PDA

View Full Version : marathon/january

Rosemickey68
02-01-2010, 11:24 PM
We were planning on going the week before Christmas and also on marathon weekend as we are going to run in the marathon.
Now DH says why don't we just go the week of the marathon.
For those of you who have gone during this time. What do you think? How are the crowds with the marathon going on? I know the weather was unusual this January...how did that affect the parks?
I know refurbs are done during January...but hey they are done at different times during the year too...so I don't see that being a problem. I mean Space Mountain and The Hall of Presidents was closed when we were there in the summer.
Give me the good, bad and the ugly (if there is such a thing!)
Thanks!:mickey:

Strmchsr
02-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Well, Epcot was INSANE on marathon weekend. The rest of the parks were crowded that week, but not unbearable. Just a lot more than they used to be. This largely seemed to be due to a huge number of South American groups (mostly Brazilian) since this is their summer break. Lines stayed in the 15-20 min range for most things so, again, not too bad. The really cold weather this year seemed to impact the parks in that they cleared out early. Instead of staying until close most folks got there at opening but after dark a lot of people left.

Rosemickey68
02-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Forgot to ask! Which resort do you guys think is the best to stay in for the marathon?
We will have 6 people...so we have thought about staying at BLT..the whirlpool tub will probably be a blessing after the marathon! Is it better to stay at a monorail resort during this time???
Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks!:mickey:

A Big Kid
02-07-2010, 07:48 AM
The Best resort to stay for the marathon:

What is more important getting to the start or getting back to the resort after the run?

If getting to the start is important, look for an Epcot area resort. We stayed at the PO, which is close toe Epoct, yet it took almost 45 minutes in the bus to get there. I have never seen the traffic that bad for the marathon before. I would Imagine that the Poly would be best because you can walk to the TTC and catch the monorail from there.

If getting back to the resort is important, then I would stay at the Boardwalk, Y&B or Swan or Dolphin - in that order.

After finishing at Epoct, it is a short walk back to those hotels -which does wonders for moving the lactic acid out of your legs and reducing soreness.