PDA

View Full Version : For Those With No Dog In the Fight ...

Ian
01-19-2010, 08:17 AM
So yesterday at work we were debating/arguing about which of the four remaining NFL playoff teams America is most behind. Then this morning, Mike & Mike were talking about the exact same thing and it really got me thinking. Who is America rooting for?

This poll is only for those NFL fans with no vested rooting interest in any of the remaining four teams! Obviously I know Jets fans are rooting for the Jets, Vikes fans for the Vikes, etc. I'm trying to figure out who the rest of America is rooting for. If you do have a dog in the fight, though, feel free to post in the thread and cheer your team on to victory. ;)

So ... for the rest of you ... pick your poison folks!

SBETigg
01-19-2010, 08:38 AM
I would love to see the Saints do it, but the Vikings might be my next best choice. Anyone but Colts or Jets.

As an aside, I think "no dog in the fight" is probably a poor choice of phrase considering Michael Vick's actions are still in the minds of many, though I know it's just a phrase and no harm intended.

Jeff
01-19-2010, 08:39 AM
As a Michigan resident, who is very very used to "having no dog in the fight", I am pulling for the Saints!

Not a Jets fan n can't bring myself to support them.
Indy has been there.
Minnesota wears purple uniforms!!!!:ack:

kakn7294
01-19-2010, 08:51 AM
I'm pulling for the Saints although it really doesn't matter that much at this point. All of the teams that I really did not want to see make it have been eliminated with the exception of the Jets - definately not a Jets fan except for local boy Revis.

RAIDER
01-19-2010, 08:57 AM
Ian i hope you allow this Brit his opinion :)

Ive gone for the Saints because they have been the most exciting team for me to watch this season :thumbsup:

BigRedDad
01-19-2010, 09:04 AM
I voted Minnesota Vikings. I want to see the old man win another and show GB exactly what the winners on the team had been telling the coaches and owner for so long.

Unfortunately, I think the Colts will win it because they can score at will on any possession.

wdwfansince75
01-19-2010, 09:07 AM
I think my impulsive vote for the Saints was as much for the city as for the team....although I have enjoyed watching them play.

Would not be disappointed, however, to see the Colts win. Manning amazes me with some of his magic. Lived in MD from 73-88, but I am over Irsay and the moonlight movers. (But maybe Irsay was the tie breaker)

Tired of Farve's antics, and could never cheer for the Jets.

DAKustodial
01-19-2010, 09:41 AM
I voted for the Saints, only because I have reasons to dislike both the Vikings (Favre) and the Jets (New York team). I don't dislike the Colts and I've actually quietly liked watching Manning play for a long time, but I didn't like them not going for the undefeated season this year so I can't get behind them.

DVC2004
01-19-2010, 09:42 AM
I would like the Colts to win. 2nd would be the Saints. Being from the Chicago area, Brett Farve is considered a mortal enemy so no Vikings!

Jasper
01-19-2010, 10:01 AM
I have to go with the Colts because they seem the most down to earth.

My least favorite would be the vikings. However, if the Vikings were to find a way to force Favre to retire for good then they would run a very close second to the Colts. I was actually a huge Favre fan until he started playing the retirement game just to get his way like an angry child!

The Jets are too cocky and while the Saints are certainly a good team this year they are only where they are because of weak regular and post-season schedules.

Scar
01-19-2010, 10:06 AM
J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!

You know it's wierd. As a Mets fan, the Yankees are by far my most hated team. But as a Giants fan, the Jets are by far my second most favorite team. Go figure. :shrug:

Ian
01-19-2010, 10:08 AM
I picked the Vikings. I'm not a big Brett Favre fan, but I'd love to see Brad Childress get a ring before Andy Reid does. :thedolls:

Also, I have a soft spot in my heart for the Vikes after they humiliated the Cowgirls last week. :thedolls: again!

Ian
01-19-2010, 10:27 AM
... and while the Saints are certainly a good team this year they are only where they are because of weak regular and post-season schedules.It's interesting ... I definitely had the same perception of the Saints, so I went and ran the numbers.

For those curious, here are the regular season strength of schedule numbers for the remaining playoff teams ... in ascending order:

New Orleans Saints: Opponents combined record was 109-147 or a .426 winning percentage.

Minnesota Vikings: Opponents combined record was 113-143 or a .441 winning percentage.

Indianapolis Colts: Opponents combined record was 121-135 or a .73 winning percentage.

New York Jets: Opponents combined record was 132-124 or a .516 winning percentage.

Now of course you need to consider that the regular season records for these teams vary greatly, so even though the Saints and Colts played lesser competition than the Jets they also won a lot more games (which you'd expect).

