PDA

View Full Version : Tutto Italia or Mama Melrose’s?

pirateyankee80
01-27-2010, 05:21 PM
:confused:My SIL wants Italian so now we have a decision to make. I have read posts that have said Mama Melrose has gone down a little (new chef?). :unsure:Is Tutto very elegant? We are staying at the BC so both are easy to get to, (that’s why we love the BC!) :thumbsup:Anyway once again I ask for your help…..only 123 days till we make our ADR’s! Can’t wait to get this behind me.:rolleyes: Thanks again.

Rekenna
01-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Sorry I can't help, we haven't tried either yet, we do have an ADR for Tutto for February. I walked up to the restaurant on our last trip, it was very nice, not overly fancy. I'm sure someone will come along with more useful information!:mickey:

bruin1344
01-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Been to both. Neither compares to an Italian restaurant around the Boston area. I preferred Tutto Italia. Tutto Italia had better tasting and quality food but the menu was lacking popular italian dishes like chicken parm. Mama Melrose was mediocre.

Alligirl
01-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Tutto Italia!!!!! We went on our last trip and it was wonderful! My DD requested the recipe for her lamb dish and has made it here many times since. My older DD who had spent a semester abroad said it reminded her of her time in Italy! We all loved our meal!!!

ANG
01-28-2010, 07:18 AM
We enjoyed Mama Melrose!

VWL Mom
01-28-2010, 08:10 AM
We've done both and have enjoyed them both. They are not "the best" Italian food but are good. I would suggest looking over both menus and then decide Tutto Italia is somewhat pricey IMO. If you go to MM, the calamari w/hot peppers is awesome!

betteratmk
01-28-2010, 09:22 AM
If you like the Olive Garden, you 'll like Mama Melrose. The only real problem we've had there was our server. Bad hair day apparently on 2 occasions. Not the best representative of the Disney spirit:D

KAT1811
01-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Been to both. Neither compares to an Italian restaurant around the Boston area. I preferred Tutto Italia. Tutto Italia had better tasting and quality food but the menu was lacking popular italian dishes like chicken parm. Mama Melrose was mediocre.

:ditto:

Not much compares to dinner in the North End of Boston! Although Federal Hill here in RI is just as good!

I too prefer Tutto Italia to Mama's. I wouldn't say that Tutto is "elegant" but it is a nice restaurant. I simply liked the food there better.

I would never order Chicken Parm at an italian
restaurant. It's funny but out of all the italian immigrants I know none of them have ever prepared chicken parm. (the most amazing italian food I have ever had has been prepared by our italian friends straight from the "old country") A few have done breaded chicken cutlets but never chicken parm. Funny. They mostly do pastas and meat dishes with simple sauces mostly comprised of vegetables and tons of olive oil! Oh and then there are squash flowers!!! My favorite!!!

TheDuckRocks
01-28-2010, 12:11 PM
We enjoy them both but Tutto Italia would be the winner of the 2 for us.

renecat
01-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Another vote for tutto italia. Ate there in Sept. 2009 was a great meal.

lightyearfan
01-28-2010, 12:47 PM
with out a doubt it's tutto italia. the food is soooo much better then mama melrose. we ate at mama twice and both times it was bad bad bad. we swore that we would never go back, after the first time we thought ok bad night , the second time was just as bad, the food is way over cooked with garlic and the service was lacking. tutto on the other hand was great, the food was perfectly done, and the serivce was top notch, now being italian and living ny knowing what good italian food is (mom isn't half bad eiher :-)) , i will say that it doesnt offer the classics like chicken parm etc, but if i want that i'll go to my local pizzareia and get it. im not going to travel that far and settle for a chicken parm. any decent pizza place can do that. so mine and dw vote is for tutto italia, you wont be disappointed.

Victor

Polynesian Dweller
01-28-2010, 06:17 PM
For all Disney restaurants there are a range of experiences reported from the outstanding to horrible.

In our case, we have never had anything but good food and service at Mama Melrose. It's not signature restaurant level quality but it's been reliable. On the other hand, Tutto Italia in October was one of the worst dinners we have had in 20 years going to WDW. The entrees were so bland and unappetizing that we gave up on them quickly.

That's our experience others have had the exact opposite in both places. I would say the best thing is likely to look at the menus on this site and choose what looks good to you and go to that restaurant. The odds are good you will enjoy the place.

big blue and hairy
01-29-2010, 11:45 AM
If budget allows, I would suggest trying both. They are completely different. Mama Melrose is a cutsie Italian restaurant that is supposed to be in California. The fact that the food is not authentic Italian can be attributed to that. I really like MM's atmosphere, but the food is ordinary at best.

Tutto Italia was terrific both times we ate there. It is much more of and upscale restaurant in Italy. The food is much better and much more authentic. It is definitely more expensive, but this is a case of "you get what you pay for".

:sulley:

KarenP
01-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Another vote for Tutto Italia. It is one of my favorites. The food was very good and the service was excellent.