PDA

View Full Version : Are We Crazy??

javamama
01-29-2010, 11:41 PM
So we decided on our dates and resort....but now we want to add a day...normal right? But here's the kicker......the day we want to add is the day after my sisters wedding!! We'd have to fly out late morning, with our two kids connect in ATL, and get in late afternoon. I'm thinking we'll be exhusted, the kids are leaving the reception early around 10pm(it ends at 12) my sitter is taking them home to my parents to put them to bed. The wedding is at 1pm, so we have to do hair around 9am then pics at 11am, church 1230, and then the ceremony. The kids will try to nap after church before the reception. We're crazy right to try to cram this in? We kinda think so:confused: We can't add it in on the tail end, dh has to go back to work and can't switch it, plus it's a Sunday and flying stby is horrible usually then for a family of 4 out of MCO and ATL going is easier for some reason.

BigRedDad
01-30-2010, 06:24 AM
We got married shortly after 9/11. Our wedding was at 4PM. Due to flight changes, limited flights, this and that caused by 9/11. I went through 2 weeks of pain to get our flight plans. We were supposed to fly out at 9AM. A Delta rep called and told us of the change because our flight was removed. They put us on an 8PM flight. I talked with the rep and she had the hardest time because they had to deal with this on a daily basis. I explained it was the start of our honeymoon and the flight had been booked for 10 months already. Well, back and forth we went. I argued that they could put us in 1st class on the flight closest to our original time since it was available or they can put us on the 11PM flight the night of our wedding.

In the end, they finally caved in and gave us the early morning flight at 6AM. With the regulations at the time, if you weren't there 3 hours early, they could hold you from boarding. We got to our hotel after the wedding at 11PM, up at 2AM, and at the airport at 3AM. Security took a whopping 5 minutes. We slept at the airport from 3:30AM to about 5:30AM.

I say don't worry about it. Just do it and go. Kids can sleep on the plane. The only kicker is whether getting in late afternoon will be "worth" the extra day. The room at BLT has to run about $250+ a night. Is that worth taking a good rest that afternoon and night to be ready bright and early the next morning?

JenniferS.
01-30-2010, 07:47 AM
How old are the kids? I'm sure they will sleep on the plane. Do you think me and dh are crazy? We are taking 4 kids in 2011. They will be 3, 5, 8 and 8. It will be interesting. Just do it, you only live once!!

javamama
01-30-2010, 09:42 PM
Big Red-Did we upgrade you? I can remember after 9/11 the horrible lines at the checkpoints, almost out the doors at O'hare. My problem is my ds is 6 so he can nonrev in first class w/my dh, my dd is 3 so she's stuck in coach w/me(my dh is 6'2 so if they're 1st class I usually give it to him, I'm 5'1 I fit better in coach) so we'll be split up which may work out better if they have a few seats up front and a few in back of the bus! This is our first time going stby as a family---the loads are down though now, and with kids being in school still we picked this time to travel. I say we try too, thanks!

Jennifer-my g/f just got back on the 5th w/her kiddos 2/3/and 5 yo twins all boys so your in the same boat as her. They froze though, hope you get better weather than she did and her kids are scared of characters, they hid at Ohana's under the tables(the babies at least!!)
Mine usually doze on the plane, they play they're leapsters, watch dvds, eat, yell across the aisle at each other.

Thanks guys!
T