PDA

View Full Version : Planning for Post-Op Trip

Meteora
01-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Hi everyone,

We planned our spring break trip (due to begin March 27th) about a year ago. My dad had surgery earlier this week for a very early stage of colon cancer, and hopefully won't need any other treatment, pending his test results (crosses fingers). The doctors have put his recovery timeframe at 4-6 weeks, during which he is basically just supposed to lie down and do pretty much nothing. He and my mom have canceled their February trip, but he is totally determined to make our March trip and is using it as a goal to get better.

So now I'm trying to prepare for the trip under the assumption that he is going to probably be on the weaker side. I KNOW I won't be able to convince him to use a scooter or wheelchair--he's one of those people who refuses to take pain medication when he's in great pain or go to the doctor for a tetanus shot after stepping on a nail. He's impossible like that. It's just not going to happen. But I also know it's probably going to be difficult for him to stand in long lines or to walk quickly around the park. Since we're going during Easter week, an ultra-busy time, we had been planning on moving fast and efficiently, and obviously...maybe not so much now. He was only planning on doing two world days, so the whole vacation won't be strenuous. But does anyone have any advice about the best way to make sure dad gets to do everything he wants? His favorite is the Nemo musical, and I'm a little concerned because during that time the lines will be huge and I don't know if he can do a 45 minute line to get into the theater. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Madame Leona
01-30-2010, 12:40 PM
I know it will be difficult but just go at your dad's pace and rest when he needs to. When my dad made his final trip to Disney, he had bone cancer and pneumonia. He surprised us all and did really great. He was like your dad and never took pain medication and never said stop. Your dad will surprise you and rise to the occasion, I'm sure. :pixie: for a speedy recovery and a great vacation.

Disney4us2
01-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Would he consider using a rollator (walker with wheels)? It also has a seat so he can sit in the lines.

I know what you mean though about a scooter/wheel chair. My almost 90 yo father refuses to use my rollator for walking. He is on the vain side.

Good luck and good wishes for your father's speedy recovery. Have a great trip.:mickey:

ElenitaB
01-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Whether he uses some form of walking assistance (and I do hope he does), there are some things to keep in mind for a post-op trip:

hydration — important for anyone but particularly important for a person recovering from surgery
sun protection — while he may not be taking meds (though he just may be on some kind of medication depending on the results of the surgery), keep in mind that meds may have your sensitivity to the sun. Nothing like an unexpected bad sunburn to throw a wrench into your vacation.
rest — a rest break is important; you might want to frame it as "the kids need a break."

Depending on how he's feeling by the time the trip rolls around, you may consider getting a GAC (Guest Assistance Card) for him. There are special areas of the theatre where the Nemo show is presented in AK, for guests with special needs. You will need to wait on the line though.

Prayers and :pixie: for a speedy recovery and good test results!

peemagg
01-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Would he carry a cane with a seat on it? This would at least allow him to sit for a minute or two.

Meteora
01-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the tips. A rollator actually seems like a good idea, if we can just convince him to use one. (eyeroll) That way he could just sit down if we had to wait. But I don't know if he'll go for it. My dad is still fairly young and VERY macho, so...yeah, you can imagine. We'll see, I guess. Where would we get one, if he does decide he wants to use it?

Disney4us2
01-31-2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the tips. A rollator actually seems like a good idea, if we can just convince him to use one. (eyeroll) That way he could just sit down if we had to wait. But I don't know if he'll go for it. My dad is still fairly young and VERY macho, so...yeah, you can imagine. We'll see, I guess. Where would we get one, if he does decide he wants to use it?

I got mine at Walmart. It was around $100. I am still young (at heart) at the age of YIKES 55.

I still have trouble convincing my almost 90 yo father to use it when he has a long walk. He does the Tim Conway shuffle (if you remember the Carol Burnet show). :bang: I just don't understand him, it would be easier for him. He just says:nono: I don't need it. It is sure hard raising parents.

ElenitaB
01-31-2010, 04:09 PM
You can find rollators on eBay, at the major drugstore chains, Costco and unexpectedly at QVC.

Good luck!