PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about SWA Ticketless Funds...

tgmousechick
01-30-2010, 04:19 PM
I got the go-ahead from DH to take DD down to The World for Memorial Day weekend. I have travel funds leftover from his brother's wedding last year.

Here's the problem- my plan was to fly down 5/28 and return 5/31.

The funds have an expiration date of 5/26/10.

Am I in a no-win battle here? Leaving on the 26th is NOT an option- we can't do 2 extra days hotel-wise, park ticket wise, or school/work-wise.

sassafras
01-30-2010, 04:54 PM
My guess is you probably have a no-win situation. I too have ticketless funds with SWA and was told I had to use them within 1 year from the original day I purchased them. I've been trying to find someone in my family who would like to go anywhere to use them, so SWA doesn't get to keep the credit. I guess you could call SWA and explain your situation, not sure it would do any good, but it's worth a try.

jray21
01-30-2010, 05:21 PM
I had the same problem and I called and SW said that I have to wait for them to expire, call in, and they will reinstate them. Other people I have talked to have said the same thing. The problem for you is, it expires right when you need it. Just give them a call. SW is a lot more customer service oriented than most other airlines. Good Luck!

DisneyDadfromPittsburgh
01-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Let us know if you do call and request an extension what they say. Could be good help for those of us that are in the same situation.

megustamex
01-30-2010, 07:26 PM
I seem to remember that there was a deadline for reinstating, either the day it expired or something? Call and make sure! Also, there is some fee involved but I don't think it was that much.

Gregandmel
01-31-2010, 09:25 AM
Last year we had about $100 in ticketless funds left from changing our flight. I couldn't use them, so gave it away to a co-worker. I would definitely call SW to get some guidance on what to do. Hate to see "free money" go to waste. My only concern would be if you have to wait until 5/26 to re-instate the credit, and you are leaving on 5/28.....you might run into problems booking a flight on such short notice especially if it's around Memorial Day. However I'm not looking at a calendar right now so not sure if that is the weekend or not. Never hurts to call though. Good luck to you!!

ThanxForNoticin
01-31-2010, 12:32 PM
As previously stated, definitely call SW for details. I believe there is a $50 fee to extend the credit funds for an extra year.

tgmousechick
02-01-2010, 01:33 PM
I called SWA this morning, and as expected, they can't extend funds until they expire. They suggested moving my travel date up to before the 26th, or to transfer them to someone else.

So, I've placed an ad on my local Craig's List to see if someone will buy them from me, and at least I might be able to recover some of it. To avoid scams, i'm taking cash or money order only- hopefully, that will do the trick.

Thanks for the heads up, everyone! It's nice to have an idea of what to expect, and that way I don't lose my temper with the CS rep on the phone. :)