PDA

View Full Version : HOw do you choose which park on which day??

ljgirl
01-27-2010, 08:25 AM
My family (me, DH, DD(10) and DS (7) will be at WDW from March 15-22nd. We are staying at POFQ. I am trying to plan an itinerary and I am having trouble deciding which parks to do on which days! We will have a park hopper pass. The only ADR I have right now is Sci Fi Diner on Friday for lunch and Fantasmic! Dinner Package on Sunday.

How do I decide where to go??? Also, how do you coordinate your ADR's with the park you are visiting??

I am so confused:confused:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joannelet
01-27-2010, 08:33 AM
I think you have me confused LOL
You put that you are going March 15-17th but that is Monday thru Wednesday.
Then you said that you have ADR's on Friday and Sunday.....
Do you mean that you are going to WDW from March 15-21st?
The days that your ADR's are you can just plan to Hollywood Studios the day that you are eating at Sci Fi. On the day that you have the fantasmic dinner package you can do another park earlier during the day then arrive to HS at least an hour before your dinner ressie so that you are in the correct park.
As far as choosing other parks on which days just decide which park has more interesting rides for your group and start off there.
MK is usually more crowded at the end of the the week (locals go on weekends etc) and people usually like to end their vacation at that park. Animal Kingdom depending on what you want to do can still take up to a half day or a whole day of park hours if you do the shows etc.

Darbylew
01-27-2010, 08:57 AM
We don't always have a plan. We just go with
the flow. One time I heard which days were
busy than others and we went by that most of
the time. I have forgotten what the busy days
are for each park. Does anyone know? If so that
would help you plan your days.
FIRST TRIP 1972
LAST TRIP NOV. 2009 :thumbsup:
NEXT TRIP MAY 2010 :D
AND MANY TRIPS IN BETWEEN :mickey:

Jim&AngieMarriner
01-27-2010, 09:06 AM
I dont know really how to advise you on the ADR since we have only done it once for the Biergarten/Candle light processional.

As to what parks to do on what day, honestly we only go once every 3-4 years so we do at least 5 days. And as a tradition, we always start and end our trip in the MK. It just doesnt seem right if the first and last thing we see isnt the Castle. Everything else in between is always flexible but we have to start and end at MK.

Honestly though for you, just look at what is out there that you want to do and figure out a system that you can rate them. Talley the numbers or whatever and plan accordingly. you might want to go top rated stuff then mid-low then back up to high to finish the trip off. Or you can take the parks as a Big Park (MK and Epcot) and Little park (DHS, AK). The big park little park is a method we use. It keeps you from burning out as badly or quickly.

Just remember, there is no wrong way to experience Disney

ljgirl
01-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks for pointing out that I had the wrong dates! I corrected them! We will be there from March 15-22...

BigRedDad
01-27-2010, 09:08 AM
My plan revolves around hitting morning EMH. You can get quite a bit accomplished in that 1-hour, especially at MK. We tend to also hit parks that had evening EMH the night before.

prttynpnk
01-27-2010, 09:49 AM
We are sort of dining-centric. We decide on restaurants we would like to do,make ressies and then base park visits around them so that we don't have to scurry around so much. Unless we are there for Starwars weekend, then we plan it around those events.

biodtl
01-27-2010, 10:09 AM
We always know that the first park and the last park we visit will be MK - other than that, or varies. Usually, I try to fine out which parks have longer hours, or have something going on I want to see (performances, etc) and I work around that. Then I try to make one ADR per day that works with my plans. But We're flexible - we'll go where we have to in order to get the best experience, meals, etc.

We have also played it by ear with ADRs - only making a couple "special" ones and just calling the dining line every day to see what was available where.

Plus, we always get the hopper - int he past, we never took advantage of it that much, but last trip we discovered the fun of leaving dinner or a park that closed earlier and hitting another park with later hours.

Altair
01-27-2010, 10:10 AM
The days depend on what you are looking for. It changes on how important things are to you such as small crowds, long park hours, Extra Magic hours and ADR's.
If possible, avoid the parks on weekends.:mickey:

wdwluv
01-27-2010, 10:22 AM
hi - newbie here - and I am working out all the abbreviations...but I am REALLY stuck on this one...ADR? :blush:

is that advance dinner reservations? :confused:

Thanks!

WishingStar2006
01-27-2010, 10:45 AM
I always use park hours as my guide to what park/when. I am one of the few that LOVES night time EMH...even if I can't get alot of rides in, I love the atmosphere of the parks at night! So, I usually plan my ADR's around te EMH to make sure I get to take advantage of them. FOr example, if MK is has EMH in the evening until 11:00 or 12:00 (during the winter, hours are limited) then I'll have dinner at one of the monorail resorts around 5:30 ot 6:00 so I still have plenty of time to take in MK.

Our dining is planned around EMH, always.

Joannelet
01-27-2010, 11:07 AM
hi - newbie here - and I am working out all the abbreviations...but I am REALLY stuck on this one...ADR? :blush:

Thanks!

Advanced dining reservations.
I think there is a thread somewhere with abbreviations. I know I've been on here for quite sometime and there are some that I have no clue what people are talking about LOL
Welcome to intercot by the way!!!

Back to the thread: it also depends on when there are EMH and if you want to take advantage of those too. Since your children are a little older you may benefit from using evening extra magic hours. Crowds with little children thin out early on those nights.

Jeniflower
01-27-2010, 11:13 AM
We generally go MK first day Epcot 2nd Day and then go with the flow. If your reservations are form breakfast or dinner its easier particularly if you have a park hopper ticket as you can go to one park then another, but other than that plan them round your ADR's

DisneyOtaku
01-27-2010, 11:14 AM
I usually plan around the operating hours. We like to hit two parks a day (one in the morning, a nice rest at the hotel, then back to another park that night!). Since we stay on-site, we go with the EMH--more so in the mornings than at night, but we do. We then pick our dining from around that :-)

SBETigg
01-27-2010, 11:28 AM
We use a few things to determine which parks on which days.

Our first day is always MK/Epcot. Our last day (or last two) are MK/Epcot or Epcot/MK. No matter what. After that:

First, the traditional "Which parks are busiest on which days" chart. Times have changed and EMH makes this a lot less reliable, but it still helps. When to Visit (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/weather/whentovisit.asp).

Next, we plan to hit the park that had an evening EMH the night before-- this park is almost always low crowds the next morning.

Or, sometimes, we try to get up early to hit the AM EMH park and then hop to a different park before noon.

Occasionally, we will take advantage of Evening EMH in the later hours, but usually not long before regular closing and only if we have the energy to stay late.

Our plan works well for us, but it involves hopping. We like to hop and typically do two parks a day with a break in between. I usually plan our meals around our park plans (but that's tough with the 180) to cut down on running around.

mouseketeer mom
01-27-2010, 11:39 AM
We always do MK on the first day, Epcot on the second. We fill in the rest of the trip with whatever pleases our fancy. However, we do plan our evening park around our ADR's. We do not go to the parks from opening until close, so we don't pay attention to park hours very much. We've definitely relaxed our park planning over the years.

Ms. Mode
01-27-2010, 12:21 PM
MK first :mickey:

darthmacho
01-27-2010, 03:08 PM
I like to do come up with an itinerary, and I'm doing that right now for our August trip. As soon as the August hours are out, I'll finalize them, but I tend to gravitate towards a schedule as follows, and it is based on personal preference rather than practicality, which may work against me at times. Nonetheless, this is how I generally look at an ideal trip, of say 10 days, and once the activities are decided, we plug in the restaurants...

1. Travel day, check in and explore the resort. No parks!
2. Always start with Magic Kingdom, go early and stay as long as you can stand it.
3. Something leisurely, like a water park, to recover, and this is a good day to visit an old favorite, the Wilderness Lodge, for dinner.
4. Animal Kingdom or Disney Studios.
5. Epcot, late start, World Showcase, Fireworks
6. Epcot, early start, Future World, World Showcase mop up if we missed anything
7. Return to MK, late start, stay for fireworks if up for it.
8. Animal kingdom or Disney Studios, which ever is left.
9. A free day to hit whatever we've missed, maybe some shopping, lots of winding down and exploring?
10. Departure day, check out and No Parks!

That's the gist of how I approach things at WDW... :mickey:

Good luck to you deciding.

pirateyankee80
01-27-2010, 05:48 PM
:) We figure people who have never gone to WDW start at MK so I would avoid that on weekends. We usually go to AK or DHS, EPCOT and hit MK in the middle of the week. Start at the bottom of the “must do” list and work your way up. Try to avoid what everyone else does! :confused:Good luck with that one. Also heard to work your way around the parks in a CC way, as in, once you go into the park work your way around from left to right to avoid the crowds once your in the park.

bruin1344
01-27-2010, 08:00 PM
I mainly plan around EMH. I avoid all park that have EMH AM and PM except EMH PM at MK. All the parks are crowded on those days. I only like EMH PM at MK because crowds thin out as night goes on, MK is beautiful at night, and there are a lot attractions still open.

Genie1953
01-27-2010, 09:57 PM

Thanks!

Here you go.....link to abbreviations:
http://http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/abbreviations/default.asp//www.intercot.com/infocentral/abbreviations/default.asp (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/abbreviations/default.asp)

Tink#64
01-27-2010, 11:44 PM
My first step is to plan which parks which day! Typically we start with MK, then Epcot FW, & then fill the rest. But this year we'll be starting with Epcot as it will be a big crowd day at MK on our first park day (special event). We always end with MK! I avoid the AM EMH park, as I expect BIG crowds & assume that any of the other parks will be less crowded that AM! (We also do not do PM EMH, as we've waited in long lines, that during regular operating hours, we were able to just walk right on!) Once I have my park days, then I choose my restaurants & go online & make my adr's. If you do this as close as possible to your 180 day mark, you usually can get very close to your initial first choices. This year, I was around 160'ish day mark & I got eveything that I wanted in adr's with only a few slight time changes. But, I'm super OCD, so I have even done a mental walk thru of our daily itenerary to decide what time to schedule lunch or dinner! LOL :blush: You may not be nearly as neurotic as some of us! :blush:

It's really not that hard, just deciding which parks what days (consulting the calendar of park hours & events is a huge help in that process). You may be trying to get into a very popular restaurant & you may decide that just being able to get in is more important than what day & time & you may plan the rest of your itenerary around that adr! I think being a little flexible makes it way less stressful! If you book your adr's online, you will be prompted with an alternate time if the time slot that you chose isn't available. Good Luck & Happy Planning! :tink:

ANG
01-28-2010, 07:24 AM
We always plan around 4 things: EX. Magic Hrs., shows, weather (never go to Epcot or AK when it rains cause they have the least coverings), and where we want to eat.

disneykid@hrt
01-28-2010, 05:19 PM
If possible, try to avoid MK afternoons and on weekends. It just seems to always be busier then. Sunday Night EMH's aren't too bad though. I think making late lunch/ early dinner ressies make things easier, so that you don't feel so trapped by your ADRs.

Goofy Texan
01-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Disney trips are expensive and for my family far between. I want to get the most out of them. Just "winging" it doesn't work for us, because I'm afraid I'll get to the end of the week not having done a lot of what I wanted to do. For someone who goes a lot, my level of planning probably is over kill. Anyhow...

My favorite planning option is "the grid". I use the backs of old business cards, but you can also use a spreadsheet or post-it notes. It works like this:

Put each day of your vacation on a card (one card for monday, one for tuesday, etc). Also on the card list the opening, closing and EMH for each park that day. Spread these out in a row.

Next make out a card for each section of a day and meal: breakfast, morning, lunch, afternoon, dinner, evening, and late night. Place these one below the other down the left side.

Next make out a card for each timed thing you already have scheduled or don't want to miss. This includes your ADR's, parades, shows (only things with limited showings like Fantasmic).

Next make out cards to represent your park time. For example, I like to spend 1 morning and 1 evening in each park -minimum. So I'll make out at least 2 cards for each park. Also make out a few cards for resting - or I'll forget to include that. :)

Now it's time to layout the grid. This part is both fun and frustrating! First, take the cards with set times (ADR's) and put those on the grid. For example, if you have an ADR on Tuesday for Dinner at the Studios, place that card under Tuesday in the "Dinner" row.

Now layout the remaining cards. Use the advice you got in earlier posts and your own preferences (no park hopping, no early EMH, whatever) and come up with an initial plan. Add additional cards as needed to fill in the grid.

Lastly, look your plan over for problem spots. Do you have an early morning after a late night? Do you really want to be in a park from morning EMH to evening EMH? Your first plan won't be your final. Shuffle things around, take some things out, beg your significant other for more days and so on. Be sure to leave some time unscheduled (I use an "open" card). That way you'll have time to redo favorites or fit in a must do that got canceled due to tired, sickness or weather.

Oh, and be sure to take a photo of your grid every now and then so you won't lose everything is someone turns on the ceiling fan!

Good luck with your planning. :thumbsup:

AdventurerKim
01-29-2010, 05:43 PM
We avoid EMH mornings and go to the park not having A.M. EMH on that day. We usually avoid MK on the weekends dur to higher crowds from our exprience.

kemps@wdw
01-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Our park of choice IS determined by our ADRs. Where ever we have ressies, that is the park we go to, in the AM or PM. Park-hopping is a given. And we DO NOT attend the park w/the EMHs. We just make sure we're @ our chosen park @ rope drop and we rarely have delays or long wait times.

Kathy Jetson
01-30-2010, 12:28 AM
We do not park hop we go to whatever park as evening emh and get there around 10:00-10:30am and stay till park closing.:cloud9:

CzepielCrew
01-30-2010, 09:01 AM
Up until now, I have always planned the parks around dining, but I would love to try it a different way. Lots of running

ddcrna
01-30-2010, 09:25 AM
My plan revolves around hitting morning EMH. You can get quite a bit accomplished in that 1-hour, especially at MK. We tend to also hit parks that had evening EMH the night before.

We actually avoid morning EMH because it just seems to make the park more crowded all day. Going the morning after evening EMH is an interesting idea that we have never thought of - may have to give that a try.....

Iluvpooh
01-30-2010, 01:08 PM
MK first and MK last and the others days are whichever bus pulls up first. no joke!

Touchdown
01-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Basically its a method of elmination we usually go for 7 days we need:
-2 days at the MK
-2 days at Epcot
-1 morning at AK
-1 morning at BB
-1 afternoon at TL
-2 evenings at MGM for Fantasmic

We prefer:
-To have our CP breakfast on EMH morning day at MK
-Go to evening EMH at MK
-Go to evening EMH at Epcot
-Go to morning EMH at AK

With that in mind I look at the hours start plugging in possibilities and usually on the first try come up with a fantastic schedule.

SillySymphony
01-30-2010, 08:13 PM

This one technique, more than any other, offers you the least anxiety-ridden touring. AM EMH are the closest thing to the now-defunct 'E-Ride Nights' offered at MK a decade ago. If you're looking to people watch and just hangout, then PM EMH might be okay, but they certainly don't allow for much attraction enjoyment (translation: everyone is there). don't forget to take breaks...

luvdiznee
01-30-2010, 08:22 PM
We take into consideration dining and emh when planning park days. And as posted, no MK on or near weekend. :mickey:

biodtl
01-30-2010, 10:04 PM
I am one of the few that LOVES night time EMH...even if I can't get alot of rides in, I love the atmosphere of the parks at night!
Me too! No matter what park I am in during the day & early evening, you will pretty much always find me in the park with evening EMH - the later I can stay, the better!

Touchdown
01-30-2010, 10:48 PM
Ive had great success with night EMH, at least when it comes to the MK and Epcot. MGM was horrible (not nearly enough rides) but there is so much to do at the original two parks that you can get a lot accomplished in 3 hours, provided you know how to do it. See the thing is those night EMHs are pretty crowded at least for the 1st hour, but then things really start to thin out.

At Epcot, position yourself to be near Soarin when you set up for Illuminations, then as soon as that is over high tail it there, you shouldnt have to wait more then 20 minutes. After that, go back to World Showcase (doing JIYIwF if you wish) and make a loop, enjoy the shops, and rides because there will be absolutly no one there. Ive had some great conversation with CMs who otherwise are bored out of their minds manning those shops.

Once EMH is about half over, head back to Future World, check how long the waits are for Test Track and Mission Space, if they are still too long head to the Seas or SE, then try again sometime before midnight those lines should get less then 20 minutes.

The MK you again do the same thing, everyone and their mother is going to go to Tomorrowland after Wishes, dont, do some high capacity rides instead for the first hour, by hour two, the mountains should have 15 minutes (Space) or most likely a walk on (Splash and BTMRR.) Usually at the end of the night I end up in Fantasyland where there is no one, and that is the only time where I will ride Dumbo and the Carousel.

RAIDER
01-31-2010, 02:14 AM
We normally have planned it out beforehand .
But if we were to change our plans it would soley be down to the weather .
So if it was very likely to rain then we would opt for Epcot or DHS as mainly most of the attractions are indoors :thumbsup:

LoriMistress
01-31-2010, 04:07 PM
I use this site, as well as many other websites that I use to help assist me on my planning of our vacation. I use TGM (some people like it, and some people don't). So far, using TGM has been a life saver for us.