PDA

View Full Version : Cinderella Castle/Moat Refurb Update

Buttercup
01-26-2010, 06:16 PM
January 26, 2010... Lots of good news!
I just read on another site that most of the waterways throughout the Magic Kingdom have been refilled with water. :thumbsup:
The only exception is a small area directly around the castle where they've made a dam to hold back the water while they work on the lower portions of the castle.
These lower areas of the castle (I mean, really low down by the water's edge) have a painted scrim around them covering scaffolding, etc. but apparently they're hard to notice from most angles. :thumbsup:
Also a new bridge connecting the Crystal Palace area to Adventureland was installed, along with a general cleanup of the waterways. :thumbsup:
My guess is work will be continuing upwards on the castle, with that 25-foot scrim being put up soon.

Iluvpooh
01-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks so much for the update. I was really worried about my DDs 5&6 seeing the moat empty.

mouseketeer mom
01-26-2010, 07:34 PM
When is the refurbishment done????

Buttercup
01-26-2010, 09:46 PM
When is the refurbishment done????
The 'official' completion date is March 25, 2010.
If you google "Cinderella Castle Scrim" you'll easily find photos that are regularly updated of the refurb going on. :)

DisneyPrincess21
01-27-2010, 12:49 AM
I just saw the pictures of the scrim and was pleasently surprised, it doesnt look as bad as i was picturing, in fact it wasnt bad at all. I am excited they filled the moats back up.

:minnie:Only 24 days till i leave for the happiest place on earth:minnie:

braindew
01-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Also a new bridge connecting the Crystal Palace area to Adventureland was installed

I would love to see pictures of this...but can't find any. I thought at first this would not affect us...but it might come handy trying to escape the park before/during a parade.

Iluvpooh
01-27-2010, 02:30 PM
I thought there had always been a bridge there.:confused:

Altair
01-27-2010, 02:52 PM
I thought there had always been a bridge there.:confused:

Does "new" bridge mean an extra one or does it mean replacing the old bridge?:mickey:

KylesMom
01-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Does "new" bridge mean an extra one or does it mean replacing the old bridge? That was my thought - I'd bet it is a refurbished bridge, as there was always a bridge there, just to the left of the exit of CP when you are facing the castle. It brought you out to the Adventureland artery.

Lynn J Mc
01-27-2010, 03:55 PM
It could be worse. You could be going when the castle looked like a birthday cake!:ack:

Buttercup
01-27-2010, 08:46 PM
There is already a bridge from the Crystal Palace area to sort-of outside the 'entrance' of Adventureland. But it looks like their *could* be space for a new one if it came out right near the Swiss Family Treehouse.
Hmmm... I can't find any information on whether or not it's an additional bridge, or just a replacement.

DigitalDaredevil
01-29-2010, 05:14 AM
I enjoyed the Birthday Cake. Maybe because it was my first visit to WDW. I much rather have the castle as is though.

Patricia
02-02-2010, 10:34 AM
It's a replacement bridge.. the covers where off while I was there and it looks to be similar to what it was.

BigThunderFan
02-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Definitely just replacing the prior bridge. The castle looked great when we were there, you really had to look to find something to complain about.

MegaDisney
02-02-2010, 02:17 PM
It could be worse. You could be going when the castle looked like a birthday cake!:ack:

I enjoyed the Birthday Cake Castle!

I find the WDW castle to be overwhelmingly large, "The Castle that ate Main Street" It is so large that the forced perspective that you see in Disneyland (the illusion that the castle is far far off in the distance) is missing at WDW.

Ian
02-05-2010, 07:02 AM
Does "new" bridge mean an extra one or does it mean replacing the old bridge?:mickey:From what I saw, it looks like they just replaced the old one because it's in the same location as it was before.

As far as the Castle goes, you could really not even notice they were working on it. It didn't affect our trip one iota.

eandrsmom
02-12-2010, 09:47 AM
I liked the big, pink birthday cake castle. It was there for our honeymmon, so it brings back fond memories. I even have a resin replica of it.

SBETigg
02-12-2010, 09:59 AM
I enjoyed the Birthday Cake Castle!

I find the WDW castle to be overwhelmingly large, "The Castle that ate Main Street" It is so large that the forced perspective that you see in Disneyland (the illusion that the castle is far far off in the distance) is missing at WDW.

I think the forced perspective of WDW making the castle look much larger than it is is a far better testament to Walt and WDW advancements over DL. The DL castle looks so lacking in comparison, to me.

I didn't know they did it to look like it was way off in the distance. That's not good, to me, because then you're right up on it, and hm, still small. If they wanted a castle "in the distance" shouldn't they have just put it in the distance? But when it's the centerpiece of the park and the remaining areas feel like the village and main street leading to it, ah, so much better! I think most people would agree that they prefer it to look appropriately grand. It's supposed to be the glorious centerpiece-- and it doesn't eat Main Street at all to me. But this is all off topic.

MegaDisney
02-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Forced Perspective is where objects closer to you are larger, and farther away are smaller.

There is no forced perspective in place at WDW in regards to the Castle, the castle at WDW is over-sized and does not fit the scale of the rest of the park, IMHO.

They do use forced perspective in the buildings on Main Street. The ground floors are full scale and each level after that is slightly smaller.

Ian
02-12-2010, 04:08 PM
I think it depends what park is your "home" park.

I know the first time I went to DL I was sort of like, "That's it?" when I saw Sleeping Beauty's Castle.

After spending some time there, though, I've come to feel like it fits DL's small size more appropriately than WDW's would.

But I've never once thought that WDW's castle was too large at all. Personally, I think it's perfect. When you stand at the other end of Main Street and look up the castle is nearly perfectly framed in your view. Any smaller and it wouldn't work right.