PDA

View Full Version : Cuba advice

Julie_Mouse
01-31-2010, 12:31 PM
11 days until I leave for Cuba :joy:

We're going to Cayo Coco - which, from what I hear, is primarily a tourist area, and doesn't allow for much interaction with locals (except those working at the resorts). But we're probably going to spring for at least one trip into town, so I would welcome advice from any and all Cuba travellers on tipping, getting around, nightlife, and just general expectations. I've never been before, so any info appreciated.

Don't worry though, I know not to drink the water :D

CanadianWDWFan
01-31-2010, 12:43 PM
We visited Cayo Coco last April and LOVED it. There isn't much around the resorts that we saw. The closest town was quite a distance away. We never heard of any folks on our resort going into town. Though on the bus to the resort from the airport, the tour guide did say that day trips were available.

We just enjoyed all the resort had to offer and had a great time.

Enjoy your trip. Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

Scar
01-31-2010, 05:14 PM
You're not going to get a lot of responses from Americans as we are not "supposed" to spend money in Cuba.

I am a staunch anti-communist, but even I believe this is a stupid law.

Hammer
01-31-2010, 05:46 PM
You're not going to get a lot of responses from Americans as we are not "supposed" to spend money in Cuba.

I am a staunch anti-communist, but even I believe this is a stupid law.

Scar, we do have a nice size posting population from Canada, and they can travel to Cuba without any issues (note the original poster is Canadian and the other response is Canadian). It was surreal for me to see ads for all-inclusive resorts in Cuba while I was in Toronto like we see ads for Sandals and Beaches resorts here in the US.

CanadianWDWFan
01-31-2010, 08:55 PM
Which is why I replied.

Agree with the embargo or not, there are quite a few Americans travelling to Cuba, via Canada and the Caribbean, and lots of folks from Europe.

The Cuban people are truly wonderful, polite and very friendly and would go out of their way to talk to you. The gardener at our resort would make palm frond animals for our kids and never once asked for anything in return. Most of the Cubans we met spoke or tried to speak English with us. It was a very positive experience for my family.

Julie_Mouse
01-31-2010, 09:56 PM

Oops; that didn't occur to me until now!:oops: Regardless, thanks CanadianWDWFan, and hopefully some other Canadians will come along and share their experience :thumbsup:

WDWFan, if you don't mind me asking, where did you stay in Cayo Coco? We're travelling to the Blau Colonial Resort, but I think it's one of only about 5-6 resorts on Cayo Coco. Glad to hear your experience was good!

CanadianWDWFan
01-31-2010, 10:03 PM
We stayed at the NH Krystal Laguna, I had friends go the Blau Colonial Resort and they enjoyed their stay.

Go and enjoy your trip!

Scar
02-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Scar, we do have a nice size posting population from Canada, and they can travel to Cuba without any issues (note the original poster is Canadian and the other response is Canadian). It was surreal for me to see ads for all-inclusive resorts in Cuba while I was in Toronto like we see ads for Sandals and Beaches resorts here in the US.Yea, I know that Canadians can go there (and that some post here ;),) but I too think that would be wierd to see a comercial like that. Hmm... maybe I'll check out youtube...

The gardener at our resort would make palm frond animals for our kids and never once asked for anything in return.What the heck is a "palm frond animal"? :confused:

CanadianWDWFan
02-01-2010, 12:06 PM
What the heck is a "palm frond animal"? :confused:
Taking a piece of the palm frond they would weave an animal. My boys got birds and grasshoppers. Pretty neat, the boys still have them.

DisneyDog
02-03-2010, 06:08 PM
So, it's kind of like when the Mousekeeping staff makes animals out of towels?

CanadianWDWFan
02-03-2010, 09:45 PM
So, it's kind of like when the Mousekeeping staff makes animals out of towels?
I never though of it that way, but yeah it is!

Patricia
02-04-2010, 09:09 AM
We also have Cuban cigars in Canada.

Though I haven't been yet, I know lots of people that have traveled to Cuba.

My sister in law claims that there is no crime at the resorts. If you left something behind, it was always there when you returned. Her beachside hut had no windows or door locks.. they loved it! They brought us back a toy turtle some kids had made out of coconut shells and a thread spool.

I have quite a few friends American and Canadian that have also been and claim it's the people that make the experience so wonderful. So, you might want to try and get into a town and experience a little of the culture.

There are not a lot of snack foods we are used to so bring your own if you like that kind of thing.

:thumbsup:

murphy1
02-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Being from Florida, I soooo want to go to Cuba someday!! I LOVE Cuban food (we had some good places where I lived), so I highly recommend it! It is fantastic! I'm jealous!