PDA

View Full Version : upgrade fairy

the real Alice
01-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Has anyone been visted by the upgrade fairy at WDW? I know I hear a lot about his on cruises and wondered if it happens here too. We are going in 10 days to celebrate my 30th birthday. We are staying at a Pop which is fine with me!! BUT wouldn't it be nice since it's slow season and my birthday if we got upgraded?? I know it's unlikely but i can dream :cloud9:

Strmchsr
01-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Extremely unlikely. Everyone is celebrating something down there right now (in fact, I think the folks not wearing buttons of some kind were in the minority last week) so that doesn't count for anything. We had on our reservations that we were celebrating my DW's birthday but the only thing that happened was a bunch of "happy birthdays" from CMs (which was more than fine with us). Also, upgrades only tend to happen during a busy time when they've overbooked or something has happened to your room.

Not saying it can't happen, just don't get your hopes up.

Briansmom
01-19-2010, 08:10 PM
well, the upgrade fairy did sprinkle pixie dust upon us this past year. We had a reservation at POFQ for a regular room. As we were walking to our room, we realized that we were walking to a room that had an amazing WATER VIEW location on the Sassagoula River, right around the corner from the pool!! It was awesome! But I realized how lucky we were....and I kept reiterating that fact to my family (I am sure they wanted me to shut up about it....) I just couldn't believe it!! :mickey:

pirateyankee80
01-19-2010, 08:12 PM
I can tell you I was upgraded in 1995. I was told in the spring of 1995 that I needed a radical eye surgery in a NYC hospital.:ill: We had made plans to take our DD and DD (then 8 and 9) to WDW that summer. Canceling this would have devastated my children. Against the wishes of my neurosurgeon I put the surgery off until the fall and we went on our vacation. When we checked in at the BC we were told that we had been up-graded to a lagoon view room. I was overcome with emotion and at that moment I knew postponing my surgery was the right thing to do. Don’t know if they still do this but thanks for giving me a chance to tell one of many magical stories we have experienced in the greatest place on earth!:cloud9: Oh, surgery went fine!:mjump:

Polynesian Dweller
01-19-2010, 08:54 PM
With my hotelier background I'd say absolutely dream. Hotels upgrade for a whole variety of reasons including operational (keeping staffing costs down by filling areas, maintenance issues etc), sales (if they upgrade you you might buy the more expensive room the next time), and goodwill.

But it's always for business reasons of the hotel so you are right to not see it is likely. By the way, there is nothing wrong with asking politely when you arrive. Hotels don't mind that. Just don't appear to expect the upgrade (great way to make sure it won't happen) and be prepared to be told no or only for a price ( if available). But give it a try and with good luck who knows?

BigRedDad
01-20-2010, 04:55 AM
Upgrades are not too common. What is most likely at Pop is an upgrade to a preferred room. The only time there is an upgrade from a lower level resort is due to over-crowding or too many bookings. In a slow season, that is highly unlikely.

The only upgrade I received was on our Honeymoon shortly after 9/11. This was partly do to WDW screwing up the reservation, getting put at a Deluxe we did not want, and being forced to a package we did not want. However, it was within our budget and WDW gave us no other choice for a Deluxe. We were upgrade from a parking lot view to a second floor, king room, overlooking the Savannah. It was about a $150 a night upgrade. Still not the deal we had at the CR with MK view.

poeticeclipse
01-20-2010, 03:34 PM
My boss just got back from WDW for their first trip 2 weeks ago. She got an e-mail a few weeks before they left from WDW saying that her family had been upgraded from Pop Century to a Deluxe Resort. She thought it was some kind of joke until I told her to call as soon as possible... that this happens very rarely.

Luckily, she called and they enjoyed a week at Beach Club for the same price. Doesn't surprise me about the upgrade though because the week they were there it was CRAZY packed so i'm sure they overbooked the values a little bit.

mudpuppysmom
01-20-2010, 07:11 PM
We've had the upgrade fairy check us in both times we've stayed at AKL.....we booked a std room and been upgraded to a savannah view both times without asking! The kids loved it!!!

TheVBs
01-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Don't lose hope, it might happen! :mickey: I've heard lots of upgrade stories here, and like someone else pointed out, they happen for a variety of reasons. I know this isn't exactly the same, but we stayed at Disney's HHI resort last Nov. during a very slow period and we were upgraded from a studio to a 2 bedroom villa. So, my fingers are crossed for you! :mickey: