View Full Version : Surprise Trip Pre-trip Report: 1/23 - 2/1, CBR

Mousefever
01-18-2010, 03:31 AM
January 23 – February 1
Caribbean Beach Resort, preferred location
Tom – husband and dad extraordinaire, 55
Me (Amy) – 38
Jacob – 11 ½

This trip was originally not supposed to happen. When I suggested a January trip to my husband, he decided he didn’t want to go to Disney World for a while. I don’t know whether he was just extra grumpy that day or what, but he changed his tune within a few days. However, I chose to keep this change of heart from our son. He still believes that there is no upcoming trip.

I wanted to surprise Jacob with this trip, but I wanted to do it in a new way. I wracked my brain to think of some original idea, but I wasn’t having much success. Then I noticed a neat discussion in the Theme Parks section of Intercot. The thread was about acts of kindness witnessed in the parks. I was inspired by the ways in which people were touched by kindness while at Disney World. At the same time, I read about a family making a countdown calendar to heighten the anticipation for their upcoming trip. Voila! I decided to make a kindness calendar as a Christmas present for Jacob with a surprise at the end. The calendar started on the 26th of December and it ends on the 24th of January. Each evening, Jacob has pulled back a sticky square to reveal a suggested act of kindness for the next day. The acts of kindness have included various ideas, like donating one of his toys to charity, writing Christmas thank you notes, remembering to do chores without being reminded, holding the door open for someone, etc.

When Jacob reveals his act of kindness for Saturday, January 23rd, he will see, “Give a compliment to a cast member in Disney World!” We leave early the next morning for the airport.

Jacob will be missing a total of six days of school. He hasn’t missed a day of school so far this school year. His teacher, who is on board with the trip, will be making a homework packet for him to take with us. He can accomplish much of the work on our non-stop flights there and back. We also tend to spend part of the afternoon back at the resort, so he can work on it then too. Our school district has a pre-planned absence form that can be approved by his teacher and it will allow him to have his absences excused.

I am starting an on-line class before the trip, so I’ll be bringing my Macbook, and will bite the bullet and pay for a few days of internet access. I hope that there won’t be much work the first couple of weeks!

This is the first year that Jacob isn’t frightened by fireworks. We plan to take advantage of his bravery and watch Illuminations and Wishes. We have never been able to stay in MK for Wishes because of Jacob’s level of discomfort.

We are not on any dining plans this trip. Since Jacob turned 10 and became an “adult” diner, we have not purchased a dining plan. Jacob doesn’t eat enough to warrant the cost. We have several ADR’s, including Artist Point, a family favorite.

We are six days away from the start of our trip and I’m super excited!!!

Amy

bouncer
01-18-2010, 07:24 AM
Sounds wonderful. What a great idea for the surprise. I hope you have a great trip.

fielin
01-18-2010, 07:54 AM
I think this is a wonderful idea !

And it will teach him that you are always rewarded for an act of kindness.

Have a great trip, and good luck with the course !

BigRedDad
01-18-2010, 08:19 AM
This is a great idea and I like. There is only one thing I would change. I would not tell him the day/night before. He won't go to sleep. Wake him up and tell him that morning.

My DD is only 4 with a concept of time of 5 minutes being the same as 5 years. We cannot even let her know we are going. It is a daily thing of her asking when we are leaving for Disney. I will wake her up at 5AM tell her we are heading to the airport to see Mickey. She will be up, out the door, and in the car in her pajamas by 5:05AM. 5 hours later, we should be checking in to CSR.

yourmagicalguide
01-18-2010, 10:48 AM
What a great surprise! Aren't you lucky your husband had a change of heart ;)

It sounds like a wonderful trip you have planned. I look forward to reading a follow-up trip report once you and your family have returned :)

faline
01-18-2010, 12:44 PM
What a lovely way to have Jacob "earn" his trip! I hope you all have a spectacular time and tell us all about it when you return!

goofynmd
01-19-2010, 07:56 PM
What an amazing idea. :number1: I hope you have a wonderful time.

KylesMom
01-22-2010, 03:25 PM
I'm so excited for you - what a great idea! Have an unforgettable trip, and be sure to report back & let us know how your adventure was. I'd also love to know his reaction to the revealed act of kindness! :mickey:

Mousefever
02-23-2010, 02:05 AM
Bump.

mouseketeer mom
02-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Love the surprise element. I've never been able to keep the surprise, and admire those that do. Also fantastic that the time will be an excused absence from school!

SBETigg
02-23-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm reading your trip reports now-- so fun! I'm glad the surprise worked out.

yjgirl32
03-01-2010, 09:40 AM
What a great idea- I might borrow that idea for our trip in Oct. Thanks for sharing.

DisneyorBust
03-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Just started reading your reports, what a great surprise for your son!