PDA

View Full Version : Disney dining plan...worth it?

PS1211
02-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Okay, so we're deciding whether or not to do the DDP when we go in July this summer. I've looked at the brochure online, and I'm wondering...the "snack" that you get - can that be a breakfast item, like a bagel or cereal or something? Is a "snack" dictated by price or by the actual food item?

If that snack isn't something that can translate into a breakfast or small lunch, I'm not sure the plan is worth it. Any insight into the plan and it's value would be helpful. Thanks! :mickey:

dmallan
02-01-2010, 08:13 PM
You can certainly use the snack credit for breakfast items. They will let you use it for a small box of cereal and carton of milk. Other options are a muffin, bagel, oatmeal, yogurt parfait (this was $4.29 at POFQ and they still let me use a snack credit.

SBETigg
02-01-2010, 08:21 PM
If you typically have a table service and counter service meal daily, it might be worth it for you. We've used snack credits for breakfast items (like a cinnamon roll at Starring Rolls in Downtown Disney) or for a light lunch (shared chicken fried rice and spring rolls at Yak and Yet Counter Service, a snack credit each). There's a surprising number of things you can get for snack credits, and quite a few them can easily serve as breakfast on the go. Typically, it does go by price, with snack items being things costing about $4 or under.

biodtl
02-01-2010, 08:27 PM
I like the dining plan and think it's worth it. People often say it;s too much because it includes desserts, but we take them along to snack on later if we don't eat them.

but to be honest, my favorite thing about the dining plan is the fact that it is pre-paid - less cash flow worries when we are there.

PS1211
02-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Great! Thanks for the input! :)

ILoveMickey'77
02-01-2010, 08:40 PM
A snack is almost anything on property that is less than $4. We always stop at a bakery when entering a park and grab a pastry for breakfast. There is a bakery in every park and you can usually find something at the food courts in the resort as well.

DizneyRox
02-01-2010, 09:18 PM
I've never found the DDP to be of value.

Remember, in the summer, if you're like me anyway, you probably won't eat as much. We end up drinking a lot of water, and eating way less due to the heat. Many folks complain of the amount of food as well, and the July heat is not the weather to be walking around bloated in your fat pants.

To get value out of the plan, your TS really needs to be a good quality dinner. Breakfasts and lunches are not a good use if your credits.

It's possible to get value, but it's hard. You may ve better off going OOP

Seasonscraps
02-01-2010, 10:29 PM
You have to know what your dining preferences are and decide if the DDP meets those needs. The plan is not worth it if you have to change your dining preferences to meet the plan.

Do you want to be tied to your ADRs? DH & I make ADRs but without the plan we don't feel like we are losing money if we cancel one.

Do you want eat 2 desserts a day? After a two or three days, I couldn't stomach the idea of another dessert.

Would you want an appetizer? Will it bother you to pay extra for it?

You should also check out the menus in info central and see if there is an actual savings - prepaying for meals isn't worth it if you aren't going to save money.