PDA

View Full Version : Is Brett Farve playing next season

RAIDER
01-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Sorry
You guys have got your ears closer to the ground than us across the pond ..

But is Farve returning to the Vikings next season ?

Ms. Mode
01-29-2010, 09:39 AM
I hope not! One can only sit through so many press conferences where a person retires :)

Scar
01-29-2010, 09:48 AM
No... wait yes... no, I don't think so.... well maybe.

gueli
01-29-2010, 10:04 AM
I expect that the answer will be yes. But do not expect him to be in camp, or at least not until the end, and it might even be after he "retires" again...
but thats me...
:mickey:

Nascfan
01-29-2010, 10:23 AM
When is Week 1 of next season? I predict we will all know by that week whether he is returning or not. In between he will probably retire and un-retire approximately 45 times. :rolleyes:

Pagan
01-29-2010, 10:24 AM
I'll be waiting with baited breath to find out if...if...zzzzzzzzz...

caryrae
01-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Being a Vikings fan I hope he does return. People may not like him but he made our season pretty exciting even though we didn't go to the Superbowl. Not sure what our season would have been like if he wasn't here and Jackson was the Quarterback.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
01-29-2010, 11:07 AM
He won't be at any OTA's; will decide one week before camp, maybe.
Probably with Vikings, or at least with another division team (Bears or Lions). He has this personal vendetta with Ted Thompson.

Afterall, it's all about Brett. There are some pretty good radio takes. Fran Tarkenton ripped him a new one, and the play by play of his interception brought back dark Packer memories...

To answer your question: yes, no, yes, no, yes, no....

BigRedDad
01-29-2010, 12:07 PM
At almost $1M per game and getting as close as they did to the Super Bowl, he is coming back. He did not get hit around most the season like he did in the NFC Championship game. He actually had fun playing this season and it had been a long time since that happened for him.

magicofdisney
01-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Most definitely, maybe.

Greenlawler
01-29-2010, 01:33 PM
He won't be at any OTA's; will decide one week before camp, maybe.
Probably with Vikings, or at least with another division team (Bears or Lions). He has this personal vendetta with Ted Thompson.

Afterall, it's all about Brett. There are some pretty good radio takes. Fran Tarkenton ripped him a new one, and the play by play of his interception brought back dark Packer memories...

To answer your question: yes, no, yes, no, yes, no....

Personally while I hate what happened between him and the Packers, I still like Brett and will never ever forget the 96 season. After 25+ years of mediocre teams in Green Bay, it was Brett and Reggie who ended my pain. I get a little annoyed at the Brett haters out there. I have since taken my green and gold glasses off and realized there are two sides to every story.

Go ahead hate on Brett but it will not change the fact that he won the division for the Vikes.
Nor will it change the fact that the Packers have a great future with Rodgers.

It is not Farve's fault that he is having a hard time walking away. It is the media's fault for covering it.

Move on....find a new foil...like Peyton Manning :thedolls:

Anyways Go Titans, Go Saints (at least next weekend) and Go Pack Go. Although my loyalty had to change when the Titans came to town I still own stock in and love the Pack....But also go Brett I hope you win another one.

JPL
01-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Personally I really don't care! I just want him to make a decision and not have the giant media circus if he does come back

Melanie
01-29-2010, 02:22 PM
It is not Farve's fault that he is having a hard time walking away. It is the media's fault for covering it.

Here here!!!!:thumbsup:

bucky at disney
01-29-2010, 03:18 PM
You will have to wait until at least the 1st game of the regular season to know. And even then he might change his mind.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
01-29-2010, 03:36 PM
There are a couple of retired Packers who played on the super bowl teams with Favre. They do not have very nice things to say about him as a teammate. All did agree that Favre was given a free pass by fans because the Packers were winning in spite of his 15-20 interceptions a season. During the run with Reggie White and company, the Packers had possibly one of the best defenses of all time. I was a huge Favre fan, but grew extremely sick of his on and off-field behavior.

Aaron Rodgers is doing and saying the right things, putting in the time necessary to succeed, and did set an nfl record this season (first qb to record 4000 yards in first 2 seasons as a starter).

Not to take anything away from Favre, he is statistically the best qb ever. Right now he is in the same group as all of the other 1-time super bowl winners...

Greenlawler
01-29-2010, 03:47 PM
There are a couple of retired Packers who played on the super bowl teams with Favre. They do not have very nice things to say about him as a teammate. All did agree that Favre was given a free pass by fans because the Packers were winning in spite of his 15-20 interceptions a season. During the run with Reggie White and company, the Packers had possibly one of the best defenses of all time. I was a huge Favre fan, but grew extremely sick of his on and off-field behavior.

Aaron Rodgers is doing and saying the right things, putting in the time necessary to succeed, and did set an nfl record this season (first qb to record 4000 yards in first 2 seasons as a starter).

Not to take anything away from Favre, he is statistically the best qb ever. Right now he is in the same group as all of the other 1-time super bowl winners...

I bet Dan Marino would like to be a one time Super Bowl winner....along with thousands of other NFL players.

Ian
01-29-2010, 05:56 PM
I'll bet anything he pulls the exact same garbage on the Vikings that he pulled on the Packers.

But I really hope the Vikes don't wait and just go out and get another QB to stick it to him. I'm tired of his act.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
01-29-2010, 09:13 PM
One big difference between the Packers and Vikings is that Childress was Favre's driver when he got to Minnesota. GB sent a vehicle to the airport to pick him up. I don't see too many other coaches who would be a lackey in that manner..
I agree there are thousands of other qb's who would love to be one time winners in the SB..but there are also mediocre qb's who have won.
I don't think the word "integrity" is in Favre's dictionary...the first letter (I) is for sure...;)

Greenlawler
01-30-2010, 12:53 AM
One big difference between the Packers and Vikings is that Childress was Favre's driver when he got to Minnesota. GB sent a vehicle to the airport to pick him up. I don't see too many other coaches who would be a lackey in that manner..
I agree there are thousands of other qb's who would love to be one time winners in the SB..but there are also mediocre qb's who have won.
I don't think the word "integrity" is in Favre's dictionary...the first letter (I) is for sure...;)

I understand your ill will toward Brett, but I would assume you do not know him personally neither do I. However I have a hard time when people slam atheletes for lack of integrity when they have no knowledge of their personal life or only depend on the words of others for their knowledge.
As for your comments about the Super Bowl. While there are certainly some average quaterbacks who have piloted teams to victory these are the definate minority.
Brett will always have his Super Bowl moment no matter what the Packer nation feels, you nor anyone can never take that away. I will always cherish that moment
I think Packer nation will be better served to move on and just be happy with the future.

sportsguy2315
01-30-2010, 11:35 AM
But I really hope the Vikes don't wait and just go out and get another QB to stick it to him. I'm tired of his act.

Here's the thing for this offseason (In my opinion); the Vikes would like another QB, but it's slim pickings this year: the only free agent QB I would even consider looking at would be Orton, but he's restricted and as much as I like Cincy's Tony Pike, I think it'd be a reach to get him in the 1st or maybe even 2nd round. Pat Williams might hang it up, so I instead see the Vikes using one of their high round picks to pick up a defensive lineman.

RAIDER
01-31-2010, 01:59 AM
Thanks to you all ...:thumbsup:
I didnt realise it was going to be a "Here we go situation" all over again :thumbsup:

Scar
01-31-2010, 05:05 PM
I didnt realise it was going to be a "Here we go situation" all over again :thumbsup:You do realize that we are talking about Brett Farve... oh yea, of course you do, you started the thread. ;)

He does this every year, why would you think this year would be any different?

RAIDER
02-01-2010, 07:53 AM
You do realize that we are talking about Brett Farve... oh yea, of course you do, you started the thread. ;)

He does this every year, why would you think this year would be any different?

Scar there are many things i dont understand about the NFL ..

Such as how the winning team of the superbowl calls themselves World Champions when only american teams play ?? :confused: :D ;)

On the Farve issue
I didnt know what sort of contract he was on.
And if was only on a one season contract but decided to carry on did the Vikings have first choice on making him an offer etc :thumbsup:

Scar
02-01-2010, 10:11 AM

Such as how the winning team of the superbowl calls themselves World Champions when only american teams play ?? :confused: :D ;)

On the Farve issue
And if was only on a one season contract but decided to carry on did the Vikings have first choice on making him an offer etc :thumbsup:Ask anything you want. Glad to help.

Honestly, over here I don't think I've ever heard anyone use the term "World Champions" in Football. It's always "Super Bowl Champions".

Favre had a 2-year contract for $12M this past season and $13M for next. If he plays, he can only play for Minn unless they release him or trade him. If he had only signed a 1-year contract, then he would have been a unrestricted free agent and he could have signed with any team.

indytraveler
02-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Favre should be retiring here soon.... Only to have the media come to him in June when Favre leaks the story he may come back again. Media circus for 2 weeks, followed by a I'm done speech. Only to come back during the last 2 weeks of training camp and be the starting QB on opening day.

Favre will play next year for the Vikings.

RAIDER
02-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Ask anything you want. Glad to help.

Honestly, over here I don't think I've ever heard anyone use the term "World Champions" in Football. It's always "Super Bowl Champions".

Favre had a 2-year contract for $12M this past season and $13M for next. If he plays, he can only play for Minn unless they release him or trade him. If he had only signed a 1-year contract, then he would have been a unrestricted free agent and he could have signed with any team.

Scar
Ive heard the teams when they have won say they are "World Champions " infact i ve heard it or read it on threads when various teams have won the superbowl over the years here .
Ive heard the term World Champions with the NBA as well
I understand about the baseball one ( world series as it was a newspaper i believe)
But honestly back in UK -Europe its one of those things weve never understood when we hear that term with the NFL and NBA with pnly American teams involved ( am not sure if its the same with the ice hockey ?.
But it keeps us Brits amused :)

Am still trying to work out your college football seedings for the various bowls but i have given up :)

Thanks for the Farve info ..This is so much more complicated compared to our soccer contracts :thumbsup:

magicofdisney
02-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Am still trying to work out your college football seedings for the various bowls but i have given up :)
There is no rhyme or reason for college bowl games.

Scar
02-01-2010, 01:54 PM
There is no rhyme or reason for college bowl games.Sure there is... money.

Greenlawler
02-01-2010, 03:05 PM

On the Farve issue
And if was only on a one season contract but decided to carry on did the Vikings have first choice on making him an offer etc :thumbsup:

As far as the world champion issue.....it does seem rather arrogent, but honestly is there a higher level American Football league in the world than the NFL? I have heard the term associated with the Super Bowl as long as i can remember.Another point is that any one from any nation can play in the league.
A far as the NBA well, oonce again it is the world's predominant basketball league and the worlds best players are there. You do not here MLS players calling themselves world champs becuase the same cannot be said about there league. Make sense?

Melanie
02-01-2010, 07:15 PM
I understand about the baseball one ( world series as it was a newspaper i believe)

And baseball is the least understood for me, as the Japanese could probably take a series from us 3 out of 4 times.

Greenlawler
02-02-2010, 01:03 AM
And baseball is the least understood for me, as the Japanese could probably take a series from us 3 out of 4 times.

I disagree with that...respectfully :). It is not a them vs us situation. The MLB is comprised of men from all over the world and there is a huge Central American contingant. Remember when the nations compete they are made of men from MLB rosters...meaning most of the talented players are in the MLB. Therefore the MLB is in reality a world championship becuase it features the best players from around the world, what color jerseys they wear has nothing to do with it....MLB championship teams are comprised of men from all walks of life and countries. The teams of today are made up of men from the Dominican, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Japan, etc...and many of those ARE the elite players in the world. Again much like when an American soccer player excels in his sport he plays in Europe, because that is where the money is for a soccer player....which can boast the best Soccer teams in the world. The money for the best Basketballers, Football (American), and Baseball players is here. A Japanese player can make soo much more money here which is why many of their biggest stars now play in the MLB. No slight at Japan but there teams are not on the MLB level, just as our MLS sqauds teams cannot hold a candle to other coutries internationally.

RAIDER
02-02-2010, 03:41 AM
As far as the world champion issue.....it does seem rather arrogent, but honestly is there a higher level American Football league in the world than the NFL? I have heard the term associated with the Super Bowl as long as i can remember.Another point is that any one from any nation can play in the league.

Greenlawler .. I have to pull your leg on this one in the most friendliest of terms and in good humour :beer::D ;)

Yes i do see your point in a way about no higher level ...
However the giveaway is the word NATIONAL which means in essence " A whole country " rather than world . Yes a i agree the NFL and college teams are far ahead of Europe in american football ....
But the funny thing we have always found is that you have
Divisional Winners ,Conference and then a mega jump to World Champions ;)

I mean a if we had a team called the London Lions ,we wouldnt be able to join the NFL ?
As its a National League ...
Thus the superbowl winners /NBA should call themselves American Champions ...

However please dont change it ..
We love our chuckle from across the pond ( again this is writtern in good humour mate ) :thumbsup:

gueli
02-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Greenlawler .. I have to pull your leg on this one in the most friendliest of terms and in good humour :beer::D ;)

Yes i do see your point in a way about no higher level ...
However the giveaway is the word NATIONAL which means in essence " A whole country " rather than world . Yes a i agree the NFL and college teams are far ahead of Europe in american football ....
But the funny thing we have always found is that you have
Divisional Winners ,Conference and then a mega jump to World Champions ;)
I mean a if we had a team called the London Lions ,we wouldnt be able to join the NFL ?
As its a National League ...
Thus the superbowl winners /NBA should call themselves American Champions ...
However please dont change it ..
We love our chuckle from across the pond ( again this is writtern in good humour mate ) :thumbsup:

They did try an NFL europe...I did not think it garnered much attention or captured the hearts of many europeans.
Now I did hear an interesting quote from a rugby player- and this is my understanding of it, as it was many years ago. For this rugby player- tried playing american style footbal and discovered one thing, the pads the players wore did not protect one from the pain, but rather spread the hit out over the entire area, it would appear that this rugby player had thought the pads were like suits of armor. As he experienced a full hard hitting game, he basically said he gained a new respect for american football, and it was really hard.

With that said, please start a league, crown a champion & challenge the reigning world champion, or even have a deal to put your #1 team up against our #1 team- may the best team win.

As there are no other professional 'american' football players (oh please, get a bunch of soccer players to don the pads :D) in the world, it is justified that the NFL champions call themselves the WORLD champions.

side note- you are reading waayy to much into the National Football League. the national part does not imply that it is regulated by our nation - just as a company called National Garbage Removal is just a company with a name- the NFL is a corporation. At one time there was another football corporation called the American Football League (or AFL), and the 2 companies merged.

By the way, is the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) owned by the Govt of the United Kingdom (or is that great briton - hey how come they get to call themselves Great ? Is there a Minor briton ?) :D

:thumbsup:

Greenlawler
02-02-2010, 11:59 AM
You are also missing the whole point.....when the best players from around the world are concentrated in one sport it IS a world championship. It does not matter what color they wear, or what city they live in.

RAIDER
02-02-2010, 12:00 PM
They did try an NFL europe...I did not think it garnered much attention or captured the hearts of many europeans.
Now I did hear an interesting quote from a rugby player- and this is my understanding of it, as it was many years ago. For this rugby player- tried playing american style footbal and discovered one thing, the pads the players wore did not protect one from the pain, but rather spread the hit out over the entire area, it would appear that this rugby player had thought the pads were like suits of armor. As he experienced a full hard hitting game, he basically said he gained a new respect for american football, and it was really hard.

With that said, please start a league, crown a champion & challenge the reigning world champion, or even have a deal to put your #1 team up against our #1 team- may the best team win.

As there are no other professional 'american' football players (oh please, get a bunch of soccer players to don the pads :D) in the world, it is justified that the NFL champions call themselves the WORLD champions.

side note- you are reading waayy to much into the National Football League. the national part does not imply that it is regulated by our nation - just as a company called National Garbage Removal is just a company with a name- the NFL is a corporation. At one time there was another football corporation called the American Football League (or AFL), and the 2 companies merged.

By the way, is the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) owned by the Govt of the United Kingdom (or is that great briton - hey how come they get to call themselves Great ? Is there a Minor briton ?) :D

Gueli
My reply was a leg pull just like yours :D

So ...yes we were GREAT once when we used to run the world before the USA did ;)

Which Rugby player was that i would love to know ... There was once a thread here about who was fitter a Rugby Player or American football player a year or so back ..It was one of the funniest threads i have ever been involved in... :D ( i wont start it up again )

The National was a total wind up .... You know deep in your heart you cant defend the term " World Champions " when its only american teams playing ;)

Seriously though
NFL Europe was a farce . When we had the London Monarchs and it was being played at Wembley Stadium . The mistake they made was to charge over the top prices when they should have charged cheap prices to get rear ends on seats to gather support .

We get live games shown back in the UK and it has a massive following as you can now see when your various teams come over to play each year . :beer:

Greenlawler
02-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Raider wrote.,..
"The National was a total wind up .... You know deep in your heart you cant defend the term " World Champions " when its only american teams playing"

:bang: :)

I can and I did.

Last time slowly....American locations but....players from all over the world= WORLD CHAMPIONS. I cheer for players not laundry.

Scar
02-02-2010, 01:32 PM
So ...yes we were GREAT once when we used to run the world before the USA did ;) Oh yea, that reminds me. I'm not sure if we ever thanked you or not, but, thanks for gettin' us started. :thumbsup:

RAIDER
02-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Raider wrote.,..
"The National was a total wind up .... You know deep in your heart you cant defend the term " World Champions " when its only american teams playing"

:bang: :)

I can and I did.

Last time slowly....American locations but....players from all over the world= WORLD CHAMPIONS. I cheer for players not laundry.

Greenlawler
Lets agree to disagree on this one :hug:. We find it a quirk across the pond thats all :beer:

Yes i see your point in a way about American teams with players all over the world = WORLD CHAMPIONS

However on your logic

In Europe our soccer club teams have players from all over the world in our domestic cups /trophies but we dont call the Winners World Champions ? :D are we doing something wrong ? lol :D;)

RAIDER
02-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Oh yea, that reminds me. I'm not sure if we ever thanked you or not, but, thanks for gettin' us started. :thumbsup:

Scar if your into soccer i am so looking forward to the soccer world cup when England play you
i think the banter is going to be brilliant :beer::beer:

Greenlawler
02-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Greenlawler
Lets agree to disagree on this one :hug:. We find it a quirk across the pond thats all :beer:

Yes i see your point in a way about American teams with players all over the world = WORLD CHAMPIONS

However on your logic

In Europe our soccer club teams have players from all over the world in our domestic cups /trophies but we dont call the Winners World Champions ? :D are we doing something wrong ? lol :D;)

:thumbsup: Agreed to let you have your chuckles, after all with your dismal weather, by comparrison, you need something to brighten your days.

Scar
02-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Scar if your into soccer i am so looking forward to the soccer world cup when England play you
i think the banter is going to be brilliant :beer::beer:I am somewhat. After Baseball and American Football, I just don't have the time to dedicate myself to watching much other sports. But, during The World Cup (and some qualifying) I love watching and rooting for Team USA. I do find "Your Football" to be a tremendous sport. Better than Hockey or Basketball (but not as good as Curling. ;))

1950 Mate!

In Europe our soccer club teams have players from all over the world in our domestic cups /trophies but we dont call the Winners World Champions ? :D are we doing something wrong ? lol :D;)I think the difference is that there are several leagues in Europe that are all very good - Germany, England, Spain, Italy, maybe others. With the 4 major sports here, there is no comparison anywhere else (including Japan Mel. ;))

RAIDER
02-02-2010, 03:34 PM
1950 Mate!

)

Dont forget you beat us in a friendly in 1993 mate :(

Have to say your game has come on in leaps and bounds over the years . We have quite a few USA players playing in English division such as Landon Donavan ( who scored for Everton last week ) as well as Tim Howard

You were brilliant against Spain last year :thumbsup:

RAIDER
02-02-2010, 04:07 PM
:thumbsup: Agreed to let you have your chuckles, after all with your dismal weather, by comparrison, you need something to brighten your days.

I love our weather mate ...its changes from day to day just like Brett Farve :D

diz_girl
02-02-2010, 04:17 PM

However on your logic

The argument that the Americans have players from all over the world, so whatever team wins can call themselves 'World Champions' is a bunch of hooey. They call themselves 'World Champions' because it makes them feel better about themselves. And I wouldn't be surprised if it sells more merchandise.

At least MLB, the NBA and the NHL have teams located outside the U.S., therefore they term 'world champions' could loosely apply to them, but the NFL doesn't. At least with olympic hockey and baseball (until 2008), or with the World Cup, you have country vs. country and a real 'world' champion.

Scar
02-02-2010, 04:19 PM
... as well as Tim HowardA local boy... township next to mine. :thumbsup:

I love our weather mate ...its changes from day to day just like Brett Farve :DWell, it took a while, but we finally got the thread back on track. :D

Scar
02-02-2010, 04:25 PM
That didn't last long.
At least with olympic hockey and baseball (until 2008), or with the World Cup, you have country vs. country and a real 'world' champion.Don't lump baseball in with those others. The Olympics were college kids. And the Baseball World Cup was (and is) a joke. An exhbition.

RAIDER
02-02-2010, 04:42 PM
The argument that the Americans have players from all over the world, so whatever team wins can call themselves 'World Champions' is a bunch of hooey. They call themselves 'World Champions' because it makes them feel better about themselves. And I wouldn't be surprised if it sells more merchandise.

At least MLB, the NBA and the NHL have teams located outside the U.S., therefore they term 'world champions' could loosely apply to them, but the NFL doesn't. At least with olympic hockey and baseball (until 2008), or with the World Cup, you have country vs. country and a real 'world' champion.

Diz _Girl has it the nail on the head on this debate ( which includes Brett Farve as he won the superbowl with the packers and was classed as a world champion :D )....ummm i think we got away with it SCAR :D:beer:

To call yourself a world champion its country v country or competitor v competitor representing their country ...

It took a womans touch to sort us boys out

diz-girl ...I thankyou :notworth:

Greenlawler
02-02-2010, 05:37 PM

Hmmmmm I'll just ignore this, it will be better for everyone. :thumbsup:

Greenlawler
02-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Diz _Girl has it the nail on the head on this debate ( which includes Brett Farve as he won the superbowl with the packers and was classed as a world champion :D )....ummm i think we got away with it SCAR :D:beer:

To call yourself a world champion its country v country or competitor v competitor representing their country ...

