PDA

View Full Version : Splitting Stay?

DizneyDoug
02-04-2010, 09:59 PM
I am finalizing plans for a July 8 night trip and am having a hard time deciding between a couple of hotels (Poly, WL, BC).... I am thinking about splitting a stay between two of them but am looking for others experiences and whether they would do it again. I'm not sure if I want to spend a couple of days, pack up and move and have to get settled in again.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Seasonscraps
02-04-2010, 10:19 PM
I have done it a few times and don't really find it to be a hassle. Occasionally, we'll decide to head down a day early so we just need to keep one day's worth of clothes available and leave a bulk of our stuff packed. Disney will move your bags for you - so that part is easy.

The other thing to consider is that a split stay is considered two different reservations. You'll have to check out of the first resort and physically check into the second resort. You will be without a room for a few hours during the day.

This also means if you are purchasing a package with the dining plan - the credits you recieved with the first reservation will expire at midnight on the day you check into the 2nd resort.

brownie
02-05-2010, 10:06 AM
We've done it a couple times and it wasn't bad. You do tend to fall into a routine at a resort, and you have to develop a new one if you change during your trip.

tnpoohbear
02-05-2010, 10:38 AM
We did this several years ago, we spent 3 nights first at the Grand Floridian and then 3 nights at POR. It was really nice and was not a problem at all. The day we were checking out of the GF we had our luggage packed and bell services picked them up. We went on to a park for the day and then later that afternoon we went to POR to check in and our luggage was already in our room.:mickey:

faline
02-05-2010, 11:07 AM
We've done it a couple of times and it is not our preferred way of vacationing. Personally, I prefer to settle into one place and stay there for the duration.

buzznwoodysmom
02-05-2010, 11:26 AM
We've done it serval times and its really not much of a hassel. We enjoy it because we get to experience more than one resort on those trips. Its given us the chance to stay at resorts we wouldn't have been able to stay at yet otherwise. For me it would depend on how many days total you'll be staying. I try to have at least 3-4 days at each resort. That way you get to enjoy each resort. However, we've stayed at one resort on our first night in WDW, then switched to the other resort for the remainder of the trip. That first night we just hang out at the resort, swim, eat at that resort's TS and fully enjoy the resort. We tend to spend a lot of time at our resorts so for us its worth it. Whatever you decide have a great time!

caryrae
02-06-2010, 01:01 PM
We did a split stay for the 1st time on our last trip and would easily do it again. We just made our switch day a lower key day with nothing specific to do. So we quickly packed up drove to the next Resort and checked in very quickly and got settled in, then just explored the Resort and then just spent some time at DtD with dinner at T-Rex. We did 4 days at CSR then 4 at POFQ. It was just a fun way to try out 2 places in one trip.

buzznwoodysmom
02-06-2010, 01:24 PM
I also wanted to add that by splitting our stays our trips somehow felt extended...almost like two seperate trips. This past Nov. we stayed 7 nights at BC then switched to the Poly for 3 nights. It really felt like two differnt trips. We'd done most of our park touring while at BC, so once we switched to the Poly we switched into low gear spending all our days at the resort and just went to the parks in the evening after dinner. It was a very relaxing way to end our trip.

JPL
02-06-2010, 04:15 PM
I have done a few split stays and have never had an issue with it. It was actually fun to stay in different resorts. I will sya this make sure the hotel goes up or stays on par and not down when you switch. I wnet from AKL to Pop and even though I enjoy Pop it was deinitely not even close in terms of service and amenities.

Mousemates
02-06-2010, 05:13 PM
We like split stays, but only when we are planning on being at WDW world for more than four or five nights...we probably spend less time in the parks and more time in the resorts or pursuing other recreational options than most folks and enjoy changing the scenery in mid trip (i.e having a new resort to explore, new pool to swim in, new restaurants to enjoy, etc). To us the mid trip change adds a bit of extra spark to our stay and keeps things fresh.

There is really nothing to the switch and getting resettled requires minimal effort. From the choices you offered, and if I was intent on making WL part of it-- I would do it first, since there is (to me) a definite step up from it to either the BC or Poly. (as others have mentioned, splits work best best if you finish at the nicer resort).

If I was choosing between BC and Poly i'd probably finish at the poly due to the special disney feel of the place and the convenience of the monorail.

PlutoPlanet
02-10-2010, 12:57 PM
We always do a split stay. We spend the bridge day at a park for the whole day. Our luggage always gets to our new hotel without a problem. The only tricky thing for us can be the dining plan since we have 2 separate "keys to the world."