PDA

View Full Version : Cabins at Fort Wilderness

Ms. Mode
01-26-2010, 02:18 PM
Has anyone stayed at the cabins at Fort Wilderness? I was looking at a resort map and couldn't find them, where are they located in regard to the lodge?

Also, I noticed you have private parking...does that mean you have to take your car to get back to the lodge?

KylesMom
01-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground is a totally different resort than Wilderness Lodge . . . I think that's what's confusing you!

Ft. Wilderness Campground (http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/maps/images/fwcg07.JPG)

Wilderness Lodge (http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/maps/images/wlodge07.JPG)

wdwluv
01-26-2010, 04:03 PM
I'd love to hear reviews. I just changed my Dec. 2010 reservation to All Star Music Family Suite for our party of 6 because I was worried it would be too small with our 3 adults (3 kids)

KylesMom
01-26-2010, 04:07 PM
I'd love to hear reviews. I just changed my Dec. 2010 reservation to All Star Music Family Suite for our party of 6 because I was worried it would be too small with our 3 adults (3 kids) You'll probably get many more responses if you post in the Disney Camping forum - that's where you'll find the most information on the cabins.

Goes4FastPass
01-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Lots of discussion of the cabins on Intercot under the Disney Camping topic.

We changed ASMFasSte to FW Cabin out last stay.

Cabins are great in many ways:
Stand alone building
Park at your door
Deck with a picnic table and grill at each cabin
Full kitchen
Dble bed and 2 adult sz bunks in BR
Dbl bed size murphy bed in LR
Great themed pool with kids splash zone
Campfire every night with Chip & Dale and a movie
Boat to MK
Stables
Hoop dee doo Review

What's not so great:
FW is very spread out - must use FW busses to get around or rent a golf cart.

We are cabiners now. Staying in a FW cabin again in March.

FW cabins are a different thing. Put the kids to bed. Fire up the grill. Cook steaks as big as your head. Beer's in the fridge. Load the dishwasher. Housekeeping will run it while you're out.

If you Google something like disney fort wilderness cabins photos you find pics and more.

I didn't think we were cook while on vacation people but grandpa making bacon and eggs while everyone else gets dressed and organized is swell.

TammiMcMan
01-26-2010, 06:13 PM
We've stayed in the cabins a few times and there are definite advantages. I like having a separate sleeping area and when our kids were smaller, DH and I could stay up in the living room while they settled down. The kitchen is an added plus and you get full daily housekeeping. The first day, I was pleasantly surprised to come back to the cabin and someone had put our dishes into the dishwasher and had it running :thumbsup: . The location is still close enough to the MK that transportation is easy and you get to see the fireworks and nightly electric water parade. On the flip side, when you go back to the campground, you're away from the crowds and noise. Best of both worlds IMO.

I know the property map was linked above, but here's the link to our FW page http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/fortwilderness/default.asp . It shows the layout of the cabins and all that FW has to offer.

mrskooting
02-10-2010, 01:18 AM
we are first timers at wdw and we're visiting this coming may 2010! we originally wanted to stay at the cabins of ft wilderness but there's 7 of us so when i called, they said that they won't be able to fit all of us so they suggested to get a villa! the max occupants of ft wilderness cabin is 6. the price is pretty reasonable too compared to other villas/studio rooms. there's 7 of us and 3 are kids but they said that they have to follow the fire code law so they won't allow 7 to fit in the cabin. when we get to check-in at any wdw hotels, do they really make a headcount of all the people who are checking in? is it dangerous to sneak in one person? :secret:any insights on this? thanks so much!

Rekenna
02-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Jumping on this thread....

Are discounts offered on Cabins when discounts come out for resort stays? I wasn't sure if typically discounts are only for "traditional" resort rooms and not Cabins.

Thanks!:mickey:

wdwfansince75
02-10-2010, 09:19 AM
First the sermon.....Never ask an Intercotee for permission to cheat!

Not sure how closely they monitor room head count, but on one trip, some of our family were staying at Shades of Green, and some at the CR. The kids switched rooms one night, so cousins could stay with cousins, and we were asked by housekeeping how many were in each room. They smile, but they count!
As for tips...The Rules are clear....6 people in a cabin. While I think the answer would be "No", if one of the kids is under 2, and can sleep in a Pak-n-Play, you may want to ask if that would allow you to have 7 in a cabin, with a Pak-n-Play.

Villas hold more. Or two rooms at a moderate can hold 8. Gives you 2 bathrooms....Moderates are great. Nice pools, at least one table service location...Buses to the parks...
May discounts for Moderates are available (save 35% on room reservations), and a more honest way to save a few bucks.
Also note that when staying on site, your tickets may be on your room key. Unless one is under 2, Tickets are not transferable, so if you have 6 room keys, only 6 of you can use the tickets....12 and over use adult tickets, and 11 and younger use kids tickets...Under 2 do not need tickets.
Also, you need a room key to take advantage of Extra Magic Hours.

TammiMcMan
02-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Just noting a Moderator Alert to please keep discussion within the guidelines of INTERCOT's terms of service. That includes not discussing how to cheat the system.

Thank you.

Goes4FastPass
02-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Villas cost a lot.

You said you are 7 people and 3 are kids.

If money is an issue AND you can split into 2 rooms you may want to consider that. That would open your options to all classes of resorts at WDW.

If you think about splitting remember you can REQUEST connecting rooms - and WDW will try to do that - but you can't be SURE to have connecting rooms so you'll need to be able to have adults in both rooms.

Frankly, it irks me that phone agents happily chirp "seven people means villa" when 2BR villas (which is the 7 person size villa) cost as much per night as 5 rooms at a value resort.

Depending on your group you could split across a family suite and a regular room at All Star Music and have tons of beds, 3 bathrooms and still come out cheaper than a 2 BR villa.

Non-villa room combos have compromises - no full kitchen for example. You'll be staying in basically 2 motel rooms instead of a 2 BR apartment but there are "legal" alternatives for staying at WDW with 7 people and "first timers" should know about them.

Goes4FastPass
02-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Jumping on this thread....

Are discounts offered on Cabins when discounts come out for resort stays? I wasn't sure if typically discounts are only for "traditional" resort rooms and not Cabins.

Thanks!:mickey:

Hello Jumper,
FW cabins are included in discounts. We're staying ina FWcabin next month under the buy 4 get 3 free special.

Patricia
02-10-2010, 04:35 PM
I decided to check out the cabins on this last trip, we were let in to look around.. and personally I think it would be tight for 6 people, unless half of you are children. They are not very big and even the furniture seemed scaled down to a smaller size.

That said, I really like Fort WIlderness and would definitely consider a cabin in the future as we prefer not to eat out and would use the kitchen and BBQ a lot. I also like that you don't share the walls and have a patio and your car out front. :)

mrskooting, Welcome to Intercot. As you are new here and to WDW, I'll try to help answer your question.

Aside from needing to all be accounted for for your park passes and extra magic hours, I don't think a little cabin with one bathroom, and one bedroom would be very comfortable with 4 adults and 3 children. You'd be on top of each other all the time. Also, the number is set by a fire marshall at 6 for safety reasons. We all want you to be safe. :mickey:

If you were caught (and it's likely with a park pass purchase) and had to leave, you may risk not finding appropriate accommodations for the rest of your stay. It's really not worth the stress of worrying about that while on vacation.

If villas are not an affordable option and you want a kitchen and have a car, there are plenty of off site condo style accommodations (1-3 bedrooms) at reasonable prices that would be suitable for your group size. If you check an off site option be sure to include any extra charges such as parking at the resort, resort fees and park parking which is $14 a day for the Disney theme parks. You will also forfeit having Extra Magic hours, which isn't a concern to some people.

I would highly recommend All Star Vacation Homes (http://www.allstarvacationhomes.com/?gclid=CInv-PHd6J8CFQoVawodIU65WQ) for off site lodging. They offer homes with pools and condos.

There are other good suggestions to 'on site' alternatives listed above.