Spaceship Tigger
01-19-2010, 10:35 AM
I picked the Colts, but realized after I voted that even though they're not my home team (I guess the Titans would be), I'm a Colts fan as long as Peyton plays for them (being from the University of Tennessee). So does that mean I have a "dog in the fight"?

tinksmom02
01-19-2010, 10:41 AM
I would like to see the Colts win. I'm a die-hard Giants fan, but not an Eli Manning fan. I'd like to see Peyton take the Superbowl.

Don't like Farve and can't stand the Jets. :blush:

Ian
01-19-2010, 10:48 AM
I picked the Colts, but realized after I voted that even though they're not my home team (I guess the Titans would be), I'm a Colts fan as long as Peyton plays for them (being from the University of Tennessee). So does that mean I have a "dog in the fight"?Technically yes, but we'll let you slide. ;)

indytraveler
01-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Didn't vote but took a look anyways.

For those that don't like the Colts b/c they win too much or they are always there. This is only the third AFC championship game they have played in during the Peyton Manning era (11 yrs.)

The Saints seem to be the sexy pick because of their offense. The Vikes because of Favre and the Jets for that Cinderella team.

As I posted in another thread the NFL is really liking these 2 matchups because of the rating they should draw.

#1donaldfan
01-19-2010, 12:28 PM
...I am very torn.....

...I'd like to see Bret get another ring, then finally enjoy retirement....

....I'd also like to see Drew get his....

....I'm gonna go for Vikings....no, maybe Saints....see, I just can't choose....I'll pick a side when the game starts....whomever they talk about the least, is who I normally go with....I like underdogs...:blush:

Hammer
01-19-2010, 12:44 PM
My choice is the Jets. I only rooted for the Colts in previous playoffs because of Tony Dungy though I am not a Peyton Manning fan. Now that he's gone, no need to root for them. Don't really care for the Saints and can't root for a team with Brett Favre (though I do like Childress). As someone who has seen the torment of Eagles fans, I think Jets fans come in a close second in terms of torment. They are treated as second rate in their own city and have had their heart broken by their team many times.

bucky at disney
01-19-2010, 01:06 PM
I voted for the Saints....main reason that would mean the Minnesota would lose this week - and Favre will have lost 2 NFC Championship games in 3 years...traitor!

Plus I can't stand the Viqueens anyway.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
01-19-2010, 01:27 PM
I chose the Saints...

Vikings: As I have vehemently stated since the start of the season..no way, no how..

Jets: Can't cheer for a team from New York.

Colts: I love his commercials, but am sick of him being pampered by the league

Saints: N.O. can really use something to cheer about, and it's somebody new.

Not sure how much I will watch. Will be fishing on the hard water all weekend.

Ian
01-19-2010, 01:39 PM
As someone who has seen the torment of Eagles fans, I think Jets fans come in a close second in terms of torment. They are treated as second rate in their own city and have had their heart broken by their team many times.Hey at least the Jets have won a Super Bowl!

Scar
01-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Jets: Can't cheer for a team from New York.The Jets are from New Jersey.

But just out of curiosity, why not?

gueli
01-19-2010, 02:05 PM
No I did not vote

Hey at least the Jets have won a Super Bowl!

Yes, when I was in Diapers...

The Jets are from New Jersey.
But just out of curiosity, why not?

Thank You, since they moved the teams training facility, I wish they would just adopt the state where they play ...:D

To all of you who can't stand the Jets- wether its for personal reasons, or because of their brash coach-
Its OK, I forgive you :D

J
E
T
S
JETS JETS JETS :number1:

Ian
01-19-2010, 03:46 PM
The Jets are from New Jersey.

But just out of curiosity, why not?Remember when you were surprised by my saying that I didn't know people hated the Phillies?

Think about that conversation ....

Yes, when I was in Diapers...The Eagles last NFL Championship (notice I didn't say Super Bowl win) was in 1960. John F. Kennedy was still alive. My parents had never met. I'm not even sure disposable diapers had been invented yet!

Scar
01-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Remember when you were surprised by my saying that I didn't know people hated the Phillies?

Think about that conversation .... Yea, but I think that had more to do with rivalry and/or geographic location. DAKustodial (from Philly) said...

I voted for the Saints, only because I have reasons to dislike both the Vikings (Favre) and the Jets (New York team).I understand why he or you or someone from Boston might hate all NY teams, but M_M_Dad is from Wisconsin, just curiuos to know why he hates New York (and apparently New Jersey. ;))

Melanie
01-19-2010, 05:31 PM
This is really tough for me this year. The only team I don't want at all is the Jets. Bleh.

Normally I wouldn't pull for the Saints, as they are a division rival of my team and I think the 'Who dat?' nation is pretty annoying. But, after a very entertaining meeting with Drew Brees, I can't help but pull for him.

The Vikings are a team that were never even on the radar for me until this year, so I normally wouldn't pull for them either, but the Brett Favre equation makes it very interesting for me. They were debating his legacy on Mike & Mike this morning, and I didn't realize that if he wins this year, he'll not only be the only QB to win the Super Bowl from two different teams, but also the only one to win in his 40s. I can't help but pull for that. Plus, I think it's pretty awesome what a great year he's had. I personally think all the "is he, isn't he?" is totally blown up by the media every year.

But ultimately I probably want the Colts to win it all. Jim Caldwell is the former head coach at Wake Forest, so I'd like to see him do well, and we've liked Peyton from his UT days. Plus, he's darn funny. "Ohhhh, "cut" cut." :funny: And my youngest is a huge fan.

So yeah.....Saints. Vikings. Colts. Yeah...Colts. :)

Greenlawler
01-19-2010, 05:48 PM
I voted Saints although I would be fine with the Jets or Favre winning.

Anyone but the Colts...

How anyone prefers them over the others is beyond me? And here is why

1.Saints and Vikings have never won the big game. Jets have not had a ring since 1968.

2. The Colts averaged 35,000 fans until they won the Super Bowl three years ago, even with Peyton .Can you say bandwagon?

3. Are they "Down to Earth"or is it small market lack of coverage? We are all finally finding out the truth behind Marvin Harrison, ironically the NFL kept that one under wraps until he left the Colts. Perhaps it would have been revealed sooner if he played in New York, or Chicago?

4. The way they mailed it in the last two weeks of the season.

5. Peyton Manning is way too smug. How he petitions the officials every game is old.

6. And the private reason being, those Tennesseans who cheer for the Colts becuase of Manning. A) Peyton is not from Tennessee. B) Do UT fans cheer for the Saints because of Marvin Mitchell? or the Phins because of David Martin...NO.

Anyways I know I am a little overboard but what the heck I cannot help myself. Down with the Colts and the bandwagon they drove in on!

No I do not believe 8 people would actually prefer them over the Saints. I think we have some Colts fans how are bending the rules....like the guy who voted although he lives in Indiana.

caryrae
01-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Being a Vikings fan all my life I would just like to at least see them in the Superbowl plus win it of course. I was born in 73' so obviously I don't remember when they were in the superbowl in 74', 75', and 77'. I honestly don't think we would have done near as good without Favre.

Melanie
01-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Being a Vikings fan all my life I would just like to at least see them in the Superbowl plus win it of course.

Remember, this poll is for those whose team ISN'T still alive. :)

Altair
01-19-2010, 08:55 PM
"For those with no dog in the fight", interesting choice of words.:puppy:

caryrae
01-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Remember, this poll is for those whose team ISN'T still alive. :)

Yeah I figured that out after I read the poll question and voted.:blush:

Missy_Mouses_Dad
01-19-2010, 10:28 PM
The Yanks have really made me dislike NY/NJ teams. But my all time favorite hoops team has always been the Willis Reed, cool clyde frazier lead Knicks. They were the original prime time. So I do have a warm spot for NY/NJ going back quite a ways.

Ian
01-20-2010, 08:01 AM
Yea, but I think that had more to do with rivalry and/or geographic location. DAKustodial (from Philly) said...
I understand why he or you or someone from Boston might hate all NY teams, but M_M_Dad is from Wisconsin, just curiuos to know why he hates New York (and apparently New Jersey. ;))You do realize that the vast majority of Americans find New York and New Yorkers really irritating, right?

I mean, this isn't a surprise to you is it?

Scar
01-20-2010, 10:30 AM
The Yanks have really made me dislike NY/NJ teams.OK, I can see how the Yankees could have that effect on people. ;)

You do realize that the vast majority of Americans find New York and New Yorkers really irritating, right?

I mean, this isn't a surprise to you is it?No, I suppose it isn't a suprise. I guess it's because NYC gets more attention than other places. Obviously, there are irritating people, as well as decent people, everywhere.

gueli
01-20-2010, 10:35 AM
You do realize that the vast majority of Americans find New York and New Yorkers really irritating, right?

no.
look at it this way, if you only got to know us...
this irritation would grow on you, much like a fungus :D
And why would you find the City irritating ?

I mean, this isn't a surprise to you is it?

are you sure its not Jelousy ? :D
I mean - people from around the world travel to NYC - for so many reasons- when you consider that we have world class theatres, museums, buisness centers, conventions, a pro sport team in just about every avenue that you could imagine (except football - they moved to NJ, except that they wanted to keep the New York name:cool:) why would you find it irritating ?
We do not go around proping NYC as the #1 tourist destination, on new years its not like there are all these camera crews or some sort of party, Its not like we host an international community like the UN, its not like we call our city - the one that never sleeps- the greatest city in all the world :D oh wait a minute...there I go again.

Are you sure we are irritating ?
:stir:

Pagan
01-20-2010, 10:39 AM
OK, I can see how the Yankees could have that effect on people. ;)
I find that kinda funny. The Yanks get hated, but when you get right down to it the players handle themselves pretty classy.

The Jets on the other hand are the trendy "Cinderella" pick this year, yet they and their fans are outspoken, obnoxious, and brash even while having not won anything in over 40 years. They are pretty much the typical stereotype of what people hate about NY.

Yes Guels, I know you'll come riding in on a white horse to their defense, but even you have to admit that their mouths are running a little too much after hearing Kerry Rhodes say they're going to "bury" Peyton Manning.

I'd actually root for them as a Cinderella team if they weren't acting like the schoolyard bully that never won a fight. :razz:

gueli
01-20-2010, 10:46 AM
The Jets on the other hand ...They are pretty much the typical stereotype of what people hate about NY.

Yes Guels, I know you'll come riding in on a white horse to their defense, but even you have to admit that their mouths are running a little too much after hearing Kerry Rhodes say they're going to "bury" Peyton Manning...

You are a little wrong here, I will not defend the OTHER jet fans...
Many Jets fans are loud, drunk and obnoxious.
Its not all of us, but the loud, drunk & obnoxious ones are the most visable :shrug:
and Kerry Rhodes has been talking smack all year - what you dont hear is the polite derrelle revis quotes ("I just hope I can cover them") or Jenkins (who on teammate bart scott & kery rhodes said- I wish they would stop running their mouths)

None the less
Go Jets

diz_girl
01-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Another vote for the Saints. As a fan of a team who has never won a Superbowl (Eagles), I'm a softie who will root for the team who hasn't won or been to the game before. At least the other three teams have made a Superbowl appearance. The Saints haven't even been there yet.

Here is my order of preference for winning -
Saints
Colts-Vikings- tie - Manning is just amazing, but they're won recently - Vikings never won, but the Favre retirement drama annoys me
Jets - well, because they're the Jets - if I wasn't an Eagles fan, I'd still pick the Giants before the Jets. Sorry.

Scar
01-20-2010, 11:11 AM
I find that kinda funny.Only "kinda" funny? ... it was meant to be "really" funny. :beer:

Pagan
01-20-2010, 11:30 AM
You are a little wrong here, I will not defend the OTHER jet fans...
Many Jets fans are loud, drunk and obnoxious.
Its not all of us, but the loud, drunk & obnoxious ones are the most visable :shrug:
and Kerry Rhodes has been talking smack all year - what you dont hear is the polite derrelle revis quotes ("I just hope I can cover them") or Jenkins (who on teammate bart scott & kery rhodes said- I wish they would stop running their mouths)

None the less
Go Jets
Actually, I do hear those quotes. Not from the NY media though, who call the trash talking "refreshing".

That's why you'll never hear me say anything about Revis. He's right there with Jeter as far as being a class act.

Only "kinda" funny? ... it was meant to be "really" funny. :beer:
Okay I'll give ya that. :razz:

Ian
01-20-2010, 12:14 PM
OK, I can see how the Yankees could have that effect on people. ;)

No, I suppose it isn't a suprise. I guess it's because NYC gets more attention than other places. Obviously, there are irritating people, as well as decent people, everywhere.I agree totally. It's almost not the fault of the city or the people (I say almost, because face it ... New York does have a higher percentage of annoying loudmouths than most places ;) ), but the media for their obvious NYC bias and the way they fawn over any team or player that has a "New York" before his team name.

Eli Manning is the poster child for that. When the Giants went to the Super Bowl, the media couldn't wait to spend a week talking about him and yet he's gotta be one of the most overrated players in the NFL. The fact that he won the MVP was such a sham ... it's that stuff that gets on people's nerves.

are you sure its not Jelousy ? Oh I'm quite certain a lot of it is rooted in jealousy. I think people from Boston and Philly especially have that feeling being so geographically close by yet not garnering anywhere near the attention.

And really ... outside of the Yankees ... New York doesn't exactly have any real powerhouse teams. Then again the Yankees are the powerhouse of powerhouses, so ...

But anyway, some of it is definitely jealousy yeah and some of it is definitely the arrogance and bluster of a certain segment of New Yorkers. If you could have heard the Giants fans calling in to our local sports talk radio the first half of this season ... UGH! You would have thought the Giants had already won the Super Bowl!

Of course you didn't hear a peep from them after they collapsed. ;)

barnaby
01-20-2010, 12:33 PM
This was a tough pick because I wouldn't mind seeing all 4 of the teams win.

The Vikes because of Brad Childress and his Eagles connection. Childress realizes the importance of running the ball, something Andy Reid can't seem to grasp.

The Saints because I like Brees and Sean Patyon, both great at what they do.

The Jets because I like the Rex Ryan and his attitude.

But I had to go with the Colts. I like Peyton Manning and love watching him play. I just think he is a classy dude on and off the field. And I always get a kick of the commercials he does.

Pagan
01-20-2010, 12:33 PM
New York does have a higher percentage of annoying loudmouths than most places ;)
Am I the only one who sees the incredible irony in a statement like this being made by someone from Philadelphia? :razz:

Ian
01-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Am I the only one who sees the incredible irony in a statement like this being made by someone from Philadelphia? :razz:Oh, I would never deny that Philly has its own share of loudmouths and blowhards.

I see two differences ... one, like 11.6% of New Yorkers are annoying blowhards and only approximately 9.735% of Philadelphians are.

#2, the blowhard New Yorkers actually believe themselves superior to everything and everyone whereas the blowhard Philadelphians are, in fact, suffering from an inferiority complex and just "blowharding" to cover up their insecurities.

How's that for dime store psychoanalysis??

barnaby
01-20-2010, 12:52 PM
I see two differences ... one, like 11.6% of New Yorkers are annoying blowhards and only approximately 9.735% of Philadelphians are.

#2, the blowhard New Yorkers actually believe themselves superior to everything and everyone whereas the blowhard Philadelphians are, in fact, suffering from an inferiority complex and just "blowharding" to cover up their insecurities.

Do you have the studies to back those numbers up? I think both are higher. :D

To me, blowhards are blowhards, reasons are no excuse. ;)

sportsguy2315
01-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Am I the only one who sees the incredible irony in a statement like this being made by someone from Philadelphia? :razz:

I'm going to stand up for Ian on this one. If you remember, Eli was originally drafted by San Diego but demanded a trade from the Chargers. :P Other loudmouths in NY:

Rex Ryan
The Entire Yankee organization
Sean Avery
TO (I'm counting NY State)

barnaby
01-20-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm going to stand up for Ian on this one. If you remember, Eli was originally drafted by San Diego but demanded a trade from the Chargers. :P Other loudmouths in NY:

Rex Ryan
Sean Avery

Eli isn't a loudmouth though.
List for Philly:
Former Eagles Coach Buddy Ryan
Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins
Flyers Scott Hartnell
Eagles DeSean Jackson (not so much mouthy but showy)

Ian
01-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Eli isn't a loudmouth though.Okay then ... replace Eli with Latrell "I gotta feed my family" Sprewell!!

gueli
01-20-2010, 01:56 PM

Rex Ryan
Sean Avery

Ok if you are counting NY state, how are you counting NEW JERSEY ???
Rex Ryan, is not from NY, does not coach a team in NY ... oh right, I get it - he is so loud that he covers both states :D
(pagan could have come up with a funny fat joke here)

Now please, there are plenty of NY loudmouths-

Jet Fans
Met Fans
Mayor Guilliani
Kerry Rhodes
Pagan
Gueli
The NY Post sports writers
Howard stern (who was so loud, that he was heard as the #1 Morning personality coast to coast, until he got over 7 million people to PAY to hear him on Satellite radio)

:beer:

Hey, how did we get so far off topic that we are busy bashing NY ?

Pagan
01-20-2010, 01:58 PM

Rex Ryan
Sean Avery

Man are you way off base...who on the Yankees is a loudmouth? I agree with the others whole heartedly though!

And Ian...I understand the inferiority complex in Philly. I mean after all, what other city would actually be home to one of the greatest ever heavyweight champions (Joe Frazier) yet erect a statue to an actor playing a heavyweight champion? :razz:

Ian
01-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Ok if you are counting NY state, how are you counting NEW JERSEY ???
Rex Ryan, is not from NY, does not coach a team in NY ... Dude, the team name is the New York Jets. If they're really from Jersey then they need to change the name a la the New Jersey Devils.

Otherwise, they can't have their cake and eat it, too. I realize very few people actually want to be directly associated with New Jersey, but you can't claim to be from Jersey just to avoid the New York stigma on one hand but name your team the New York Jets to avoid the Jersey stigma on the other!

Ian
01-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Man are you way off base...who on the Yankees is a loudmouth? I agree with the others whole heartedly though!Choke ... gasp ... I actually have to agree with Pagan here. The Yankees themselves are not loudmouths (maybe A-Rod?). But the coverage they get and their fans? Definitely loudmouths!

And Ian...I understand the inferiority complex in Philly. I mean after all, what other city would actually be home to one of the greatest ever heavyweight champions (Joe Frazier) yet erect a statue to an actor playing a heavyweight champion? :razz:You're so preaching to the choir, man. I don't get the city's fascination with Rocky either.

I mean the movies are good, but really? To form an entire city identity around a low-budget Sylvester Stallone flick?? And people wonder why Philly gets dissed ....

Hey, how did we get so far off topic that we are busy bashing NY ?Hey now in fairness, bashing New York is never off topic. That's always fair game! :D

gueli
01-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Dude, the team name is the New York Jets. If they're really from Jersey then they need to change the name a la the New Jersey Devils.

Otherwise, they can't have their cake and eat it, too. I realize very few people actually want to be directly associated with New Jersey, but you can't claim to be from Jersey just to avoid the New York stigma on one hand but name your team the New York Jets to avoid the Jersey stigma on the other!

Ever since the New York Football Jets Decided to leave New York State, I have wanted them to change their name and honor their new State, New Jersey. Apparently, with the disfunction in albany (Ny's capitol), I cant even get my state senator to bring this to the senate.
The New York Jets- do not pay Taxes in NY, do not pay rents in NY, USED to be a New York Team...until they decided to sign a 99 YEAR lease with New Jersey.
Now I understand, they do not want to loose their NY fan base, and they want to be associated with NY- but unless they give NY some money- any parades should be held a'la the NJ Devils, in a parkinglot !
And I love this team- win ,lose, tie or die... But do not give New Yawkers some baloney story...

Go Jets

gueli
01-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Choke ... gasp ... I actually have to agree with Pagan here. The Yankees themselves are not loudmouths (maybe A-Rod?). But the coverage they get and their fans? Definitely loudmouths!

You're so preaching to the choir, man. I don't get the city's fascination with Rocky either.

I mean the movies are good, but really? To form an entire city identity around a low-budget Sylvester Stallone flick?? And people wonder why Philly gets dissed ....

Hey now in fairness, bashing New York is never off topic. That's always fair game! :D

Is it snowing somewhere where it shouldn't be ?

Heck this is like me and Pagan being on the same page...:thedolls:

Pagan
01-20-2010, 04:38 PM
(pagan could have come up with a funny fat joke here)
Guels, I don't have to. The NY Post wrote an article about him showing that he consumes SEVEN THOUSAND CALORIES A DAY! That's more than my WEEKLY intake!

Man, that's insane.

Now please, there are plenty of NY loudmouths-

Jet Fans
Met Fans
Mayor Guilliani
Kerry Rhodes
Pagan
Gueli
The NY Post sports writers
Howard stern (who was so loud, that he was heard as the #1 Morning personality coast to coast, until he got over 7 million people to PAY to hear him on Satellite radio)

Hey...leave Goomba Rudy out of this!

And actually, I'm quite soft spoken. It's my bass guitar that's loud. ;)

And UGH...Stern? O&A kill him. :razz:

Ian
01-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Guels, I don't have to. The NY Post wrote an article about him showing that he consumes SEVEN THOUSAND CALORIES A DAY! That's more than my WEEKLY intake!Bro (to coin a phrase ;) ) if you're only eating 1,000 calories a day you're going to be dead soon!

Healthy adult males should eat 2,200 calories a day. Granted, not 7,000 but still!

gueli
01-20-2010, 06:21 PM
And actually, I'm quite soft spoken. It's my bass guitar that's loud. ;)

And UGH...Stern? O&A kill him. :razz:

Yeah, O&A were so popular in LA, Philly, detroit, etc- sure they kill him. heck thanks to sterns revenue stream Sirius merged with XM. When O&A came back to regular radio- they lasted less than a year, they couldn't pull ratings in morning drive- Stern left the airwaves on top of his game, with the #1 morning show (despite the FCC) in EVERY makrket he was in. Just look at the ratings book friend- tell me where O&A fell in their Morning drive when they were on ? I always hear a lot from O&A fans, but they are not listed as the airwaves badboy. Heck outside the NY metro area...they arent listed. Also remember when stern went to Sirius, sirius had about 600K subs, before the merger they had well over 7 Million, now at 20 mil +. Yeah, sure O&A have quite the draw.

Heck, I put myself on that list too. We speak loudest here :)

PirateLover
01-20-2010, 06:36 PM
In this order....

Colts (Love that Peyton Manning guy)
Saints
Jets
Vikings (Can't stand Favre)

Pagan
01-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Yeah, O&A were so popular in LA, Philly, detroit, etc- sure they kill him. heck thanks to sterns revenue stream Sirius merged with XM. When O&A came back to regular radio- they lasted less than a year, they couldn't pull ratings in morning drive- Stern left the airwaves on top of his game, with the #1 morning show (despite the FCC) in EVERY makrket he was in. Just look at the ratings book friend- tell me where O&A fell in their Morning drive when they were on ? I always hear a lot from O&A fans, but they are not listed as the airwaves badboy. Heck outside the NY metro area...they arent listed. Also remember when stern went to Sirius, sirius had about 600K subs, before the merger they had well over 7 Million, now at 20 mil +. Yeah, sure O&A have quite the draw.

Heck, I put myself on that list too. We speak loudest here :)
I'll address the bold part, and if we want to continue this it's for another thread.

The Knack had a multiplatinum album that was AMAZINGLY popular.

I'd still rather listen to Iron Maiden. Better music.

Ratings in America mean nothing. The American public - for the most part - doesn't know talent from its own elbow.

We're talking a nation that made "Jon & Kate Plus 8" a top rated TV show...and the Jonas Brothers, Kid Rock and Kanye West rich.

gueli
01-20-2010, 11:10 PM
I agree this is such a left turn.

Lets let this forum go back to the OP

Enjoy
oh yeah
lets go JETS :number1:

Greenlawler
01-21-2010, 12:16 AM
In this order....

Colts (Love that Peyton Manning guy)
Saints
Jets
Vikings (Can't stand Favre)

:sick:

indytraveler
01-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Anyone but the Colts...

How anyone prefers them over the others is beyond me? And here is why

1.Saints and Vikings have never won the big game. Jets have not had a ring since 1968.

2. The Colts averaged 35,000 fans until they won the Super Bowl three years ago, even with Peyton .Can you say bandwagon?

3. Are they "Down to Earth"or is it small market lack of coverage? We are all finally finding out the truth behind Marvin Harrison, ironically the NFL kept that one under wraps until he left the Colts. Perhaps it would have been revealed sooner if he played in New York, or Chicago?

4. The way they mailed it in the last two weeks of the season.

5. Peyton Manning is way too smug. How he petitions the officials every game is old.

6. And the private reason being, those Tennesseans who cheer for the Colts becuase of Manning. A) Peyton is not from Tennessee. B) Do UT fans cheer for the Saints because of Marvin Mitchell? or the Phins because of David Martin...NO.

To respond to your "reasoning"

1. Saints and Vikes never won the Superbowl. I thought Peyton couldn't win the BIG ONE!

2. No the Old Dome's capacity was 54,000. Yes, back in the early days they had firesales on Thursday before the blackout times would kick in. But I believe I've seen everyone of Peyton's home games on TV.

3. Marvin Harrison? I thought that was cleaned up by the League right after that happened.

4. Why are you upset they mailed it in? The Colts Lost! You should be happy. They mailed it in because they could. Won the DIVISION and the Conference by week 15. Us fans were the ones to be mad b/c they didn't go for perfection

5. So he is the only one who petitions officials?

6. Hey, we agree on something. Let's keep those hideous orange jerseys out of Indianapolis

Actually, I see where you are coming from. When Tennessee was in the Super Bowl they were the last team I would ever root for.

Here's to your team that they could win more games next year and make the Colts have to play the final two games to go 16-0.

Greenlawler
01-25-2010, 11:39 AM
To respond to your "reasoning"

1. Saints and Vikes never won the Superbowl. I thought Peyton couldn't win the BIG ONE!

2. No the Old Dome's capacity was 54,000. Yes, back in the early days they had firesales on Thursday before the blackout times would kick in. But I believe I've seen everyone of Peyton's home games on TV.

3. Marvin Harrison? I thought that was cleaned up by the League right after that happened.

4. Why are you upset they mailed it in? The Colts Lost! You should be happy. They mailed it in because they could. Won the DIVISION and the Conference by week 15. Us fans were the ones to be mad b/c they didn't go for perfection

5. So he is the only one who petitions officials?

6. Hey, we agree on something. Let's keep those hideous orange jerseys out of Indianapolis

Actually, I see where you are coming from. When Tennessee was in the Super Bowl they were the last team I would ever root for.

Here's to your team that they could win more games next year and make the Colts have to play the final two games to go 16-0.

Its about time you responded...too bad much of it is misinformed ;)

1. I am not exactly sure what point your trying to make here. I merely stated the facts. I never said Peyton did not win the big one. I simply pointed out that the other teams have not.

2. I took those numbers striaght out of the Indianapolis papers. Until the Super Bowl year the Colts were destined for LA.

3. Nope consider it re-opened just last week a witness came forward. It was on a lengthy interview with SportsCenter. He saw Harrison fire the shots.

4. Yur right on this one ;) but its just another excuse to loath you guys.

5. No but for an "all-pro and stand up guy" it is irritatiing. I think Peyton gets a free pass on being a bit of a brat.

6. Yeah I guess you would think so, but since a guy in that color saved your franchise, maybe you could forgive them, fact. Plus since you don't really have any college football there anymore maybe all of your state should adopt the Vols.

gueli
01-25-2010, 12:36 PM
3. Nope consider it re-opened just last week a witness came forward. It was on a lengthy interview with SportsCenter. He saw Harrison fire the shots.

:confused:
Ok being from a "big" market town :D
what is this about ?
I have not heard of it, but I also do not follow everyone as much as I should...

Greenlawler
01-25-2010, 11:45 PM
Back a couple of years ago when Harrison was mixed up in some gunplay at a local establishment he was dissmissed from the case as not being involved. This was in spite of the fact that the police were able to prove it was his gun.
Now just last week an eyewitness has come forward reporting that Harrison was in fact the shooter of Dwight Dixon who escaped injured. A GQ article and Sportscenter piece have interviewed various sources. Looks like something may finally stick to one of the "goody goody" (ex) Colts.

indytraveler
01-26-2010, 09:32 AM
2. I took those numbers striaght out of the Indianapolis papers. Until the Super Bowl year the Colts were destined for LA.

6. Yeah I guess you would think so, but since a guy in that color saved your franchise, maybe you could forgive them, fact. Plus since you don't really have any college football there anymore maybe all of your state should adopt the Vols.

#2 those were season ticket holders at 35,000 (still sell outs). Move to LA as late as 2006? They needed and GOT funding for new stadium. That was what they were after all along. It's called leverage

#3 An eyewitness that comes forth 3 years later? I'll agree everything about this is fishy but when the guy NEVER spoke to the media his entire time here the organization or his agent did the talking.

#6 IU and football doesn't equate. Purdue maybe in a few years again. ND is back on track now that they got a real College coach. They'll be back as soon as next year. What about Vandy and UT? UT lost Lane Kiffin :haha: after one year.

Ian
01-26-2010, 10:47 AM
5. No but for an "all-pro and stand up guy" it is irritatiing. I think Peyton gets a free pass on being a bit of a brat.I actually agree with you on this. In fact, it applies to both Mannings if you ask me. Eli was a total snot with that whole, "I'm not playing in San Diego" tantrum he had. As if he had proven something already and earned the right to pick his team just because his last name was Manning?

And the one thing that drives me nuts about Peyton is that he should be called for a false start on every single play. He gets the entire team set in their stances and then all of a sudden he jumps up and runs around and all his lineman are shifting and everything. How is that allowed??

Melanie
01-26-2010, 11:56 AM
As if he had proven something already and earned the right to pick his team just because his last name was Manning?

Apparently that was the case, about the name anyway. ;)

Hey, I like them (Peyton moreso than Eli though, just because he has more personality). There are a lot worse people my boys could look up to.

Greenlawler
01-26-2010, 12:04 PM
#2 those were season ticket holders at 35,000 (still sell outs). Move to LA as late as 2006? They needed and GOT funding for new stadium. That was what they were after all along. It's called leverage

#3 An eyewitness that comes forth 3 years later? I'll agree everything about this is fishy but when the guy NEVER spoke to the media his entire time here the organization or his agent did the talking.

#6 IU and football doesn't equate. Purdue maybe in a few years again. ND is back on track now that they got a real College coach. They'll be back as soon as next year. What about Vandy and UT? UT lost Lane Kiffin :haha: after one year.

2. You read the facts just search LA Colts..it was very close.
3. You again, read the articles very damaging to Marvin
4. No comment neaded here... Whens the last time any Indiana football team has been relavent? I will answer it been more than a decade. Tennessee has at least been relavent since then. Vandy, well they won a bowl game last year.

Greenlawler
01-26-2010, 02:56 PM
As far as the Manning mythos...bet you never heard aboput this(snip)
Seems like this was shoved under the carpet quickly.

Look I have nothing against the Manning's my ire is aimed at the bandwagon processional that is the Colts fanbase.

Every team has their bad apples, everyone makes mistakes. It seems to me though that nothing ever sticks to the Mannings

Greenlawler
01-26-2010, 02:59 PM
I actually agree with you on this. In fact, it applies to both Mannings if you ask me. Eli was a total snot with that whole, "I'm not playing in San Diego" tantrum he had. As if he had proven something already and earned the right to pick his team just because his last name was Manning?

And the one thing that drives me nuts about Peyton is that he should be called for a false start on every single play. He gets the entire team set in their stances and then all of a sudden he jumps up and runs around and all his lineman are shifting and everything. How is that allowed??

As for Eli...this is why I never cared for Elway either.

As to your question...it is because it's Peyton. It is the same reason even Brett Favre gets clobbered below the ankles last week and their is no call. But Peyton no sir, if Kyle Vanden Bosch even looks at his ankles its 15 yards.

Scar
01-26-2010, 03:18 PM
As for Eli...this is why I never cared for Elway either.But he screwed the Colts, you should have liked that. :thedolls:

Greenlawler
01-26-2010, 03:27 PM
But he screwed the Colts, you should have liked that. :thedolls:

Good point but alas the Baltimore Colts raised no ire with me...they actually had good fans.