PDA

View Full Version : ECV/Walkers and Rain

Disney4us2
01-18-2010, 10:53 AM
I was wondering how those with walkers/rollators and ECV's keep your wheels dry in the rain.:umbrella:

I was at Disneyland yesterday and knew it would rain. :rain: I was semi prepared with a large clear bag to keep my walker dry and it worked. It was not the most ideal though, and made it hard to sit down. I ended up getting a couple of poncho's (couldn't find all the ones I have at home)

I was thinking of getting a stroller rain cover. Would that work? Could that also work on an ECV? Just trying to deciede between August or December. I know I will have a lot more rain in August.

Thanks in advance:mickey:

peemagg
01-18-2010, 05:05 PM
I use a couple of ponchos over my ECV when I am not on it. I also have a cover for the tiller. It has a clear plastic part on top of the cover and a couple of arm holes to put your hands through. The rest of the scooter gets covered by my poncho that I am wearing.

If you want one of those covers do a search for mobility scooter accessories. The one that I have came out of the U.K..

DisneyPrincess21
01-18-2010, 10:55 PM
I use a couple of ponchos over my ECV when I am not on it. I also have a cover for the tiller. It has a clear plastic part on top of the cover and a couple of arm holes to put your hands through. The rest of the scooter gets covered by my poncho that I am wearing.

If you want one of those covers do a search for mobility scooter accessories. The one that I have came out of the U.K..

Is it something that you can use while driving the ECV in the rain? When I went in December we had a couple of days of rain and we had to stay in the room because we weren't suppose to use the ECV in the rain. I was wishing we could come up with something we could use to protect the ECV so we could still go out to the parks, but we couldn't come up with anything.

peemagg
01-19-2010, 06:30 AM
Yes

It goes over the tiller and sits on top of it. It has two cuffs on the side that you slip your hands into and then are able to use your controls like normal.

We were down there in May when they got those torrential downpours. It kept my tiller nice and dry. The tiller is where all of the electronics are for the scooter, so that needs to stay dry. The motor in the back is more water tight, and not as easily damaged.

TheDuckRocks
01-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the info on the tiller cover, I'm going to order one for my ECV. I take mine out in the rain all the time and the last time I did my gloves got soaked. As for covering mine I always have on hand a great, great big black plastic trash bag in the bottom of the basket, I have found they cover the ECV more completely than the expensive one that came with it. When we went down to WDW at Christmas I got one of those huge bags in which you can gift wrap a bike. Much more festive and it worked great and was only a buck at the Dollar Tree.

peemagg
01-19-2010, 05:48 PM
I don't know what ECV you have, but mine is the Pride Go-Go Elite and the cover I ordered was a large size and it is really too big for my tiller. It works but, it is large. If yours is about the size of mine you might want to try the smaller size.

Disney4us2
01-19-2010, 07:02 PM
I don't have an ECV yet. Right now I am using a rolling walker(rollator). It has a padded seat and storage under the seat. I just attach a backpack on the front bar for extra storage. It is fine for now. I can manage one day at Disneyland parkhopping. Don't know if I could for a trip to WDW.

I can walk short distances. It is just the standing that I can't do. As long as I am moving, I am ok. If I need to sit, I have my seat with me.

TheDuckRocks
01-20-2010, 10:44 AM
I don't know what ECV you have, but mine is the Pride Go-Go Elite and the cover I ordered was a large size and it is really too big for my tiller. It works but, it is large. If yours is about the size of mine you might want to try the smaller size.

I too have a Pride Go-Go Elite. Thanks for the heads up about ordering the smaller one.

peemagg
01-20-2010, 04:19 PM
You're very welcome. Glad I could help.

Disney4us2
02-06-2010, 11:58 PM
I went and got a stroller cover from Toys R Us. I was going to get one for a single stroller but ended up with a double (wide) one. It actually fit my rollator well, just baggy enough to cover everything.

I got to try it out today for a little bit. The rain we were supposed left just after we arrived:D For worked great!:thumbsup: It kept everything dry. The cover also comes with a carry pouch.

Mickie the Pooh
03-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Normally you can use a scooter in the rain if the controls are covered, all rental agencies give you a clear plastic shower cap for this purpose and I always have extras of these, also don't drive the scooter through puddles or standing water.
most ponchos can cover the controls, most of the scooter and you, and you can have another one or a garb age bag to cover the seat when you get off such as to board a ride or something. I also have a canopy with sides and back and a clear cover that goes over all but it is very hard to see through the cover when wet.