It took a womans touch to sort us boys out

diz-girl ...I thankyou :notworth:

Of course the fact that she agreed with you did not hurt huh???? The fact that you are both wrong has not escaped me however. :D

gueli
02-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Gueli
My reply was a leg pull just like yours :D

So ...yes we were GREAT once when we used to run the world before the USA did

So does that make us minor briton :D, before we grew up ?

Which Rugby player was that i would love to know ... There was once a thread here about who was fitter a Rugby Player or American football player a year or so back ..It was one of the funniest threads i have ever been involved in... :D ( i wont start it up again )

The National was a total wind up .... You know deep in your heart you cant defend the term " World Champions " when its only american teams playing

Sure we can, we are arrogant americans, after all. :thumbsup:

As to the rugby player, I do not know off hand, I read it years & years ago, probably when the NFL started to experiemnt with playing in the UK. As to who is more fit - my answer would be based on the individual, not a collective (because I cannot seriously think that a 350 lb lineman could outlast a 200 lb rugby player in tests of endurance, where as in a strength test they would dominate).

Seriously though
NFL Europe was a farce . When we had the London Monarchs and it was being played at Wembley Stadium . The mistake they made was to charge over the top prices when they should have charged cheap prices to get rear ends on seats to gather support .

We get live games shown back in the UK and it has a massive following as you can now see when your various teams come over to play each year . :beer:

Your point is well taken. I would agree, they would be better to sell tickets at a loss to build up a fan base.

And as a fan, I thank you for spending your hard earned ruples on the NFL merchandise.
Hey by the way, if you see any NY Jets as AFC champion T-shirts, let me know , I mean they do sell them in some of those backwards countries like yours, don't they ? :D

(and for those of you not getting the joke - the UK is neither backwards nor do they use ruples)

and to continue- isn't this a thread about the LEGEND, The QB, the man in the sears commercials- Brett Favre? are we still talking about him ?
:beer:

RAIDER
02-03-2010, 03:58 AM
Good Morning America

Of course the fact that she agreed with you did not hurt huh???? The fact that you are both wrong has not escaped me however. :D

Greenlawler well Diz_Girl is correct and is the voice of courageous reason and interlect . Why shouldnt i agree with a fellow scholar :beer

So does that make us minor briton :D, before we grew up ?

And as a fan, I thank you for spending your hard earned ruples on the NFL merchandise.
Hey by the way, if you see any NY Jets as AFC champion T-shirts, let me know , I mean they do sell them in some of those backwards countries like yours, don't they ? :D

(and for those of you not getting the joke - the UK is neither backwards nor do they use ruples)

Gueli mate , none taken ..as i said this is all in good humour and i love the banter and the wind ups :thumbsup:

Theres nothing i like more in buying merchandise from the NATIONAL Football League and help propping up your economy . I mean the old mother country still loves the USA :babyroll:
And i find Jets Tee shirts make lovely doormats and cat litter liners for our house :D

To reply to your question concerning Minor Britain ... We were known as Great Britain when we ruled the world .

Then we sort of copied your logic
We were
England , United Kingdom Then made a huge leap to GREAT Britain

Just like your NFL

Divisional Champions ....Conferance Champions ...Then the HUGE leap to WORLD Champions :D

USA was not minor Britain but a lovely back yard for us Brits were one day we would inspire you to make Disneyland as England had no more room as it was taken up by too many castles lol

I hope this answers this history lesson Gueli ? hehe ( sorry i have run out of figures )

Now lads ..Has Brett Farve signed for the Vikings yet ?? :D:

The Reservoir Dog
02-03-2010, 04:15 AM
I have been following this closely and have to agree that I always thought the term "World Champions" to be extremly excessive.

I think that all bases have been covered here and it's great to see we can all have a good laugh about this. :D

I must say that Diz Girl's remarks were absolutely bang on and refreshing to see.

Bring on 12th June!!!!

By the way considering the season Favre had I think it would be great to see him again next season but let's not go through all the will I or won't I thing.

Greenlawler
02-03-2010, 10:58 AM
I have been following this closely and have to agree that I always thought the term "World Champions" to be extremly excessive.

I think that all bases have been covered here and it's great to see we can all have a good laugh about this. :D

I must say that Diz Girl's remarks were absolutely bang on and refreshing to see.

Bring on 12th June!!!!

By the way considering the season Favre had I think it would be great to see him again next season but let's not go through all the will I or won't I thing.

Wow so shocked anothe Brit agrees with Raider. Apparently the term bang on means delusional. :mickey:

diz_girl
02-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Diz_Girl is correct and is the voice of courageous reason and interlect . Why shouldnt i agree with a fellow scholar :beer

I like the sound of that - 'The Voice of Courageous Reason and Intellect'. Maybe I'll put that on my signature. I hope that you don't mind if I corrected the spelling from 'interlect', unless it was intentional or the beer.

Anyway, in response to another post, I didn't say or imply that Americans are arrogant, it's just that people say that they are 'world champions' rather than national champions to feel better about themselves. Whether it stems from an inferiority complex or a superiority complex is debatable. It's just human nature to do it.

Also, I meant to say World Cup soccer is a real world championship, not baseball. Sorry for the confusion

Anyway, aren't we a little off topic?

Back to the topic of 'Is Brett Favre playing next season?' While seeing someone my age playing well in the NFL makes me feel better about myself, the correct answer is "Who cares?"

Greenlawler
02-03-2010, 01:00 PM
I like the sound of that - 'The Voice of Courageous Reason and Intellect'. Maybe I'll put that on my signature. I hope that you don't mind if I corrected the spelling from 'interlect', unless it was intentional or the beer.

Anyway, in response to another post, I didn't say or imply that Americans are arrogant, it's just that people say that they are 'world champions' rather than national champions to feel better about themselves. Whether it stems from an inferiority complex or a superiority complex is debatable. It's just human nature to do it.

