View Full Version : Her fairy tale has just begun - Day 4 and Final Thoughts

IloveJack
01-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Walt Disney World Trip: September 30-October 3, 2009
Cast: Myself, 28, 5th trip
David, 24, 3rd trip
Sammie, turning 1, 1st trip

Saturday, Oct. 3: Departure
We were up at 4:30... after going to bed after midnight. I had wanted to get pics of Sammie with the Toy Story area of our resort, and it had yet to fit in our plans. So, even though the old adage says to never wake a sleeping baby, we did just that. She sat on RC, stood on a checker, waved at Woody, and stood between Buzz and his blocks. Yeah, it was worth it.
I hadn't put the room on the card, so we had to actually go check out. No big deal that early in the morning. We headed to the ME line. While I waited with the luggage, David took one more pic of Sammie on the “S” from All-Star Movies. Then we were off. Sammie waved goodbye one last time, and then was out.
The flight was uneventful, we sat in the front row to have more room. Sammie slept most of the time. My mom was there when we arrived, ready to pick us up.
We went home and all three of us took a nap. After all, we had a 1st birthday party that afternoon to get ready for.

Final Thoughts
I'd dreamed of this trip since before getting pregnant, knowing that I wanted to take my first child to Disney for their first birthday. I got lots of flack from some, saying it was way too early, and the trip was obviously just for us, etc. But you know what? I didn't care then, and I don't care now. The pictures that I have of the magic in her eyes are well worth all that. In fact, I plan to do a 1st birthday trip with all our kids. It was more than worth it.
We'd planned to keep the trip cheap, banking on the free dining, value resort, and not spending every day in a park. We did it. We only bought the sunglasses with the card; everything else was paid for with the cash we brought. It kept us from impulse buying, and kept us from going into debt to pay for the trip. Many of our friends were shocked that we'd "spend all that money to go to Disney and only spend a day and a half in the parks." We did the entire trip for less than $600, including souvenirs and flight. All that money indeed.
Yes, it was a quick trip, and we only saw 2 parks. However, that was fine for a first trip for Sammie. As evidenced by her final night meltdown, any longer and we'd have had to start building naps in and doing less during the daytime. Plus, there's little at DHS that she could do, especially since we don't have cable TV and she hasn't a clue what Playhouse Disney is. She'd have liked Animal Kingdom, but we'll save it for a later trip when she can enjoy the animals even more.
I was a little afraid of the stroller situation, but other than the few times that CMs moved it, it wasn't an issue. We never left our diaper bag in in, but nothing was ever disturbed anyhow (snacks, etc.). It was a little big to fold up on the busses, but it was worth it to have our stroller that fully reclines (for those naps) and has a basket underneath for our stuff.
MNSSHP was well worth it! Being able to get in early allowed us to ride a few rides and not use up all the party time for them. Plus, we went to WDW to see characters and get pics of Sammie with them. This was the way to do it! They're out in force! It was also nice that Sammie got a trick-or-treat bag, even though she was just 1. They filled it up, too. If we return in October, we won't miss this party.
My one regret is not pre-purchasing the PP CD. I didn't do it to save money, and because we'd only be there for 3 days, and only in the parks for a day and a half. However, I wish I'd had those pics. (This is why I don't take Sammie to get professional pics done. I can't say no to any pose, knowing they're of my beautiful daughter, and that they'll be trashed).
On the up side, I did purchase a 2010 calendar from the PP website. It was cheaper than buying 12-24 individual pics, and I could get all my faves. After initial pictures with the fairies, we videoed the interaction with my camera, and therefore got no group shots of them sitting with her in the floor. I couldn't let it go. Nor could I miss the look on her face when she met Tink for the first time, or the kiss on Pooh's nose right before we left EPCOT. See... that's how they drag you in to this PP stuff! :)

By the way, we're hoping our next child will be born around April of next year... and I'm already planning a 1st birthday trip for 2012! I wouldn't miss it for the world!

yjgirl32
01-20-2010, 03:24 PM
I think taking a 1-year to Disney is a great idea. I would have done the same if we would have had the money. I too can't say no to any pictures of my ds. I never thought of the calendar from PP. I also loved the MNSSHP and like I said hope to have a better gameplan for our upcoming trip in Oct. Thanks again for sharing- I have enjoyed reading your reports.

KylesMom
01-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Really, really enjoyable trip report, Susan. Thanks for sharing all of the magic with us! :mickey:

gerald72
01-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Great report. Sounds like you had fun, and planned well!

faline
01-20-2010, 07:35 PM
What a wonderful introduction to Disney for Sammie! Perhaps it won't be that long before she can introduce a brother or sister to the Big Cheese?!

pdrlkr
01-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

mouseketeer mom
01-21-2010, 04:38 PM
I can't' believe you flew home to a BD party that very afternoon! Thats ambitious! Loved your report and your final thoughts. Thank you so much!

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the reports

Kairi_7378
01-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Wow, has it really been over a year since Sammie was born? It seems like only yesterday when we were waiting for little ones to arrive on the Moms and Moms to Be thread.

I'm glad that you had a trip that was great for you and your family!

vizsla
01-27-2010, 03:17 AM
Thanks for the report.

DizNee143
01-29-2010, 08:58 AM
the morning of you departure went very well..and glad you were able to get a few more pictures in!
im so glad your trip was everything you dreamed of! it definitely sounded like a great first time at disney for sammie!!
i want to take my little girl for her first time when shes 2..and i cant wait..like you alot of people are putting it down..saying shes too young and wont remember..but it will be an experience..and probably our first "family" vacation..and i will take many pictures..i cant wait to see her face when we get there..i still have quite some time to plan though since she is only 2 months!
thank you very much for sharing your vacation with us..i greatly enjoyed reading all about it!! :mickey:

January-2007
02-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Thanks for reporting! :mickey:

Suz36
02-27-2010, 11:33 PM
Sounded like a truly magical 1st Disney trip with Sammie! I regret not taking my kids when they were younger - they were 5 and 3 for our first family trip. So what if Sammie won't remember, and it was more for you and DH - what's wrong with that? You'll have magical memories to share with her as she grows older!
Thank you for sharing your trip, and good luck getting back to Disney in 2012!