PDA

View Full Version : Best Downtown Non-Disney Hotel

antnyh
01-28-2010, 10:55 PM
We are staying outside a couple of night before going in to the poly. Can anyone suggest a good hotel around the downtown area in the range of $90-120?

Mousemates
01-28-2010, 11:07 PM
do you mean downtown orlando or downtown disney?

Tygger7
01-29-2010, 09:34 AM
Call me paranoid, but I'm very nervous about staying anywhere off property. For $90 to $120, you could spend a couple of nights a Pop Century. That's the easiest & safest option, IMHO. :D

Patricia
01-29-2010, 10:17 AM
We love Buena Vista Palace in Downtown Disney.. Awesome, large deluxe rooms with bath robes and huge flat screen TV's. Balconies on most, beautiful pool.. walk across the street to Downtown Disney, but this time of year it's expensive. Watch for discounts before your trip. I've stayed there for $89 a night.

murphy1
01-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Call me paranoid, but I'm very nervous about staying anywhere off property. For $90 to $120, you could spend a couple of nights a Pop Century. That's the easiest & safest option, IMHO. :D

I grew up there and stayed many places around and still do outside dt Disney, as long as you follow common sense, it's safe.

Tygger7
01-29-2010, 01:33 PM
I grew up there and stayed many places around and still do outside dt Disney, as long as you follow common sense, it's safe.

Actually, the issue was that some friends of ours went down and didn't want to spend the extra money to stay onsite. Their car was broken into and several items were stolen (i.e. CD's, books, jackets, etc.). Biggest hassle was getting the window & door lock/handle repaired. My parents used to go & stay offsite until they had a similar experience...the car next to theirs was broken into. So, after those experiences (as well as another friend whose van was broken into at a hotel outside Nashville in a "touristy" area & her wedding dress & videos were stolen), I shy away from hotels in touristy areas without good security. :mickey:

grumpypima
01-30-2010, 01:52 AM
We've stayed at the Hilton and Doubletree, both were DTD locations. Can't remember the price point exactly but I think it was around $100. I usually go with an internet or advance booking rate. Both were nice.

The Hilton had a Japanese Steakhouse, an Italian restaurant, and several causal/counter service choices. The pool area good. Our standard room felt very small for the three of us; me, DH, and DS-5. The front desk was very rude, both at check-in and check-out. They may have been overwhelmed as there were ALOT of teenagers everywhere. I think it was a high school prom or awards dinner? Don't get me wrong, I like teenagers for the most part; in fact I have a teenager and I like him :thumbsup: it was just a very busy night with ALOT of teenagers having the time of their lives! We requested a room change in hopes of getting away from all the fun or at the very least a change of floors away from all the action. The front desk clerk rolled her eyes at our request and didn't really want to help. It was quite an ordeal to get a room change. It took a very long time with a alot of whispering to/from co-workers and rolled eyes from most of the front desk staff. We smiled and stayed polite while asking for the huge favor of a room change. In the end we were moved and had a quiet night's rest.

The Doubletree was more to our liking. The room was huge. We did the pool bar and Pizza Hut Express on-site the night we arrived. It was good. The pizza was delivered to us at the pool bar & grill area. The pool area was clean and the water was cold & refreshing as it was a hot day in August. It was nice after a long day on the road. The sit-down restaurant was good for breakfast. We chose the buffet but we could have ordered off the menu.

#1donaldfan
01-30-2010, 10:52 AM
We have stayed many times, on arrival day, at a Holiday Inn Express just outside of dowtown Disney on Palm Parkway.....they have a very nice pool, with waterfalls and a slide, a very good hot breakfast, and it's only about 5 minutes from our resort (port orleans). There is also an Olive Garden beside it, so dinner is taken care of.....etc....:mickey:

AAA rate is about 85 / 90 ish....

DisneyMomx7
01-30-2010, 04:23 PM
We drove last year and decided to spend the first night at the Buena Vista Palace and Spa in DTD and check into the BC early the next morning. It was a very nice hotel, you could see Illuminations from the balcony. Kids got a chance to swim and relax and we were able to walk over to DTD for dinner and get a good night's sleep before getting up bright and early to check into BC.

antnyh
01-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Sounds like I'll be checking into Buena Vista and Double Tree. I have looked into the Hilton and it seems too high for just a night's sleep. If anyone has anymore suggestions please go ahead and post.

kathiep
01-31-2010, 10:30 AM
We stayed at the Fairfield Inn for one night last year. It's a campus type set up with a Fairfeld, a Marriott Courtyard and one other hotel all on the same grounds.I believe it was called Fairfield Inn - Lake Buena Vista. Each had a pool but you could use any of the three. There was a decent complitmentary hot breakfast available in the morning. There was a Carrabba's, Crab House and Bahama Breeze all within sight distance. We'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

antnyh
01-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Well folks, I was shocked, but the most affordable hotel is the Pop Century. I got two nights for $185. Non of the other offsite hotels even came close. Actually that makes me very happy since I don't have to worry about parking or too much about security. Plus the main reason for going down early is to hit Downtown Disney and the Mall at Millenia! Woot! This trip is going to be here before you know it. Thanks for all for your suggestions.

:mickey:

SBETigg
01-31-2010, 08:01 PM
We had a great stay at the Downtown Disney Hilton for a night before we moved to our Grand Floridian room. The service was excellent. Everyone was so helpful and friendly from the front desk to the bell services. They gave us a complimentary upgrade to an amazing top floor room with a balcony overlooking Downtown Disney. We could see Epcot's Illuminations fireworks as well as the Contemporary and Wishes off in the distance. It was amazing. Really nice room. I would go back, could have stayed longer (except wouldn't have given up the GF).

Also, we ate at their Benihana and had a good meal and a great time.

MNNHFLTX
02-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Glad you found a satisfactory answer to your question. Pop Century will be a fun place to hang out until you transfer over to the Polynesian! :thumbsup:

LVT
02-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Not a big surprise. I paid 90 at a motel 8. A doughnut in the morning is not equal to a room near Lady or under a yo=yo.

mickeefan
02-03-2010, 11:03 AM
I am not certain, but I believe since you are staying at Pop, when you move to the Poly, they will move your things for you.

antnyh
02-05-2010, 12:44 PM
That is a great idea. I'll have to check into that once I get there. That would be great.

I am not certain, but I believe since you are staying at Pop, when you move to the Poly, they will move your things for you.