PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find a new beach...

JanetMegan
01-21-2010, 09:23 AM
So every year for the last 4 I have gone with friends to Panama City Beach for a week or so in the late spring/early summer (before the kids get out of school.) We are looking for a change of scenery but have some requirements and I was hoping you guys had some advice. We would like it to be within driving distance of Atlanta (so 7 hrs or so is ideal.) Gulf has been great but Atlantic side would be ok too. Here is the kicker, we'd love somewhere that we could stay close to the action. As in walk to some restaurants so there is no drinking :marg: on the beach all day and then driving. That is the nice thing about PCB area. We like to people watch-make things more exciting-although last year hitting PCB during bike week was a mistake we will not be making again. Any thoughts?

GAN
01-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Obviously Daytona comes to mind -although maybe not the "action" you're looking for. For my money I'd look into New Smyrna Beach, just south of Daytona. Nice drive on beach(or walk on from condo/hotel) -it's a big beach(and more laid back and clean) so people-watching opps can be less than Daytona. Good surf and a great place to relax and enjoy a cocktail as long as you are discreet. Depending where you position yourself there are many restaurants/lounges within walking distance -however, if you're on the far end(Canaveral Seashore) it is really quiet. Good Luck.

Tygger7
01-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Check out Turtle Beach on Siesta Key. It's just outside Sarasota and the beach is beautiful. There are really nice condos right on the beach you can rent. Feel free to PM me and I can give you info on a place we've stayed. There's a nice little bar right across the street, and it's much less crowded than the other beaches in the area. From Atlanta, we could usually get there in 8-10 hours depending on traffic.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
01-21-2010, 11:17 AM
We love Siesta Keys and try to set a day aside on every trip. Althought, it was "jellyfish season" last year when we went. That made it a little interesting, but I did learn what the flags on the lifeguard stand meant...

SuzieBell
01-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Check out Turtle Beach on Siesta Key. It's just outside Sarasota and the beach is beautiful. There are really nice condos right on the beach you can rent. Feel free to PM me and I can give you info on a place we've stayed. There's a nice little bar right across the street, and it's much less crowded than the other beaches in the area. From Atlanta, we could usually get there in 8-10 hours depending on traffic.

I used to go there all the time! I grew up in Sarasota. I remember when there were no condos around! We live in Nashville so it's a little farter drive. We go to Gulf Shores, AL (alternate between beach and WDW!) We get a condo right on the beach! Several rest. within walking distance and lots to do! We make sure we get a condo with a grill and get fresh seafood from the local markets and grill it ourselves! Feel free to contact me!

tarheelmjfan
01-24-2010, 08:57 PM
I think Clearwater Beach is what you're looking for.

ibrowse17
01-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Having grown up there, I would suggest Destin, FL.

Iluvpooh
01-27-2010, 12:01 AM
Gulf Shores/Orange Beach! Love my Bama beaches! I live here so any questions, just LMK.

murphy1
01-29-2010, 10:30 AM
We went down to St. Pete Beach (my home town) in December and stayed at the Sirata, it was awesome!! It is close to so many thing. PM me and you can call me if you want info on it Janet. I think I have some brochures too. We had a room right on the beach, too. Never wanted to leave and my family even came over to see us there.

Hammer
01-31-2010, 06:00 PM
We went down to St. Pete Beach (my home town) in December and stayed at the Sirata, it was awesome!! It is close to so many thing. PM me and you can call me if you want info on it Janet. I think I have some brochures too. We had a room right on the beach, too. Never wanted to leave and my family even came over to see us there.

I stayed at the Tradewinds Island Grand in August which is almost next door to the Sirata. I liked the Island Grand very much. There are multiple restaurants and bars on site as well as two additional restaurants/bars at its sister resort, the Sandpiper, which is a 5 minute walk down the beach. The actually have a "bar crawl" passport which you can get stamped and get a free t-shirt if you have an adult beverage at each establishment (and eat at one). I am already planning my trip for this year!