PDA

View Full Version : What are good Places to Eat?

goofymania
01-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Hey Board,

What are some good places to eat in Hollywood Studios??

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-22-2010, 05:30 PM
I find restaurants in Hollywood Studios to be so-so to downright bad....having said that the best experience I had there was Starring Rolls-its a CS that has gourmet sandwiches and great pastries...limited menu though

cajundisneyfreak
01-22-2010, 05:55 PM
If you want some good home cooked food go to 50's Prime Time.We've also eaten at Hollywood & Vine and Sci-Fi.Those were good as well.For counter service we like Pizza Planet.Hope this helps.:mickey:

luvdiznee
01-22-2010, 06:32 PM
50's PT, Sci-Fi, Starring Rolls....:mickey:

hannahandkalebmom
01-22-2010, 08:11 PM
We enjoy Mamma Melrose's in conjunction with the fantasmic package. We have always had good food and service.:mickey:

all4djcc
01-22-2010, 09:12 PM
We never miss Sci-Fi. Just love the atmosphere.:thumbsup:

RedSoxFan
01-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Mama Melrose and Prime Time 50's are both good.

TheDuckRocks
01-23-2010, 05:09 PM
We just went to 50s Prime Time in Dec. and were all very happy with what we got there. We've always had very good food at Mama Melrose and Sci Fi Dine In has a wonderful Beef and Blue salad.

mudpuppysmom
01-23-2010, 07:04 PM
That is usually our "burger" day.....from Backlot Express, then a brownie from the Writers Stop or the candy store -- or flourless chocolate cake from Starring Rolls.

I usually tell people good luck when they go to MGM (as far as food goes) and so far everyone that has tried several different places are in the same boat with us.....they just can't seem to find a place they enjoy (and we aren't very picky either).

kemps@wdw
01-23-2010, 11:21 PM
I can't say that any of the places we've eaten @ DHS were horribly bad. Mama Melrose...good, Sci-Fi...good (loved the cheesy movies), 50's Prime Time...good, Backlot Express...good. We would revisit any of these again. However, if we chose to stay away from anyplace, it would be the ABC Commissary. Wasn't thrilled at all w/their food!:ack:

DisneyFr33k
01-24-2010, 06:47 AM
Mama Melrose and Prime Time 50's are both good.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

:down: for Sci Fi. Food average at best, small portions, and hokey movie clips that repeat every 10-15 minutes. The only positive thing to say about Sci Fi is it is a dark, quiet, cool place to rest on a busy hot day.

wdwvacationeer
01-24-2010, 08:30 AM
We really like Starring Rolls for quick service- if you are on the dining plan you get a drink, enormous fresh sandwich with an apple or chips (I think?) and then you get to choose an equally enormous fancy dessert- it is alot of food. My DDs (10&16) easily share one lunch. Even if you had to purchase separately- one lunch is reasonably priced and enough food for two. Everything seemed really fresh.

We also like Brown Derby- our meals were good and the atmosphere is nice- but this one is a little pricey.

We always went to Mama Melrose but since they took DD16's favorite dish off the menu, we haven't been back.

We went to the SciFi in December and it was fun. The service was really good and it was funny to have a "hitchhiker" in the back of our car. The food was ok- but it was fun.

We liked the atmosphere and the fun factor of the 50s Primetime but weren't crazy about the food- but I have a friend that takes her family there every year and they love it- a not to be missed for them.

The only one that everyone HATED was Hollywood and Vine. We went for dinner-it had a really "off" smell overall, the food was bad - to the point where two of my four children would not eat it and then to top it off the two that did eat had stomach troubles afterwards. Needless to say we won't go back. Another friend took her daughters there for the character breakfast and they also were not feeling well after they ate. Not good.

GrmGrninGost
01-24-2010, 09:16 AM
50's Prime Time is one of our three favorites in all of WDW. :mickey: LOVE the food and the atmosphere! Sci-Fi is our one place we will not go back to.:ack: It's been a while since we've done Hollywood & Vine, but we were not overly impressed.

As far as counter service, we like Backlot Express. We sometimes go to Pizza Planet for a change. We do not like ABC Commissary.

bruin1344
01-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Nothing sticks out. Mama Melrose, 50s, and Sci-Fi was mediocre. If want a decent table service meal, go to one of the restaurants at the Epcot resorts or Epcot.

Zawadi
01-24-2010, 01:38 PM
We have eaten at the ABC Commissary in the past and found the food to be acceptable, but not great.
On our last trip in December, we had a burger meal that resembled cold cardboard. We will give this place a wide berth in future.

Joannelet
01-24-2010, 02:17 PM
It all depends on what you like and enjoy.
50's prime time is sometimes a fun environment (I say sometimes because I didn't not have a good waitress which put a damper on my visit there). I did see other rooms with other servers having a grand old time. The food there is nothing that I enjoy at home..its homestyle meals so its comfort food like meatloaf etc. I don't enjoy eating that stuff at home so I definitely don't enjoy eating that stuff on vacation....so again it all depends what you like.
We have however always and love lunch at Sci Fi. I have never had a bad meal here and really enjoy the food and atmosphere.
I have eaten at Brown Derby and that food is also good and also Mama Melrose's is good.
Starring Rolls has yummy food too. I enjoyed the muffin with the chocolate shavings on top for a snack the last time I was there. I never had lunch there but everything definitely looked really good.

wdw dude
01-24-2010, 03:10 PM
I've always had a nice, quick lunch at Starring Rolls. It's one of my favorite counter service places.

Haven't eaten dinner in the Studios in many years, but the Brown Derby was very good last time I was there.

Hollywood & Vine was good, but can be very loud.

:mickey:

lightyearfan
01-25-2010, 10:30 AM
here goes mine and dw's fav's and not so much fav's

FAV"S
1. 50 Prime Time (simple but good)
2. Sci-Fi(never had and issue)
3. Brown Derby(pricy but ddp makes it ok)
4. Pizza Planet(good for a quick lunch)
5. ABC Commisary(ok food)

Not SO
1.Mama Melrose (worst dinner we ever had)

only 1 for not so we've never tried the other locations so i cant judge on those hopes this helps

Victor

jwallace378
01-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Sci-Fi Drive In is decent, 50's Prime Time and Mama Melroses are pretty good.