PDA

View Full Version : Online site for fireworks viewing?

BigRedDad
02-05-2010, 01:05 PM
I can't remember, but I thought I saw a site that had wind directions to plan for watching/photographing Wishes and Illuminations.

Does anyone know if there is a site with this information?

Strmchsr
02-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Yeah, there are a couple of sites that offer that forecast. However, it's pretty useless unless you're keeping track of that while actually in the park. Wind speed and direction changes throughout the day and, unless a cold front has just passed or is approaching, can be incredibly difficult to forecast, which is why I don't include something like that in my daily forecast package here on Intercot. The best way to figure it is when the about an hour or so before Illuminations starts figure out which direction the wind is blowing then. Just use the old "lick your finger, hold it up in the air and see which side feels cooler" method or throw some grass in the air. Whichever way the grass blows is the way the smoke will go. You don't want to do that too early as wind direction often changes over the lagoon due to temp and pressure differential between water and air after sunset.

As an FYI, though, I've looked through the various research and historically the wind will blow towards the US/Japan/Italy direction about 25% of the time, towards the UK 20% of the time, and towards Canada and France/Moracco equally just under 15% of the time. The countries impacted by the smoke least often, historically, are Mexico and Germany (about 5% each) with China/Norway around 8% and back towards the Plaza around 7%.

kakn7294
02-06-2010, 02:02 AM
Chris gave great info but just to add, we look at the direction of the flames on the torches around the lagoon. They will be "slanted" in the direction of the wind flow.