PDA

View Full Version : Pressure to order dessert?

Pally
01-22-2010, 06:23 PM
When we went to Kona Cafe this past summer we really did not want dessert after our meal. We were stuffed and satisfied with our appetizers and main meal. Note: We are on the free dining plan. The problem was our server, who was very nice, basically insisted that we order dessert and take it with us. The take out choices available were not necessarily to our liking but we felt really pressured to order anyway.

In after thought, we probably did not have to order dessert just because it was included in the dining plan. All we were basically doing was increasing her tip. Boy, do I feel dumb now.

In after thought, I am absolutely sure that one does not have to order something that you do not want just because it is included.

I will be prepared next time as we are not big dessert eaters.

Does anybody else out there have any thoughts? :mickey:

faline
01-22-2010, 06:38 PM
If you don't want it, don't order it. In the past, whle on the free dining plan, we have taken dessert with us and it has served as our breakfast the next day.

DizneyRox
01-22-2010, 07:02 PM
All we were basically doing was increasing her tip. Boy, do I feel dumb now.

You are spot on. This was happening when the tip was included though as well. The servers got a percentage of the total ordered, so they were steering folks to maximize the bill, and apparently still do.

Another reason why I don't like the dinig plan(s). I like to make the servers work for their tip. And tip is based on what I order, not what's included with some plan, etc.

MNNHFLTX
01-22-2010, 08:06 PM
I have to say that I never felt pressured by the servers in the sit-down places, but sometimes at the counter-service. Since they don't get tips I think it was all meant in a helpful way--the "it's part of the plan so you might as well get it" mindset.

retiredfigment
01-22-2010, 08:18 PM
The first time we were on dining plan I couldn't figure out why the wait staff encouraged us to get it all. Then I realized the more I ordered the bigger their tip. Seems to be the same way now that dessert is included, though in many cases it would be included in bill anyway.

DizneyRox
01-22-2010, 10:10 PM
The first time we were on dining plan I couldn't figure out why the wait staff encouraged us to get it all. Then I realized the more I ordered the bigger their tip. Seems to be the same way now that dessert is included, though in many cases it would be included in bill anyway.
Dessert is included in the plan, but the tip isn't. The expected tip is based on the total bill, so even though you don't pay for the meal and the dessert, you are expected to tip based on what they would have cost.

For example, you order the cheapest meal, and it's $20, you would be expected to tip 18% of the $20. If you ordered the most expensive item and dessert at $50, you would be expected to tip 18% of the $50. Don't order dessert, they should expect less tip... Order it and take just a nibble, it still goes on the bill.

Seasonscraps
01-22-2010, 10:27 PM
That happend to us twice - both times when the tip was included with the meal plan we were on.

Once at WCC, they forced fancy bottled water on us since we didn't want dessert & we didn't want to take it to go since it would just go to waste. She was actually relentless.

Another time, a waitress at the former Italian restaurant in EPCOT was shameful in the way she padded the bill - she pulled out the dinner menu during lunch service, brought side dishes we didn't order, 2 dessert platters that were meant to serve two people each that we didn't order. It was really annoying making her take back stuff we didn't want and just the gross display of food. We are two people, she tried to serve us enough food to feed about 6 people.

Unlimitedfun
01-23-2010, 07:22 AM
I have used the dining plan twice, once when it was free, and once when we paid for (the tip was included in this one). Never did we have a server try to force us to get desert or anything we didn't want. That being said, we always took our desert to go, and like others have said, had it for breakfast. I always tip according to service, and if the service is good, I will tip above the 18% recommended. However, if the service is not good, I will tip accordingly. I have refused to pay a tip at a restaurant (never at Disney) when the service or meal was so poor that I have left the restaurant with out my meal, even if the tip was included in the reciept. Tips are not mandatory, they are a thank you for good service. No good service...no tip!!

DizneyRox
01-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Tips are not mandatory, they are a thank you for good service. No good service...no tip!!
Unless you are using the Tables in Wonderland. Then tips are included.

DVC2004
01-23-2010, 09:27 AM
We did DP last trip and we were too stuffed for dessert many times. We either skipped altogether or ordered only 1 or 2 to share from our entitlements. It was wrong of her to be so pushy. Next time- if it does happen again- just say no. If it persists ask for a manager. I don't think it's the norm but I am sure it happens and that there are some servers who try to push things.

TheVBs
01-23-2010, 03:05 PM
I have to say that I never felt pressured by the servers in the sit-down places, but sometimes at the counter-service. Since they don't get tips I think it was all meant in a helpful way--the "it's part of the plan so you might as well get it" mindset.

Same here. The only time we've been encouraged to get dessert when we were going to pass was at a few CS. We genuinely felt like these CMs were just trying to get us the max for our DDP dollar. They don't get tips, so that wasn't a motivation.

Sorry you had this bad experience!

Rosemickey68
01-24-2010, 12:49 PM
I don't remember any of the servers ever pushing anything on us, not saying it doesn't happen. I would've just kept saying no and like another poster said...ask for the manager if the server became overly persistant. You should never feel pressured into purchasing anything you don't want.