PDA

View Full Version : Cash on room key?

mom2Z&A
01-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Hello!

We're heading to Disney in April. :D Was wondering if you could put cash on a room key??

I know you can put your credit card on the room key but I was looking to put cash on my kids' (DS 13 & DD 7) room keys to limit their spending on "souvenirs".

Or would Disney Gift Card be a better option? I don't want them having to deal with change/cash/etc. We're on the basic dining plan so I'm not worried about them getting snacks...just souvenirs? :unsure:

Appreciate any feedback/suggestions on others' experiences and observations!

sassafras
01-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Never heard of putting cash on a room key, just charging privileges. The Disney Gift card is probably the way to go.

KylesMom
01-18-2010, 05:20 PM
While it's not a problem putting cash against your room key, it may be a problem in separating out that cash per individual room key per kid. While I believe it can be done, you will find that most CMs at the check-in / concierge desks are not well-versed in how to do it, and will tell you to come back later. . . and again later . . . and again later. You could put the lump sum on the room account, but then wouldn't be able to limit the kids' individual spending.

BigRedDad
01-18-2010, 06:00 PM
They do not separate amounts available on the room keys. There is a room credit. However, they may put a max limit on certain cards.

Pirate Granny
01-18-2010, 06:17 PM
I'm going to use Disney Dollars for my grandchildren...unless they are no longer available. It worked well, when as a family we had one night where everyone ate whereveer they wanted...but we were footing the bill...so I gave Disney dollars in the amount we were willing to spend...if they spent less...hurray for them, if more; then they had to add their own cash.
But in your case...a Disney gift card would be better if you don't want them to deal with change.
:pirate:

KylesMom
01-18-2010, 06:55 PM
I'm going to use Disney Dollars for my grandchildren...unless they are no longer available. While Disney Dollars are still available, you cannot purchase them at TDS like you used to be able to do. My mom (DS' Grandma) loved to do that for DS in past years, but now she can't just pop into the local mall to get them. :( I agree, gift cards are the better option.

They do not separate amounts available on the room keys. We've had a few reports whereby guests (such as sisters or friends) were able to each front either their own credit cards or cash to their own room keys - staying in the same room. However, it largely depends on the CMs on shift who are "in the know" on how to do this function. Many will tell you it simply can't be done. Here's a post which discusses this very thing:

Room Charging Priviledges - Separate Room Keys (http://www.intercot.com/DISCUSSION/showthread.php?t=163092&highlight=Separate+Room+Keys+with+Charging+Privile dges)

It's kind of like separating your room keys from your park tickets - if you can find someone at the front desk who knows how to do it, terrific. However, during our 14-night stay in June, after trying several different times, we finally gave up - even though we know it can be done. We'll be taking our 2009 room keys back to Disney in July to put our one-day base ticket purchases towards the purchase of A/Ps - simply because each time we checked in at our hotel desk, no one was aware of how to do it.

Goofy4TheWorld
01-18-2010, 10:32 PM
1) Just like everyone has said, it is possible to assign individual charging limits to individual room keys within the same room, but you may have to train the CM how to do. It has been reported that if you insist on seeing a manager, they will usually know how to do it, or at least know where in the manual to look for instructions.

2) You can place cash down for a spending account. In fact, you do not have to give Disney a credit/debit card at all if you so choose.

3) If you place cash down for a spending limit, but do not spend all of that money, they will issue you a refund, in cash, at the front desk during checkout.

4) Even if you can't find a CM to separate the money and you have to keep the money separated in your head, using the room account instead of a gift card has one big advantage. If you loose a gift card, you will likely spend a good part of the day on the phone reviewing the card transactions to see if anything has been stolen from it PLUS you may not even get it replaced until your trip is over. With the room key, you go to the front desk, look at the printout to make sure nothing has been charged, and get a new room card issued right on the spot.