PDA

View Full Version : Crayola Factory?

mjaclyn
01-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Has anyone been to the Crayola Factory? DH and I are thinking about taking our DD 3 yrs and DS 9 mos. I know our 9 month old obviously will not be able to do anything but will our DD 3yrs be able to do the projects? I went there once years ago before I had children but I really don't remember what kind of things they have to do there. Also, we live about 2 hours away so we'd have to eat there. Does the Crayola Factory offer any food options or is there anything nearby?

TiggeRia
01-27-2010, 09:44 AM
I live in Easton, but haven't been to the Crayola Factory in years. From looking briefly at their website, it looks like there are tons of activities that your DD3 will be able to do. There seems to be a lot to keep them busy! I didn't see anything there about dining options at the place itself, but Easton is full of places to eat...what kind of place are you looking for?

TiggeRia
01-27-2010, 09:45 AM
Oops, just read this on their website:

"Food Services

A McDonald’s® Express Restaurant with a group lunchroom is available on a limited basis. Reservations for the group dining room are necessary. A separate payment is required for the purchase of McDonald’s food. Please call McDonald’s at (610)258–9603 one week prior to your reservation with your food order, if applicable. No outside food allowed."

diz_girl
01-27-2010, 11:06 AM
First off, the Crayola factory really isn't part of the real factory, it's a 'Discovery Center'. It has a lot of hands-on exhibits where kids paint and draw, use molding putty and other stuff. The admission price also gives you entrance to the National Canal Museum, which is located on the two floors above the factory. The Canal Museum also has hands-on exhibits. A parking garage is right next to the factory, so you should be able to park close by.

I was there in September with my DS2 and we had a lot of fun. We went during the week in the afternoon and it was not crowded at all. We were also there last February during President's Day weekend and it was insane. It was so bad that we just went into the store and didn't even go into the factory. So I'd recommend going there during the week and avoid weekends, school holidays and school breaks. But they close at 3 during the week, so it might be best to go in the morning. You might want to call them ahead of time to see if there will be any school groups visiting when you want to be there.

As for food, there is just the McDonald's on-site. I think that there is also a brown bag lunchroom that is open from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., but reservations are required and there is a fee.

However, you are smack in the middle of downtown Easton, so there are a few places around to eat once you leave the building, including a Dunkin' Donuts across the street if you need a coffee fix. I think that you get a sticker or something else to wear on your clothes that allows you to leave and re-enter the building, since you have to go outside the factory building to get to the factory store. So you should be able to leave the factory to go out to lunch, just take off your stickers and put them in a safe place that you will remember so you don't lose them. But you could do everything in the factory in about 3 hours, which you could do before lunch if you get there when it opens.

mjaclyn
01-27-2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks so much!! We're going to try to be there right when it opens at 9:30am to try and beat any crowds that might be coming. I figure school groups would probably come a little later than that since Elementary school doesn't start until 9am right? As for eating, we'd just be looking for someplace close to have lunch that is kid friendly. I wonder why they would charge you to bring your own lunch? That's kind of annoying... if you're going to have to pay I'd just assume give my money to a local restaurant to make lunch for me lol. Any good suggestions on a place close by for lunch that wouldn't mind having young kids? We're about two hours away so I'm sure we'll need to eat before heading back home.