PDA

View Full Version : Hoop Dee Doo

wdwluv
01-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Is it as good as my books say it is?

Is it worth paying for the best seats?

My husband rolled his eyes at the clip in the Disney Vacation planning DVD...but my books say it's the best dinner show?!

Unlimitedfun
01-26-2010, 05:37 PM
We absolutely loved it! The food was fantastic, and there was so much of it!!! We had the seats that you get with the dining plan, (2 table services) and couldn't have asked for a better view. We're hoping to do it again this fall!

caryrae
01-26-2010, 05:43 PM
We did it once a few trips ago and had a great time. We had seats in the upper level and it was actually a great view of the stage and the area below. During one part of the show they went to different tables and asked people where they were from and sang a song about it and one person came to us, it was fun. The food was actually pretty good. It may be a corny little show but it was fun. We would do it again.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Yes, it is a wonderful time! We've been three times, and will go back for sure on our next trip.

As for paying for the seats, you'll get a variety of answers. For us, we've been twice right up front against the stage, and loved it. We were further back last time (on the DDP seats) and we still liked it, but for us, we'll pay for the seats right up front.

Either way though, you'll really enjoy the show :thumbsup:

gerald72
01-26-2010, 07:10 PM
I thought it was alright, not as good as everyone says. We were on the ddp, but went to the later show and our seats were against the stage and dead center.
The food was good and plentiful, but my ds6 wanted to leave before it was over. Maybe because it was the later show. He did get to ring the bell before everyone entered the building, though.

ILoveMickey'77
01-26-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm not a huge fan of shows, but I thought it was a lot of fun. I actually think we'll return one day. I thought the food was so-so, about average for Disney food.

We sat in the balcony and had great seats. I hope that we'll sit there for future shows.

disneydad153
01-26-2010, 08:13 PM
We went in 2006 and enjoyed the show very much. Have been a total of 3 times so far since 1988. We plan on doing it again in Nov of this year. Its just a fun time.:mickey:

retiredfigment
01-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Something to experience at least once. If you love it, you will want to go again. We've been twice.

Belster
01-27-2010, 01:08 AM
We also thought it was so-so. The food was good!! I think it was hard because my small kids could not last the full 2 hours...may have been poor planning on my part.

I would say to do it at least once.

mdhiggin
01-27-2010, 07:50 AM
We did this several years ago, and it was so fun. FIL was chosen to go onstage. He had to put on a tutu and wings and spin around like a fairy. He is probably 300 lbs, and he did it so well. He even grabbed the redhead on stage and pretended to kiss her (off script) in front of everyone. They actually wanted him to come back for another performance. Too funny! Planning to return in September with my Mom and family this time.

biodtl
01-27-2010, 10:14 AM
It's definitely worth it. Sure, it's corny, but there is a big difference between watching a clip online and being there in person. It's fun for people of all ages, too.

mickeymousedabomb
01-27-2010, 10:42 AM
We just did this for the first time in November for Thanksgiving dinner the 9:30 show. We planned to do this with friends that were in WDW the same time and we got to sit together. We thought it was worth going to and using the 2 dining credits. We had good seats and the performers walked around close to our table and the kids got a kick out of how the food was brought to the table, and we thought it was really good...........the corn bread was delicious! We've also been to the Spirit of Aloha for a T-Day dinner and enjoyed it as well. A great way to make holiday memories! I think you'll enjoy the show, they are quite comical!

HoosierDisneyFan
01-27-2010, 09:16 PM
I have gone twice. Once with my wife and 12 year son. We sat on the floor (but not in Cat 1). Good view and the family loved the food. My son loved the corny jokes. Even thought he is a picky eater, he found plenty to his liking.

I went a second time with my 60+ year old mother and we sat in the balcony. She really enjoyed that show and loved the food. I would say I refered the ground floor seating but the balcony was fine.

I would agree with a previous post that said that you need to go (at least) once. Many people love it and go back year after year.

rubato
01-29-2010, 09:56 AM
We just returned. My 10 year old son loved it! He was laughing and smiling the whole time. Hubby and I thought it was funny, but super corny!

Food wasn't so good. Just passable. The sangria wasn't very good either. But, that may just be my personal taste.

Here's my one big problem. I paid OOP for category 1 and booked the moment my time opened up which was 90 days back then. I called right when the phone lines opened up. Well, it turns out that I got the very first table for 4. It was horrible. It was right next to the piano with limited visibility. Table 25. So, the manager told us that we actually should have waited a little while to book. He showed us the other tables for 4. I recommend 44. It seemed to have the best view.

DizneyRox
01-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Here's my one big problem. I paid OOP for category 1 and booked the moment my time opened up which was 90 days back then. I called right when the phone lines opened up. Well, it turns out that I got the very first table for 4. It was horrible. It was right next to the piano with limited visibility. Table 25. So, the manager told us that we actually should have waited a little while to book. He showed us the other tables for 4. I recommend 44. It seemed to have the best view.
You would think they would assign tables based on view (IT IS A TIERED MEAL) instead of something obscure like table number. Way to go Disney!

Simple solution, re-number the tables. The only one's who care are the wait staff, and I'm sure they can cope with it. Many have been there a number of years I'm sure learning a new table number wouldn't put them back too far.

Generally speaking, the Hoop Dee Doo is a fantastic show/meal. Sure it's chicken and ribs, but usually it's very good and the show can put a smile on anyone's face.

pox24
01-29-2010, 02:25 PM
Don't miss it!:thumbsup:

homeschool mom
01-29-2010, 02:43 PM
DH and I went when we went without our kids in April '09. It was our first time and we loved it. We can't wait to go back and take our kids to see it! The show was great as well as the food. I had asked the same question on here before our trip and got pretty much the same responses you have gotten. We had seets on the upper level and they were great. Don't know that I would pay extra to sit right in the front. I thought the view from above was great and some of the actors even came upstairs where we were able to get close up pics of them.

d_m_n_n
01-30-2010, 04:27 PM
HDD is absolutely the corniest show I've ever seen...and totally worth it! We (myself, DH and DSs 12 and 8) went for the second time in December and enjoyed it just as much as the first (DH was chosen to participate...because he was flirting with one of the actresses....that'll teach him!). It is a very popular show, so make reservations early...I got online at 90 days out (the limit at the time) and was only able to get Tier 3 seating. I was initially disappointed, but it really turned out to be fine!

We will definitely go again, but probably in a few years. The jokes don't change and we remembered most of them from the last time.

disneygirl87
01-30-2010, 06:51 PM
We did this a few years ago and had seats that were pretty good. The show is hilarious and the food is great. As for paying for the good seats, other than being farther away from the stage, you'll be getting essentially the same view as everyone else. Hope this helps!

wdwluv
02-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks SOOOO very much for your input everyone!! Sounds like the majority would put this on the to do list for at least one time.

THANK YOU!:mickey:

kemps@wdw
02-01-2010, 11:11 PM
We first saw this show in 1980 and have NOT missed it on ANY of our trips to the World! (and as you can see by my signature, that's alot). The food has always been good and very plentiful, the show is wonderfully corny and relatively unchanged, and we still love it. We've had all 3 seating levels, and have never had a bad view. We have had our family members in the show a couple of times, had our anniversary dance each year w/the rest of those celebrating theirs, had Dolly sit on my DH's lap and sing to him, and all the times we've been, have never had a bad experience! The HDDMR is one show we will not miss on our future "Worldly" travels. :cloud9:

wdwluv
02-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Thank you thank you thank you everyone!

And WOW kemps@wdw!!! I hope I am blessed enough to have a signature like yours someday! :mickey: