PDA

View Full Version : Writing a check for room charges

Iluvpooh
01-29-2010, 06:43 PM
I always charge everything to my room and write a check at checkout. (No, I don't have a debit card-long story)
Anyway, I was at the Disney Store today and they have stop accepting checks. That made me wonder if there had been a change at WDW too. Does anyone know? I had rather not carry down that much cash and I don't want to charge it to a CC if I don't have to. Thanks guys!

Strmchsr
01-29-2010, 07:22 PM
I heard one of the stores at DTD say they no longer accepted checks, but don't know about the resorts.

mouseketeer mom
01-29-2010, 08:05 PM
I have always written checks at the Poly. They always go through a process of calling it in and getting approval before they accept it though.

Buttercup
01-29-2010, 08:35 PM
People still use checks? LOL :D
Just kidding. They're so rarely used in Canada anymore, it surprised me that they were still used so much in the States.
Up here, we call 'em "Cheques" just to be fancy. :silly:

PharmD
01-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Hey Iluvpooh,

You have to have a credit card listed on your room in order to be able to charge to your room. I know that to even pay for your room with a check when you check in they will verify that your account has enough to cover it before they will let you check in. I can remember when you could pay for your room as you were checking out with a check. They must have had people stiff them before so that they no longer do that. They have been doing it this way for a while. If you wanted to make absolutely sure you could call them.

DVC2004
01-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Maybe you could get one of those pre-paid debit card things before you go? They sell at grocery stores and pharmacy chains. They won't let you charge to a room without a plastic card. You should contact the resort directly to ask how it works before you go.:thumbsup: Or, bring cash or travellers checks and don't use room charge.

Iluvpooh
01-29-2010, 10:15 PM
I think I may not have been clear in what I was asking in my original post. I always put a card down, but opt to pay by check. I have done this for every trip since I've been married.(12) I do have the "room" on my CC for the charges, but I just prefer to write a check because so few places take them so I like to save what little cash I take for gas and extras for the trip down and home. I will put a card on the room, but I do not do express checkout. What I was wondering is if I needed to be prepared to pay with a CC or to purchase a pre-paid card BEFORE I go. I just didn't want to get ready to checkout and be hit with the surprise of not being able to pay by check.
Thanks for the responses-I guess I will call Disney tomorrow to double check. I have just found that INTERCOTEES can usually answer any questions I may have better than most Disney employees.:thumbsup:

TheRustyScupper
01-29-2010, 11:58 PM
Yes, you can pay for rooms or room charges by check.
. . . go to Front Desk or Concierge Desk
. .. write the check for exact amount (no cash given back)
. . . you must show a valid driver's license
. . . they call a third party (eg. Telecheck)
. . . the third party approves the check

NOTE: They do not verify funds at the bank. The third party gets a fee from Disney for guaranteeing the check, but is also on the hook for bounced checks.

divinedi
02-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Just curious, couldn't you just put the charges on your CC and then when you get home, just go and pay off the CC right away at your bank or whatever financial institute you use? It would then be paid off right away, no interest charges, and you wouldn't have to worry about cash or traveller's cheques or anything like that while you are on vacation? This way you could use the express check out as well and not have to worry about them refusing or having to verify your cheque. Just an option.

#1donaldfan
02-01-2010, 01:24 PM
...what about paying the balance with traverlers "Cheques" ??? no cash involved...just estimate what you think you may spend and get that amount before leaving....??:mickey:

CleveRocks
02-01-2010, 02:13 PM
You have to have a credit card listed on your room in order to be able to charge to your room.
The statement quoted above is not true. There is absolutely no requirement that you present a credit card in order to set up a room charge.

You can set up a room charge with cash, Disney Dollars, Disney gift cards, travelers checks, a debit card (with VISA or MC logo) or a credit card.

But let me be 100% clear on this ... a credit card is NOT required to set up a room charge.