PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky State Report

julyjewel
01-31-2010, 09:39 AM
My daughter chose Kentucky as her state project. I wanted to know if any of you knew of some type of food Knetucky would be known for. She has to make a food to share with ehr clas. Thanks.

Scar
01-31-2010, 11:22 AM
I can only think of Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Does she need to bring a drink too. They're famous for Bourbon.

bcornette
01-31-2010, 11:34 AM
Kentucky Hot Brown. It's a sandwich created by a chef from th Brown hotel in Louisville back in the 20's or 30's.
I always thought it had brown gravy on it because of the name but it does not.

ftwildernesskid
01-31-2010, 11:45 AM
I am from Kentucky, born in Louisville, and living in a county about 20 minutes from Louisville now. As the last poster mentioned, the Hot Brown is a Louisville dish...exquisitely delicious made out of toast, country ham, bacon, tomatoes, and mornay sauce. Also, is Kentucky burgoo..a cross between a soup and a stew with lots of different variations...u could probably look up a recipe. I also believe the first cheeseburger was made here in Louisville at a place called Kaelins. Kentucky is a Southern state at heart and therefore Kentuckians love southern cooking...fried chicken, mashed potatoes, greens, gravy, biscuits... Colonel Sanders wife, Claudia, opened up her own restaurant in Shelbyville, Ky, serving that type of Southern fare.
Hope this is helpful!!! Good luck on the report!

birdsell
01-31-2010, 12:47 PM
I love making hot browns. An easy variation - use melted velveeta and cheese soup as the sauce.

For the Teacher's Lounge: Mint Julep, anyone?

julyjewel
01-31-2010, 08:07 PM
Thanks everyone..the Hot Brown it is! Thanks!

julyjewel
01-31-2010, 08:07 PM
What is mornay sauce? A cheese sauce?