PDA

View Full Version : January 23-30 Trip Report (Part

BluegrassDaisy
02-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Who: Myself, DH, DD23 & DD11
When: 1/23-1/30
Where: Beach Club Villa – 1BR
Why: To Celebrate DD23’s Graduation from College

Touring: The crowds were great and even though there seemed to be lots of people at times, we optimized our early morning hours and were able to do all of our favorites multiple times and gave several sets of fast passes away. I love doing this! One note, there were a LOT of tour groups from Brazil, this was in no way a problem for us – just an observation. There were a lot of teenagers in these groups and we enjoyed seeing them have a good time. With the exception of Monday we were at the parks for opening. We toured in this order:
Saturday: Epcot- some time in both FW & WS. We arrived around 1:00, so this was a ½ day.
Sunday: Epcot FW \Afternoon pool time \Evening MK for EMH
Monday: Sleep in\ Character Breakfast\ Epcot WS
Tuesday: MK\Evening at DTD
Wednesday: Studios\ Evening at MK
Thursday: AK\ Evening at Studios
Friday: MK\Afternoon Pool time for DD23 & DH, Studios for DD11 & myself\After dinner at Epcot for EMH & Shopping

One note about crowds, we planned to attend the 2nd showing of Fantasmic on Thursday evening. We had done this in October and arrived about 30 minutes prior to the show, got in and had fine seats with no problem. The schedule was similar that week, with Fantasmic being shown 2 nights with 2 shows both nights. WELL, on this night, we arrived at the Studios around 6:30, that’s when the 1st show started; we rode RnR and TOT, when we got off TOT, the 1st show was letting out, we saw an unbelievable number of people leaving the show. We decided to go ahead and get in line for the 8:00 show about 7:15, by this time, the line was about 6 people wide and nearly all the way down the street, I had never, in my many trips seen a crowd like this. A man with a huge backpack of camera equipment backed into DD23 and cut her nose! Of course, it was an accident and his wife was so apologetic, but that just shows how crazy things were. By the time we got to the theatre, guests were being directed to stand in the back. We were able to snag 4 seats near the back at the far end of the stadium and we greatly enjoyed the show. After we were able to avoid the line for the boat to BCV by walking to the resort by way of the of the Boardwalk. My daughter determined that there couldn’t have been anyone left in Brazil that night – they were all at DHS!

We had only one negative experience the entire week and it was rather strange. We were riding Astro Orbiter early on Friday morning. When we got off the elevator and went to board, the rockets were all full. DD & I showed the attendant that we had a card (they give you one for each rocket at the bottom before you go up); The CM checked and there was a family who was spread out – basically they didn’t have a card for each rocket. When the attendant told them they needed to double up, the mother went ballistic! She said she was told by the downstairs CM that her 7 year old could ride alone. Technically, this was true, but they didn’t get enough cards for the kids to ride alone. She gave the CM at the top a very hard way to go while we stood by watching. The poor little boy who had wanted to ride alone was embarrassed; he got out the rocket with his brother and said he wouldn’t ride. Seeing that, I told the CM that he could take our card and ride in our place. By this time the CM was angry and said no – she had called her manager and he would be there to work it out. This took about 10-15 minutes. It was really weird, my DD and I are standing here waiting, and everyone else is loaded and waiting, and waiting, and waiting. Finally the manager showed up and basically he let the kid ride while DD and I waited. The Manager apologized to us for the inconvenience and gave us a fast pass that we could use anywhere in the park anytime that day to help make up for our lost time. The annoying thing about the whole situation is that while my DD and I waited, the DAD of the family sat alone in a rocket and never even offered to let his son ride! So the mom/little girl rode, the 2 boys & the dad rode individually and my DD and I had to wait a round (DH & DD11 rode and then waited for us). I felt these parents were a terrible example to the kids. The mother thanked up profusely as they left - I was very tempted to ask just WHY one of them hadn’t given up their seat for their child rather than inconveniencing my family, but my DD is quite a peacemaker and she would have been mortified! Anyway, it slowed us down during our valuable early morning time, but mostly it was just strange. As it turned out, we didn't even use the FP.

New Things: The Sum of All Thrills in Innoventions was AWESOME. The girls and I did this twice. DH felt claustrophobic in the simulator and only went once. We also enjoyed the newly refurbed SM. We made an appointment for a family photo session at the BC. This was great and with the DVC member discount, it was very reasonable. It only took about an hour out of our day and we got some great shots. I had learned about this in October and planned ahead to do it this trip, I was very pleased with the results.

This was a wonderful family trip and we made memories that we will cherish always. I’m trying to figure out a way to use my AP & TIW card just one more time before they expire. Wish me luck and thanks for reading!:mickey:

KylesMom
02-02-2010, 11:55 PM
With the exception of a few strange moments, your family had a really good trip.

I really wish Disney management would realize that the Fantasmic crowds aren't going to go away and that they need to make it (the performances) more prevalent. If it hadn't rained like cats & dogs before our show in June, I think the crowds would have been out to the park entrance! We just happened to get lucky with the "pre-show rain", as at the time they didn't have an "express" entrance for the Fantasmic Dinner Package holders.

Thanks for sharing your family's special moments with us! :mickey:

SBETigg
02-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Weird about the Astro-Orbiter family. But what a great trip, with wonderful memories for your family.

fielin
02-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Great report !

Can you tell me more about the family photo session ? How much does it cost ? Where can I get more information ?

Thank you ! :)

BluegrassDaisy
02-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Here's the scoop. You schedule a private appointment with a photo pass photographer. I learned this from the PP photog at the Beach Club, the one near the boat dock, when I was there in the fall. They have a desk in the lobby of the BC, I went there to get the info and schedule the appt. There were several packages available, the best deal was $99 and included a cd with all the images as well as a choice of print packages, I don't remember specifically what they were, but the one I got was 5 5x7's, you could choose these from up to 5 poses. The flier said ask about the DVC discount - when I did, they said it was 20%! So I got the session (they schedule 20 minutes, but spent more like 30-40 with us); the cd and 5 5x7 prints for $79.95. They ask you to meet them at their desk about 15 minutes ahead of time, you can request specific locations in the resort for your photos, I knew I wanted some on the beach and in one of the public rooms in the villas, other than that, I left it up to the photographer. We did 5 or 6 different locations with several shots at each one. I think I ended up with around 70 shots on the cd. I didn't ask about the other locations, but I know they do them at some of the other resorts. I was happy with the results, with the only issue being the sun was still a little bright. We took the last appt of the day which was about 4:15, I wish we could have waited about another hour for a little better lighting. I can pm you a couple of the images is you like.

faline
02-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Great trip! Sorry about the Astro Orbiter experience! It's terrific that you were able to schedule pictures that will keep the memories alive for many years!

yjgirl32
02-04-2010, 11:46 AM
That is quite strange- unfortunately people sometimes don;t use their common sense or their manners. Thanks for sharing.

pdrlkr
02-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: