PDA

View Full Version : Poly - Free upgrades?

minnie-mouse
01-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Has anyone asked for any free upgrades upon check in and actually received one? Or was anyone ever upgraded at Poly without requesting?

SBETigg
01-24-2010, 06:07 PM
It happens, but it's pretty rare. It hasn't happened to me at the Poly. I did get a view upgrade at the GF once, but I didn't ask for it.

Polynesian Dweller
01-24-2010, 06:33 PM
From my hotelier background I can say it is always OK to ask for an upgrade but it is not a good idea to ask for a free one. That's a good way to not get one at all. Upgrades are always given for the business reasons of the hotel. If you get one it will be because of that. If you look like you are trying to get something you didn't pay for the hotel is far less likely to give it to you.

DisneyorBust
01-25-2010, 05:29 AM
We have received a couple of upgrades from the Poly, both were Magic Kingdom views. We didn't ask either time.

Bubbie Girl
01-29-2010, 10:49 PM
We recieved an upgrade to Magic Kingdom View last time we stayed at the Poly and we did not ask for it. As I remember when we checked in she said this must be your lucky day you get an upgrade from Garden view to MK view. It was wonderful. It definately added to our magical day:mickey:

JoDisney
01-30-2010, 09:44 AM
I would not ever ask. If I receive an upgrade, I thank Disney for their kindness.

TheRustyScupper
01-30-2010, 02:53 PM
1) read the posts here.
2) As you can see, it happens all the time. :(

Polynesian Dweller
01-30-2010, 03:40 PM
I would not ever ask. If I receive an upgrade, I thank Disney for their kindness.

By all means ask. As I said earlier, it's always ok and as Rusty says it happens all the time. Just try to not look like you want something for nothing. A good way is just to ask "Is there a chance of an upgrade?" Don't ask for a free upgrade though it often will be.

DisneyMomx7
01-30-2010, 04:15 PM
We received a free upgrade at the Poly from a gv to a TPV room. Never asked, wouldn't think of it. We were celebrating my DH's 50th birthday, but I'm not sure if that's why we got it or we were just super lucky!

PixieMagic
01-30-2010, 05:15 PM
We've never asked, but on our honeymoon we were surprised at Poly and upgraded from GV to GVC :minnie: It was the most amazing experience and totally spoiled us...but for now we'll have to stick to paying for GV ... at least until we wait longer between vacations! :thumbsup:

LynneM
01-30-2010, 06:25 PM
If you read about upgrades on this or any other Disney board, you'll see that virtually everyone who talks about getting one mentions how surprised they were....meaning, they didn't ask.

If you come right out and ask for a free upgrade, you're very unlikely to get one, even if they're available. I've seen posts from more than one front desk CM saying that they find it offensive, and that they flat-out won't give an upgrade to someone who asks for a free one.

About the only thing you can do is ask "how much would it cost to upgrade to X?". That leaves the option open for the CM to offer a free upgrade, or a reduced cost upgrade, if available. They're not always able to do that, so be prepared to be quoted the full price difference.

renecat
02-02-2010, 02:14 PM
We were given an upgrad at the GF a few years ago. They just told us as we were checking in. You have been upgraded from a garden view to a lagoon view.

CaptSmee
02-02-2010, 03:13 PM
1) read the posts here.
2) As you can see, it happens all the time. :(

we have stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge 4 times, everytime we booked a standard view room, everytime we received a savannah view room. at the Contemporary we were upgraded from a garden room, to a tower room. we have never asked, but certainly enjoyed being upgraded!

TheVBs
02-03-2010, 02:03 PM
I think the suggestion Polynesian Dweller made was great. Ask about an upgrade but expect to hear that you'll have to pay for it. If you get offered it for free or at a big discount, great! If not, you can politely decline and thank them for the info. :mickey:

We were upgraded for the first time ever on our stay at Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort. We booked a studio at a super rate with a pin code, then were floored when we checked in and discovered we'd been upgrade to a 2-bedroom villa! When I got home I noticed that we'd gotten a 2nd conformation email from them the day of our check in showing the upgraded. We were on the road at that time, so I didn't see it until we got back. I think it seems pretty likely that these offers are outside of the guest's control. We just got lucky that day. :mickey: