that I can. This doesn't always work though, my 'inner child' tends to take charge every now and then when I'm at WDW!