Also, I meant to say World Cup soccer is a real world championship, not baseball. Sorry for the confusion

Anyway, aren't we a little off topic?

Back to the topic of 'Is Brett Favre playing next season?' While seeing someone my age playing well in the NFL makes me feel better about myself, the correct answer is "Who cares?"

I find it hard to believe someone can be so wrong about so many things and still have public opinion on their side....wait a minute....sounds like American politics....

But I digress. Yes we are off topic. To answer your question correctly.... allot of people care whether you do or not. If you do not, why bother posting on this thread about Brett Favre? :mickey:

And not to rub salt in the wound but do you really think some guys sat in a smoke filled office fifty years ago and said "Hmmm what do we call the Super Bowl Winner? Lets call them World Champs becuase we need to feel better about ourselves? We are millionaires but we need to defer that title to these athletes, to overcome the inferiority complex we are all suffering from in America."
:D
Complete and utter balderdash.

Look the term World Champion refering to Basketball and Football is in FACT from an obvious source and has nothing to do with complexes.

When the NFL started it was the only football league in the world! As time progressed the AFL came along. So when the leagues decided to play a game to determine the ultimate winner....what would they call it?

1. They were the ONLY Football leagues in the WORLD.

2. The National and American titles would only imply that they had won their perspective league. Example if the Packers won the Super Bowl and were declared National Champions that would at least to those owners imply they were the NFL champs and not the AFL champs. I know this sounds fairly odd but to understand this you must understand the culture of the competition that exsisted between the two leagues. Thus the term World Champion. Arrogent..... yes
Appropriate....yes
No other leagues in the world at the time.

3. When the NBA came along the same thing happened as the upstart ABA tried to knock them off. Once again low and behold there was no other professional league in the world.

If I am the only person in the world who gets paid to shot put garden gnomes then I am the world champion gnome putter BECAUSE no one else does it professionally.

4. Once the label started it was traditional, and my earlier arguements still apply.

:) Good enough?

Scar
02-03-2010, 01:36 PM
If I am the only person in the world who gets paid to shot put garden gnomes then I am the world champion gnome putter BECAUSE no one else does it professionally.What chanel can I catch that on?

RAIDER
02-03-2010, 01:44 PM

"

Diz_Girl It was meant to be "intellect" and the beer smilies for some weird reason didnt come out . Therefore i shall now be known as
"The typist of unfortunate spelling" ! :blush:
By all means use it as a signature cos the way Greenlawlers (bless him ) going i think one will need it :D

Greenlawler
02-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Diz_Girl It was meant to be "intellect" and the beer smilies for some weird reason didnt come out . Therefore i shall now be known as
"The typist of unfortunate spelling" ! :blush:
By all means use it as a signature cos the way Greenlawlers (bless him ) going i think one will need it :D

I am just waiting for reason to win the day, and a actual couterpoint other than speculation and wild theory. Apparently I am going to wait a long while :D

RAIDER
02-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Wow so shocked anothe Brit agrees with Raider. Apparently the term bang on means delusional. :mickey:

Greenlawler my good friend from across the pond :cheers:

Sorry am i missing something here ?
Your shocked that a fellow Brit agreed with me :jaw:
Well i was absolutley shocked and stunned when a couple of amercians agreed with you . I never saw that one comming ;):D

Whatever the historyonics of how the NFL started and your views of what is classed as a World Champion ....Its how its perceived and your view . And your view is something what i respect . " It makes the world a more interesting place "

Look lets just say that football ( soccer ) rugby ,cricket and golf basically started in the UK . ..These games have managed to expand to other countries to which they have their own domestic leagues and a proper world cup where each country compete against each other .
Theres even in some cases a World Club competition where different countries teams compete against each other .

Now that is why its seen across the pond the NFL with only American teams competing looks so funny when the winners call themselves World Champions .

I could understand if the NFL said " right were going to have 6 more teams and there going to be non american competing for the superbowl "
The teams that are non american could have all americans in it but the point is ,it would be counted as a WORLD club sport

Thats why it generally percieved as a quirk across the pond because we just dont have ths situation .

Now for the bomb and wind up ...:thedolls:
I mean its not our fault you havent been able to promote the sport world wide at grass roots is it ? haha :D

If Brett Farve doesnt want his contract renewed he would make a great ambassador of your sport ;)

Greenlawler
02-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Greenlawler my good friend from across the pond :cheers:

Sorry am i missing something here ?
Your shocked that a fellow Brit agreed with me :jaw:
Well i was absolutley shocked and stunned when a couple of amercians agreed with you . I never saw that one comming ;):D

Whatever the historyonics of how the NFL started and your views of what is classed as a World Champion ....Its how its perceived and your view . And your view is something what i respect . " It makes the world a more interesting place "

Look lets just say that football ( soccer ) rugby ,cricket and golf basically started in the UK . ..These games have managed to expand to other countries to which they have their own domestic leagues and a proper world cup where each country compete against each other .
Theres even in some cases a World Club competition where different countries teams compete against each other .

Now that is why its seen across the pond the NFL with only American teams competing looks so funny when the winners call themselves World Champions .

I could understand if the NFL said " right were going to have 6 more teams and there going to be non american competing for the superbowl "
The teams that are non american could have all americans in it but the point is ,it would be counted as a WORLD club sport

Thats why it generally percieved as a quirk across the pond because we just dont have ths situation .

Now for the bomb and wind up ...:thedolls:
I mean its not our fault you havent been able to promote the sport world wide at grass roots is it ? haha :D

If Brett Farve doesnt want his contract renewed he would make a great ambassador of your sport ;)

Good points. I totally understand why you guys scoff at this. I never meant to imply that I thought you had no right to do this...however you asked the original question.....I simply have tried to explain the logic behind it...which I think is somewhat sound.

Now I ceded your points... it is arrogent and quircky I also agree that you will possibly never come around to agreeing with it. But you should at least acknowledge the fact that I attempted to answer the original question, which was why we do it.
"Why do we call it a World Championship?" I gave you the explanation and the answer. The main reason is the AFL and NFL merger it was as simple as finding a name both were happy with, plus the money etc... You may not like the answer but it is THE answer. If you were the best football player in the world you would play in the NFL case closed, and if you won the NFL trophey you would be World Champion no matter how many of your fellow Brits laughed at you.

I would guess this it it. I have spent way to much time and effort explaining..and you can have the last word....that is unless I am provoked ;)

The funny thing is....
I think you are right we should maybe change the titles, but I do understand the logic behind them, and I do know the NFL and NBA represent the top levels of their sport...so what would the purpose be for changing the names.....so some Europeans would think nicer of us? I guess.....

RAIDER
02-03-2010, 03:00 PM
I would guess this it it. I have spent way to much time and effort explaining..and you can have the last word....that is unless I am provoked ;)

Greenlawler its been a healthy and honarable debate and most of all fun :D
I have learnt alot from you and on why the Americans call it World Champions .

Its what they call a clash of cultures i guess

Am not going to have the last word as such .
Lets just say we have both been weve both learnt from each other from the passed few days .

Maybe we might meet up on one of those intercotees disney meets and have a drink one day :thumbsup:

Greenlawler
02-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Greenlawler its been a healthy and honarable debate and most of all fun :D
I have learnt alot from you and on why the Americans call it World Champions .

Its what they call a clash of cultures i guess

Am not going to have the last word as such .
Lets just say we have both been weve both learnt from each other from the passed few days .

Maybe we might meet up on one of those intercotees disney meets and have a drink one day :thumbsup:

:exactly:

Scar
02-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Brett Favre may play next year.

OK first I want to reiterate that I personally don’t use the term “World Champions” when it comes to the 4 major sports in the USA, and, at least in my circle, I don’t know many who do. But, it is undeniable that, all things being fair and equal (meaning no country like the Soviet Union not allowing their hockey players to play elsewhere,) the champions of those four sports would 9 out of 10 times beat any other team in the world.

Brett Favre may not play next year.

RAIDER
02-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Now weirdly enough i am going to get on the subject of Brett Farve .

I read that Kurt Warner retired ( i hope my info is correct ) :blush:

Now please put up with my ignorance as we dont get all the follow up programmes you get in the UK .
After watching Farve this season ,i can honestly say in my humble opinion that yes he could play another season ....but was this the same for Warner ?
( regardless of his reasons to go )
And do you think Farve has another season where he can still produce the goods ? ...Cheers

Scar
02-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Warner did indeed retire. And I can guarantee he will stay retired.

I think both could play again next year if they wanted to. At the same level, maybe not, but there are a lot of teams out there that have bad QB's that would take them.

RAIDER
02-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Warner did indeed retire. And I can guarantee he will stay retired.

I think both could play again next year if they wanted to. At the same level, maybe not, but there are a lot of teams out there that have bad QB's that would take them.

Cheers Scar
Yeah the Raiders for one ... mind you we wouldnt just stop at getting a decent quarterback either the list would go on !!!:D

Shame about Warner he seemed a true gentlemen to me whenever he was interviewed . He will get a tv panelist job easy :thumbsup:

Greenlawler
02-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Cheers Scar
Yeah the Raiders for one ... mind you we wouldnt just stop at getting a decent quarterback either the list would go on !!!:D

Shame about Warner he seemed a true gentlemen to me whenever he was interviewed . He will get a tv panelist job easy :thumbsup:

Not sure about Warner getting much television exposure. He is a pretty outspoken Christian. It was a shame to see him retire.

I would take Favre on my team anyday. If he was a Titan this year we might be playing Sunday. Chris Johnson does not have "fumblidus," like other running backs ;)

gueli
02-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Not sure about Warner getting much television exposure. He is a pretty outspoken Christian. It was a shame to see him retire.
I would take Favre on my team anyday. If he was a Titan this year we might be playing Sunday. Chris Johnson does not have "fumblidus," like other running backs ;)

I agree, warner could have played a few more years. As far as the TV exposure - could he be a commentator- sure. I do not think anyone would crucify him for being a christian and being a football commentator. But I do not believe that is where he wants to be.

Having had favre on my team - I would like to comment on your last comment. Can he play ? absolutely. But much like any older player he is subject to injuries taking longer to heal. He is a heck of a good QB. But the Vikings suit him fine, If he were to come back, I could see him playing for them again- even with his little war with his head coach. They were thisclose to beating the saints. Favre needs a team, like the vikings, who just need a QB. All the other positions need to be filled with talent.

We will see at the start of next season...

Missy_Mouses_Dad
02-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Now that this horse has been beaten all the way to the glue factory..

maybe somebody can explain to me why the qb gets the credit for a win, but in the case of a loss, everybody scrutinizes the other facets of the game?

a winner is a winner..a choker is a choker. Atlanta, NYG, Saints. There is a common thread here. Favre had the opportunity in two games, and could not close the deal. Atlanta, he played terrible...Rams also. If I recall, five picks in that game.

He has all the numbers. He was a great qb. But not the best. I would take Tom Brady, Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw, Bart Starr, or Joe Montana in a big game over Favre.

Back to the original question: Who knows, who cares, let's sit back and enjoy the Super bowl, to see who is crowned Super bowl champion :thumbsup:

Greenlawler
02-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Now that this horse has been beaten all the way to the glue factory..

maybe somebody can explain to me why the qb gets the credit for a win, but in the case of a loss, everybody scrutinizes the other facets of the game?

a winner is a winner..a choker is a choker. Atlanta, NYG, Saints. There is a common thread here. Favre had the opportunity in two games, and could not close the deal. Atlanta, he played terrible...Rams also. If I recall, five picks in that game.

He has all the numbers. He was a great qb. But not the best. I would take Tom Brady, Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw, Bart Starr, or Joe Montana in a big game over Favre.

Back to the original question: Who knows, who cares, let's sit back and enjoy the Super bowl, to see who is crowned Super bowl champion :thumbsup:

If you want to move....if you really want this dead horse to go to the grave. Stop awakening the ghosts by pointing out all the negative things you can about Favre... like a jilted lover that cannot move on with their life :)...the fact of the matter, is you may just be right. He may not be on Starr of Montana's level but he has had a heck of a career, now enjoy Rodgers and stop putting baby (Favre) in the corner.:thumbsup:

Missy_Mouses_Dad
02-04-2010, 02:32 PM
I am not a "jilted lover". My #4 green and gold jersey is still in my possession. Sunday's were passionately filled with watching him lead the Pack.

Problem is, I used to have curly black hair, now the little bit I have left is gray!! Never mind the fact that I am 52...:D

Scar
02-04-2010, 03:03 PM
I am not a "jilted lover". My #4 green and gold jersey is still in my possession. Sunday's were passionately filled with watching him lead the Pack.

Problem is, I used to have curly black hair, now the little bit I have left is gray!! Never mind the fact that I am 52...:DSounds like a Hank Williams song.

"My hair's still curly and my eyes are still blue, why don't you love me like you used to do."

caryrae
02-04-2010, 05:55 PM
They showed some pics on the News here showing how beat up he got in the Championship game. A couple pics here http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/02/photos-how-brett-favres-ankle-and-hamstring-turned-purple-after-vikings-loss-to-saints/1 his ankle looked pretty bad.

gueli
02-04-2010, 09:04 PM
They showed some pics on the News here showing how beat up he got in the Championship game. A couple pics here http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/02/photos-how-brett-favres-ankle-and-hamstring-turned-purple-after-vikings-loss-to-saints/1 his ankle looked pretty bad.

Yaeh, it almost matches his uniform.
It will heal (most likely), just like his shoulder. The saints put a lot of hits- some not even legal (including the ankle shot) on him. The thing is, it would appear the saints defense went out to HURT Favre. Just look at the play where the Saint picked him up, slammed him to the ground.

Now that interception- that hurt his pride. Truth is it was a bad play call. Why roll your QB who has a gimpy ankle out of the pocket ? If you want Favre to win it, or to play it safe, play to his strengths, not his weaknesses. Have him throw one to the end zone- if you are lucky pass interference. Or your guy catches it. Not lucky, it ends the way it did. But I think it was a bad play call.
Because it hurt his pride, just like so many times before- he will be back.
:thedolls:

Missy_Mouses_Dad
02-05-2010, 09:10 AM
I checked into some stats last night. Favre has 69000 + yards. He will be back to get 70,000. With him it's always been about personal achievement. After the beating he took against New Orleans, I would hope he really puts some thought into what he wants to do this time, though. Too many players have tried to play that extra season.

Nascfan
02-05-2010, 12:44 PM
I think the man has a little too much pride and a little too few brains. But hey, that's just my opinion.

I know there's alot of people here who think the world of him and that it's the media who makes the circus out of all his retirements and un-retirements. I look at it a different way, that it's him that wants, craves even, the media attention. Could be wrong, could be right, I don't know the guy, just an opinion.

Greenlawler
02-05-2010, 02:39 PM
I think the man has a little too much pride and a little too few brains. But hey, that's just my opinion.

I know there's alot of people here who think the world of him and that it's the media who makes the circus out of all his retirements and un-retirements. I look at it a different way, that it's him that wants, craves even, the media attention. Could be wrong, could be right, I don't know the guy, just an opinion.

For someone who does not know the guy that is a pretty negative assumption....I think the guy has millions of dollars, a georgeous wife, a Super Bowl ring, and a future in the Hall of Fame...But hey that's just my opinion.

Nascfan
02-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Millions of dollars - provable fact
Super Bowl ring - proven fact
future in the Hall of Fame - I'd wager a certainty
gorgeous wife - true opinion

Of all the things you stated, only one is really an opinion. All of mine were truly opinions. And that's the neat thing about opinions, they can be negative or positive, doesn't matter, and very hard to be proven one way or the other without asking the person of whom they are about. I used to have positive assumptions about him, before the retirements and un-retirements started and continued over the past few years. Hey, if he wants to beat his body until he can no longer walk, that's his business, not mine.

Greenlawler
02-06-2010, 01:14 AM
Millions of dollars - provable fact
Super Bowl ring - proven fact
future in the Hall of Fame - I'd wager a certainty
gorgeous wife - true opinion

Of all the things you stated, only one is really an opinion. All of mine were truly opinions. And that's the neat thing about opinions, they can be negative or positive, doesn't matter, and very hard to be proven one way or the other without asking the person of whom they are about. I used to have positive assumptions about him, before the retirements and un-retirements started and continued over the past few years. Hey, if he wants to beat his body until he can no longer walk, that's his business, not mine.

All very true...just sick of the anti Favre bandwagon over percieved character flaws. The funny thing is, I have never been a huge Favre guy. I certainly liked the Packers but I was always a David Whitehurst guy ;) I just don't like argument based on assumption.

RAIDER
02-06-2010, 07:44 AM
I personally would love to see Farve come back next season
He certainly didnt disgrace himself last season and was in touching distance of making the superbowl .
Farve is a name worldwide in American Football and if he was comming with the Vikings ( or as QB with any team for that matter ) to Wembley . I guarantee Wembley could be sold twice over in order to get a chance to see the great man play .:thumbsup: