PDA

View Full Version : Trip Planning question

georger
01-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Ok it is time to begin planning our next trip. We always go in September or late August to avoid crowd and get good deals. This will be our 4th trip. This year due to my work we are going to have to look at November....someone tell me when is "Jersey week" for 2010? and/or when do you think the best time to go in November would be? I was thinking Nov 5th-13th. What do you think?? Also- we are considering staying off property for the first time...maybe a house with some friends that are going with us...is this a good idea?

Strmchsr
01-24-2010, 09:16 AM
I think jersey week is the week of Veteran's Day, but someone should be able to tell you for sure.

The Nov 5-13 should be pretty good. You'll definitely be there for the Food & Wine Festival and, if you're interested, you might be able to catch the first MVMCP. They usually start that week of Veteran's Day, too.

As for staying off-site, that's up to you. Folks I know that usually stay on-site more often than not regret staying off-site. They say it loses some of the magic. I would agree for my family, but you know what's most important for you.

georger
01-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks but I am getting conflicting information about when it really is! I just googled Jersey Week and several posts say it's the first week in November typically the week of election day. On another board they say the week of Veteran's day. Anyone know for sure?? Does it change each year???

Stormchaser- I think you are right about staying on property- our family would miss that...I guess we are just trying to save a little this go around! We love Pop so we may try to stay there!

kathiep
01-24-2010, 10:45 AM
The NJ teacher's convention is always scheduled for the first Thursday and Friday in November. For 2010 it is scheduled for 11/4 & 11/5. All schools are closed on those dates. Each school district will also independently make decisions about whether they will be closed for election day and Veteran's day. So there could be at least 4 days, if not more, of no school in the first two weeks of November depending on exactly what the school board approves. Some school districts have started closing for the week of the convention. Our district did this in 2009. There was no school the entire first week and then they also closed on Veterans' Day. If we hadn't just been to DW in August, I'm sure we would have managed to schedule a trip.

wdwfan
01-24-2010, 10:49 AM
I have been several time during "Jersey Week" I didn't find it to be any more crowded actually less, than going during cheerleader competitions.

This is a great time to go with weather and attending the Food & Wine Festival.

georger
01-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Ok thanks for the information. I think the 2nd week might be our best bet....simply because our kids are out for veterans day and they would miss one day less in school. Thanks

andypooh
01-24-2010, 11:26 AM
we have been during "jersey week" a number of times and have never felt the crowds were too bad. the weather is usually mid 70s to low 80s and it will be the last week of the F & W festival. we will be there 11/6-14 staying as DVC members for the first time at BLT. We always stay on property. Never leaving makes it feel more magical for us. Definitely a great time to go!

Strmchsr
01-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Stormchaser- I think you are right about staying on property- our family would miss that...I guess we are just trying to save a little this go around! We love Pop so we may try to stay there!

Since there is usually a discount in November (not always) staying on property might be cheaper. I got my room at Pop in January for $50/night using the room only discount. Can't do better than that anywhere off-site.