PDA

View Full Version : Figaro the Cat is back in the world! Part 4

dlpmikki
01-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Sunday 17th January
We have a bit of a lie in on Sunday (extra cuddles for me!) and the humans then decide that it is too late to go to Kennedy Space Centre so they go to Epcot instead. Andrew headed for guest relations and got a working audio description device and some large print instructions. As we had not had breakfast and it was now lunchtime we had lunch first at the Electric Umbrella. Very long lines and wait! My Mikki lined up and got the food while we found a table and were joined by our friend Christine.
After lunch the five humans and me headed for Spaceship Earth. This was Andrew’s first opportunity to try out the audio description. It did not buzz until we were on the ride vehicles and about to set off. It worked very well and fitted in its information in the gaps when there was no commentary on the ride. It told him lots that he did not know even though he had been on the ride many times. Sometimes it told him in advance and sometimes it had to be just after because of the commentary.
After the ride we took Ben to Innoventions so he could try the Sum of All Thrills. Most of us then left and went for a mosey around Mousegear. Ben enjoyed designing his ride and went on twice in a row and did a bobsleigh and a rollercoaster. We then headed for Mexico and another chance to try out the audio description device on the Grand Fiesta Tour. Andrew decided the audio description was even more effective here. It described a lot of the action – which is very fast and impossible for him to see. Also, because there is no commentary the audio has to fit round, it can always come before you reach the part it describes – and have a chance to see if you can see anything. The audio description can encourage you to go again (but we didn’t today).

Ellen was having problems with her scooter and was stuck in Norway waiting for a replacement. We had a quick look in China and took the chance for a sit down. Once the scooter was sorted we wandered back to guest relations and tried to get a reservation at Pucks but there was nothing available until quite late. We went and tried for Bahama Breeze and were pleasantly surprised by only a 15 minute wait. Ellen and Ben had not been before and decided they quite liked it. Then it was back to Marriott so Ellen and Ben could get packed as they had to go home the next day.

Monday 18th
For Ellen and Ben’s last morning we head to the Studios. When we get in Ellen rents a scooter while Ben goes to get fast passes for us all on Toy Story Mania. Andrew has never been on this and Mikki has not done it since she got to ride all afternoon on the press launch day. Ben is successful and has fast passes for just after 1pm. We all meet up near the hat and go on the Great Movie Ride as there is no wait. It is a fun show as always.

Ben then heads off to Star Tours while we follow at a more leisurely pace. We stop off at the Writers Stop for some cookies as a breakfast snack and Ellen finally finds the 2010 mug she has been looking for. As we approach Star Tours we see a Photopass photographer taking pictures of people on the Imperial Speeder Bike opposite the ride. Ellen tries to find Ben to get his picture while Mikki and I have ours. The photographer seemed very happy to see me; Prrrrrr. Ben arrives in time to get his done so we will have to see what frames are available when we claim the pictures.

Next up it is Muppetvision 3D and another fun show. We were on the back row with the scooter and it gave a different perspective. We took the opportunity for lunch at what was called Studio Catering. The meals sounded the same but Mikki declared the pork sandwich was not as good but the chicken may have been better. Wonder what my humans will think after it reopens after that area is refurbished.
As we wander down Pixar Avenue (still not time for the ride) my humans see a picture opportunity with Buzz and Woody. We go in while Ellen and Ben head to One Man’s Dream. There is a bit of a line but several picture opportunities for me on the way. I like having my picture taken! We rejoin the others just in time to see the final movie which is as lovely as ever. The exit is in Animation Courtyard so we head into the shop. My humans are tempted but manage to resist buying anything. They are impressed at the price now being asked for an Armani figure of Pinocchio. Perhaps we could sell ours: after all Figaro is only small and the one of him alone is much cuter.

Finally it is time for the ride. Disney have done some clever designing with this one as they have a separate load area for people who need a little extra time and even have a car that can accommodate a wheelchair. It is a fun ride. Ben gets the highest score with over 130k but Andrew is quick to point out that he got 60k without being able to see any of the targets – not bad going at all!

Sadly this brings an end to Ellen and Ben’s time in the park and we head back to Cypress Harbour for a brief rest before heading to the airport. It was sad to say goodbye to them. After we leave them we head back down Sand Lake Road and go for a brief visit to the Florida Mall. We only go to the Disney Store, Origins and the Food Court! We will have another longer visit another day but for now we got some new Disney T-shirts.

Tuesday 19th January
It’s off to the Magic Kingdom today, where we have lunch reservations at Liberty Tree Tavern for a character meal. It is not that busy as we see when we pass the tip board - The wait for Dumbo is only 20 minutes and 25 minutes for Peter Pan. Mikki can even watch some of the show on the Castle stage from the path to Liberty Square without several rows of people in the way!

We go into the Christmas Shop. Mikki is interested in a CD of “Disney Parks Holiday Medley” and a kind cast member puts it on to play in the store. Mikki is specially interested in the tune at track 15, so we stay for a half hour listening to the whole CD. By then, Mikki has worked out a list of things she will buy including the CD even though the song concerned wasn’t the version she hoped) and I have had a few pictures taken.
Haunted Mansion says it has a 10 minute wait so we walk up to the door – and walk straight in. The weather must be improving: the humans have real difficulty adjusting to the dark.

Now it’s time to go for lunch. They are serving a fixed, family style menu which is probably better value than the normal lunch menu although my Mikki had been looking forward to the crab cakes!
I had pictures with Pluto, Minnie Mouse, Chip and Dale. We had a table by the window and Pluto seemed very keen that I look out of the window after our picture. Minnie Mouse gave Andrew lots of kisses: Mikki says she remembers exactly how many! Chip looked like he was a bit unfamiliar with the location: he had a minder who was constantly giving him instructions like, “never go into the foyer”. Oh, it was a lovely fun lunch.

After lunch we go back to the Christmas shop and buy the CD, some Tink ornaments and a couple of Xmas place mats. As we leave we see a princess Tiana meet n greet but the line was already closed. Maybe another time and maybe we will see the Princess and the Frog first! We walk out via Adventureland and Mikki spies Lilo and Stitch and we go and have pictures with them. Last time we were here, Timon and Rafiki used to be in this spot. After this brief excitement we gradually walk to the exit of the park and head back to the car.
We go to Publix for basics for the humans and also look through their greetings cards because we have heard of a friend who has had to go into hospital so we want a “Get Well Soon”. Passing the Valentine’s Day section, we pick up a big card with a lovely 3D picture of Tinker Bell. We also spot Mickey Mouse Valentine cards – in packs of six! What will Minnie Mouse do?

Dragongirlx
01-29-2010, 08:41 AM
Love these trip reports Figaro

mouseketeer mom
01-29-2010, 08:53 AM
Nice leisurely days with lots of shopping. Very nice! Thanks for reporting!

faline
01-29-2010, 11:37 AM
Sorry to hear that Ben and Ellen have left! I may have to keep an eye out for that CD on my next trip - sounds quite interesting!

DizNee143
01-29-2010, 12:35 PM
another great couple of days!! :mickey:

offwego
01-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Sounds like the crowd levels were really begining to make it easier!
TSM is so much fun I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Thank you again for the report and I'm sorry Mikki missed out on her crab cakes:thumbsup:

KylesMom
01-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Another wonderful couple of days with good friends. It sounds like you are having success at your dining locations - not a bad review yet, which is promising! I'm glad that Andrew finally was able to use the audio machine with success, too. Characters sure seem abound when you're around, Figaro! :mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-31-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm sorry you didn't get to Kennedy Space Center, but you're having a great trip! Thanks for sharing :mickey:

SBETigg
02-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Wonderful day! Love the Chip report. I can picture Chip needing a minder to help him along.

vizsla
02-03-2010, 04:45 AM
Thanks for the report.

pdrlkr
02-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: