PDA

View Full Version : characters at hotels?

Joannelet
01-24-2010, 03:29 PM
I have a question.
When I was staying at POR in 2002, I remember there being times when some characters would be available for meet and greets in the lobby.
I am wondering if that hotel or any resort does that anymore?
When we went to Disneyland, CA in 2008 I was amazed at Goofy walking around playing jokes on people in the lobby of the Disneyland Hotel. He even was shaking his finger at my husband for leaving me at the entrance with all the luggage. When he was finished in the lobby he went outside the back door and was pretending to give people the wrong directions to things. A little while later Pluto came out and was playing in the lobby (it wasn't even meet and greets per se) It was more of the characters just hanging out having fun.
I don't remember seeing this at WDW on my last 2 trips and just wondering if they stopped the meet and greets that they once had.

faline
01-24-2010, 03:35 PM
While there are character meals in some of the resort restaurants, they no longer do the meet and greets at the resorts.

Disney4us2
01-24-2010, 03:41 PM
I remember seeing Goofy in the lobby as well. My DD and her friend were playing around with him.

A&M'sMommy
01-24-2010, 04:31 PM
I don't think they do anymore either.. too bad though!

I'll never forget taking my son in 2001. He was about four and a half and obsessed with Minnie. She was in our hotel lobby and getting ready to leave and she took his hand and walked out with him and then gave him a kiss. I thought he would die! I was the cutest cutest thing!!! :)

TammiMcMan
01-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Wasn't that called the character caravan? If I remember correctly, they did away with the extra magic hours in the parks and tried this instead. It only lasted the year and then they went back to the extended hours for resort guests instead. My son got a ton of autographs that year though, just by being in the resort lobby at the right time.

BigRedDad
01-25-2010, 06:06 PM
They did this during the closing of parks due hurricanes. I know this did this on 9/11 as well. My manager was there when they shut it down. They had characters come out to the resorts to entertain the crowds.

Tink#64
01-25-2010, 11:36 PM
It seems to me that this was done at the time that WDW had stopped the night time extra magic hours, (it wasn't called that at the time), just after 911, and to still have a perk to offer guests staying on site, they had some characters in the resort lobbies. We were also there at that time and DS's were young & they really enjoyed that! :mickey:

Iluvpooh
01-26-2010, 11:51 AM
The 9/11 timing sounds right. We had this happen at CSR in October 2001. Alice and the Tweedles got off a bus and visited with everyone at the bus stop.